Gaming my computer is kinda slow? And my Internet as well...

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey all, last days I noticed that my computer and my Internet were really SLOW, terribly slow to be honest. My iPod and PS Vita even have faster Internet... -.-

So I guessed that I had a virus, I am not sure to be honest. I tried un-installing my second cloud virus scanner.(Panda Cloud Scanner) I also uninstalled all programs I installed last days and it made my Internet a bit faster+that my pc became a tiny weeny bit faster! :D YES! I thought.

But I am still not trusting it, since last Wednesday it was? Maybe, but I was playing on my Vita, and I was sitting in front of my PC and... well suddenly all my games started that had a shortcut on my desktop and all my Word and maps opened out of nothing... then my account tried to log off after I tried to start up task manager. I was like fuck I am hacked or whatever! So I pressed my power button. And well no viruses were found...

Can give me any ideas what the problem could be? Could it be a virus? Could I be hacked?

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
Just like Mantis41 said, enable showing hidden and system files (it doesn't matter if you have win7 you still can do it).
After that download avast free, disable and unplug internet and do a full system scan in full I mean, not only the windows partition, I mean the whole hard drive with the highest sensitivity and check "try cleaning and/or deleted malicious/infected files"!
I know it will take long, but it's the best solution for a "healthy" scan. At least for me it always worked.
Hope I helped! ;)

Bluemoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're using a laptop, what kind of wireless are you using: wireless N or wireless G? I seem to have more issues with N than G in my personal experience. Restart your router pull the cable for about 15 seconds pop it back in, you might want to reset your modem as well. The next step I would take is possibly run CCleaner on your computer get rid of some of that junk gunking up your system. Next I would run a virus scan, super anti spyware should do ok, and it's free get rid of all that adware.

Next if you're still having issues I would run these commands in a console window:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

For the simple fact that if you have a conflicting IP address on your network you could see some funky things going on with your connection.

If you have wireless G I would recommend setting it up if your router is dual-band. Much more stable, and we really do not have fast enough internet to utilize wireless N.

If you still are having problems it is possible something is going on internally on your network. If you want to get to the very bottom of it you could use a packet analysis software like wireshark, though if the rest of the devices on your network are not having issues, I would rule this out.

Try connecting via ethernet cable, see if you still have issue it is a possibility your wireless card is jacked.

If all of these steps prove unsuccessful re-install your OS.

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay people, hidden files can be viewed(The first thing I did when I got my pc ^^) But yeah I will try all your solutions.

@Bluemoo no, the laptop is pretty old.(Nearly one year)

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, check for updates, then run a full scan.
If that comes back with no results, then it likely isn't a virus or malware problem.

Other things to try, download CCleaner and run the cleaner to erase temp files that may be slowing your computer down. Also scanning and clearing registry errors with this program is a good idea.

There are still other things you can do, but try the basic ones first.

Reactions: 1 person

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Right, I already run CCleaner once a week. AlanJohn, could you explain your ram theory? Like what could eat my ram? A program I installed recently? A program that had an update?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Slowness can also be caused by high access to the page file (especially if it's fragmented). I would suggest looking at what programs and processes are using it... But I'm not good at explaining that. Anyway, defragging your drive can help speed things up a lil.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte