Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright I'm going to share some experiences with some AV's on my system.

Okay so I switched to Windows 7 and I did a fresh install. So I reinstalled my AV, BitDefender 2009. Since 2009 had low Windows 7 support, the BitDefender Team upgraded me to BitDefender 2010. Back in the Vista age, UAC & BitDefender did NOT like each other at all so I turned it off in 7. I ran into a dozen problems because of it and I blamed it on Vista just because Vista sucked. Now I have Windows 7 and yet some of the same things are still happening like BitDefender crashes or it fails to update or it won't scan or the BitDefender service won't start, ect. I hate it. Now onto my stories.

Like I said I switched to Windows 7 as a fresh install. This mean I needed to reinstall all of my programs so after my AV I installed my favorite internet browser, FireFox. For some odd reason it was INSANELY slow. Not like the loading of pages or download speed, it was like the UI was slow. It constantly froze, I got so annoyed so I switched to Chrome. Nice browsing experience, went with it for at least a couple months. Then Flash started acting up to the point of where I got sick of it. I went to FireFox, I thought with 3.6 released it would be faster. I was wrong. This time I decided to figure out why the hell it was so slow. It was faster on Vista. I went through each add-on I downloaded and disabled them. Nothing. Until I looked at an add-on I DIDN'T download and was there by default. BitDefender Phishing Toolbar. Disabled that and viola problem solved. Firefox was as fast as ever. Just another reason to NOT buy BitDefender.

Next, I had this absurd idea that I should update plugins. I started with Shockwave (don't ask me why I did this, even idk). Like all Adobe plugins, there's a Windows Installer. As it ran the installer it never mention anything about the damn Norton Security Scan that would install itself in the background. Usually it would TELL ME but this time it just didn't. After the installer was done, there was "Install NSS" shortcut with a Norton icon on my desktop. Trashed that away. Next boot up, IT STARTED TO SCAN MY COMPUTER. I was getting very frustrated. I Googled "NSS" to see if I could get a solution. Of course there a bunch of users that stated NSS doesn't go away after uninstall, it'll just reinstall itself again. This is when I got fed up and pulled out the big guns (not really). Revo Uninstaller set to Expert. Cleaned that thing out like a baby's ass. Rebooted, no sign of NSS so I was done.

Note that this is all in the same day. I know one thing for sure now. I'm going ESET NOD32 once this bullshit BitDefender is done.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay now my BitDefender AV keeps giving pops on random pieces of legit files and saying they're infected with Trojan.Swizzer.Gen.8. I've found someone else on another forum with exact same problem. BitDefender keeps giving pop-ups like every 10 minutes... Time to use Rydian's infection-removal guide.

EDIT: There was a bug in BD. Patch was released this morning.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DTApple
    please let me look cool as well
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtzMUJIofNg