Gaming My computer got reformatted, i need help recovering the files (redo)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My brother was trying to upgrade one of my computers from XP to Windows 7, but for some reason it said it was upgrading, but it copied none of the files and then just reformatted it the whole computer! Is there any possible way I can recover the files?
Yes I know I spelled "reformatted" wrong in the title. I am not th world's best speller and I always forget letters when I write.

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can't. If it formatted your hard drive, you can't get them back. To be sure, look on the root of your hard drive (:/C) to see if there is a folder called windowsold000 or something like that. That might have your files in it. Otherwise, sorry.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
asdf said:
You can't. If it formatted your hard drive, you can't get them back. To be sure, look on the root of your hard drive (:/C) to see if there is a folder called windowsold000 or something like that. That might have your files in it. Otherwise, sorry.
I did that, shit. I found a program that my brother said to try, it seems to find some of the files but not the ones I am looking for

TheNewbPleaser

Trophies
XP
Country
Lol.. u cant recover and asdf is right give a search for windowsold or windowsold000 if u cant it u have ur files but if u dont u cant have em back.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Did your 'brother' install it straight off the CD, or did he just start the Windows 7 Upgrade from Windows XP? If he did the former (which is the only option btw, its a trick question), then no, you can't recover your files.

The only way to 'upgrade' from Windows XP to Windows 7 would be by upgrading to Vista and then Windows 7, or by doing a clean install, which is what your 'brother' did.

Good luck getting your data back..

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ZeWarrior said:
Did your 'brother' install it straight off the CD, or did he just start the Windows 7 Upgrade from Windows XP? If he did the former (which is the only option btw, its a trick question), then no, you can't recover your files.

The only way to 'upgrade' from Windows XP to Windows 7 would be by upgrading to Vista and then Windows 7, or by doing a clean install, which is what your 'brother' did.

Good luck getting your data back..
He did it straight from XP itself and alright, I shall keep that in mind

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Never upgrade it only causes problems. And yes you can recover the files (some of them) just google for a program.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
When i went to Windows 7 from Windows XP all my files was in windowsold on the root of the hard drive.
Though i count access them or delete them, so i had to reformat. Then after about an hour on Windows 7 i went back down to Windows XP

rofl2.gif
all my files was lost
frown.gif

Hatsu

Someone's been killing, eh?
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
deanxxczx said:
When i went to Windows 7 from Windows XP all my files was in windowsold on the root of the hard drive.
Though i count access them or delete them, so i had to reformat. Then after about an hour on Windows 7 i went back down to Windows XP

rofl2.gif
all my files was lost
frown.gif

Cool story, bro.

xmrnogatcox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's called Hiren'd Boot CD

Google it.

Take some time and learn how to do a DOS-based data retrieval.

I can tell you that the posts above mine are absolutely wrong. You can do data retrieval AFTER a hard drive is formatted, as long as you didn't do a FULL format.
Hopefully you chose to do a quick format.

Even if you did a full format, there is still hope. Try the boot disc and I bet you will be able to recover a LOT of your data, but probably not all of it.

P.S.- I am not going to walk you through the steps entirely. If you read up on it and have some questions, I'll answer them. I WILL NOT hold your hand all the way through. There's a wonderful thing called "Search Engine" that holds hands just fine.

GL

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
GetDataBack is also another good program to retrieve wiped files. Be sure not to install anything further to the drive you want to receover, or try and use it for that matter until you can attempt a recovery. It'll decrease the chances of you recovering more data the more writes it makes to disk.

Chances are alot of your files are gone. Windows 7 takes up a considerable amount of disk space.

todd72173

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah - looks like your files are permanently gone since you Installed Windows 7 over them. All those backup files work well - except you cant write over it. Since you did - you better get your brother to buy you a new pc or something.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
todd72173 said:
Yeah - looks like your files are permanently gone since you Installed Windows 7 over them. All those backup files work well - except you cant write over it. Since you did - you better get your brother to buy you a new pc or something.
Yeeaahhh.... his 'brother'..
happy.gif

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DaRk_ViVi said:
You can also try Recuva, should be freeware. :)
I am using that right now

Posts merged

Raiser said:
QUOTE(todd72173 @ Dec 4 2009, 07:07 AM) Yeah - looks like your files are permanently gone since you Installed Windows 7 over them. All those backup files work well - except you cant write over it. Since you did - you better get your brother to buy you a new pc or something.
Yeeaahhh.... his 'brother'.. ^_^
Yes, I don't like using windows. So I avoid it, my brother is the one who works with it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol