My brain is thinking again =)

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think it would be possible to implement a personal phone number system worldwide?

First things first, we would have to re-work how to reroute communications without using just numbers. For example, a typical phone number may be 921 384 3821. We need to standardize phone service to work with basic ASCII characters letters from A-Z and numbers.

To do this, you would just assign a unique 2 digit number to every character. So when a user puts "A" the systems would read it like 23 (which can further break down in binary but we don't care about that).

Next thing, bypass the limit on limitation of numbers. I don't know what the limitation on how long a number can be, but it is going to have to support long chains of numbers
wink.gif

The last thing is staying consistent with a universal phone number system:
{
From the first thing, it would be possible to have a phone number titled JoeShmoe. The systems can convert that to a number and call that person. However, there would be many people with the same and last name, so to combat that, you would attach a 3 digit unique ID on the end of each name like JoeShmoe001
}

Some advantages:
-To contact someone, you need to know their 3 digit unique number and their name. 3 numbers is easier to remember then a 7 digit number. Names are generally harder to forget than numbers but I fall into an exception to that because I remember numbers pretty easily (Credit card numbers for the win!).
-When someone gets a call, we would automatically know who it is. A standard for a phone would be to implement a system that converts a number into a name minus the three digit number.
-Are current number system is filling up, pretty soon we will fall into the pigeon hole principle with numbers and people.

Some Disadvantages:
-People would know who they are calling if they are prank calling someone (on the converse side, they would know who is prank calling them without restrictedness)
-Longer numbers to dial (but just about every phone has a way to store numbers, at most you would have to call someone manually a few times in a lifetime)
-What if there are over a thousand people with the same last name, first name, and have a cell phone? (Urge them to change their name because that name sucks for originality).

Have a nice day

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Old phone numbers can be reused and you can already store people's numbers together with their names in the current generation of phones (and in all mobile phones), so I don't see the point in this. It's a nice idea though, but practically impossible.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice Arctic
happy.gif

I think our era is behind on new ideas, these blogs are just manifestations of my boredrum =)

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Funny, I've wondered about numbers that apply to a person rather than a particular SIM too.

What about, instead of a name, each person is just given a code that doesn't change? If someone changes their phone then the code will still apply to them, so there's no need to send messages to everyone in your phonebook when you get a new phone.

Mind you, maybe that makes stalking people easier.
laugh.gif

Tokyo Jihen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
Funny, I've wondered about numbers that apply to a person rather than a particular SIM too.

What about, instead of a name, each person is just given a code that doesn't change? If someone changes their phone then the code will still apply to them, so there's no need to send messages to everyone in your phonebook when you get a new phone.

Mind you, maybe that makes stalking people easier.
laugh.gif
That sounds like a social security number
tongue.gif

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The problem with these ideas is that you need the world to agree with you. What if we instead put telephones inside everyone's head that way everyone can just think who they want to call.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte