My Best Estimate For The Successor To The Switch

Paralel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order to make it backwards compatible with the Switch, they will stick with the Nvidia SOC's. It will essentially be a Nintendo specific modification of the Nvidia Orin NX 8GB, 10W TDP, Q1-Q2 2025. So that would be twice as many cores, twice the speed, twice the RAM, and roughly 4 times the processing power. The graphics cores will be based on a derivative of the Ampere architecture. 1080p handheld and 1440p in dock mode. The screen will be OLED so that it can do HDR. A worthy successor to the Switch.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's currently a $400 part so it doesn't seem plausible for the sort of price bracket Nintendo shoots for. They will be looking at a SoC that's already cheap now and will be dirt cheap in a couple years.

Paralel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's currently a $400 part so it doesn't seem plausible for the sort of price bracket Nintendo shoots for. They will be looking at a SoC that's already cheap now and will be dirt cheap in a couple years.

Yeah, but that's retail, and also not volume. Plus that is today's price, in 3 years the next gen Atlan will be out. Also, Nintendo could do a customization of Orin to bring down per SOC costs like reduce the number of CPU or GPU cores, which would also improve battery time. They could use Xavier rather than Orin, but that hardware would be 5 years old when released. To me, that is just too old if they want to get a 7-8 year lifespan out of it like they did the Tegra X1.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thing is there is no indication that they are going to stick with the Switch architecture or even form factor. Nintendo does what Nintendo wants to do. You want your previous games playable on the new hardware? Get ready for upgraded ports that you will have to buy again to use, because its far more lucrative to do that than putting in any effort for backwards compatibility. THAT is the reality that is Nintendo in this current age.

Also that is if they even bother with hardware anymore. There has been no hint past the switch pro rumors of new hardware on the horizon. It seems they are more focused on milking their franchises in other ways right now than focusing on next generation hardware. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if they pull a Sega and just become a publisher in the long run. It would be more profitable for them to just make their own digital store and sell their own games through that.

Reactions: Takokeshi

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They haven't announced anything, and you are already blaming them for pulling a Sega and doing other anti-consumer things. Nice Nintendo bashing. What's the occasion?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, but that's retail, and also not volume. Plus that is today's price, in 3 years the next gen Atlan will be out. Also, Nintendo could do a customization of Orin to bring down per SOC costs like reduce the number of CPU or GPU cores, which would also improve battery time. They could use Xavier rather than Orin, but that hardware would be 5 years old when released. To me, that is just too old if they want to get a 7-8 year lifespan out of it like they did the Tegra X1.
It was per 1000 units not retail. It would be nice if they went for decent hardware for a change but I don't see them ever doing that again now after the ridiculous success of the Switch.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They haven't announced anything, and you are already blaming them for pulling a Sega and doing other anti-consumer things. Nice Nintendo bashing. What's the occasion?
I do not believe my statement is considered a blame, more of a viable conclusion for the company.

As for the "anti-consumer things" They literally did this with the Wii U ports on Switch, also did you already forget about the Virtual Console, and the fact that it still has not made a return on the Switch for no good reason, leaving behind the games you bought again to play just so they could push an online subscription system that seems to offer much less in comparison?

I am not Nintendo bashing, I am only stating truth. Perhaps you need to stop being a Nintendo fanboy and wake up.

Paralel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order to make it backwards compatible with the Switch, they will stick with the Nvidia SOC's. It will essentially be a Nintendo specific modification of the Nvidia Orin NX 8GB, 10W TDP, Q1-Q2 2025. So that would be twice as many cores, twice the speed, twice the RAM, and roughly 4 times the processing power. The graphics cores will be based on a derivative of the Ampere architecture. 1080p handheld and 1440p in dock mode. The screen will be OLED so that it can do HDR. A worthy successor to the Switch.

Looks like I might have been right, but off by about 3-6 months on the launch:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023...vs-switch-2-with-upscaled-breath-of-the-wild/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.