Kayot

OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
A while back I purchased a PSVita. Long after it was declared dead and obviously right after an exploit was found to allow hacked games to run on the system. While the act of running said games is morally ambiguous, I have this tendency to attempt to collect every game for a system. Something that wouldn't be feasible under normal circumstances. To put this into perspective, I have a copy of every game made for every system created at and before the original Playstation. I've never really played them. I just like collecting them. It's like an episode of Hoarders for digital data.

I was enjoying playing Disgaea 3 on the Vita, being a long time fan and those being perhaps the only games I would buy for Sony consoles. I had purchased D3 and all DLC for my PS3. I totally got a pirated version of D3 for my Vita. Disgaea 3 - Absence of Detention [PCSB00098].

Which I enjoyed quite a bit. I also pirated D4, but that has little to do with this story.

So about a week ago I decided that I didn't like how my neck felt after a long time of playing and I hated how my thumbs would occasionally block the speakers on the unit. So I figured, I'll get a PSTV and while I'm at it, I'll get a legitimate copy of D3 and D4 plus a PS4 controller to use on the unit.

I wanted to be able to swap my cart and card between the systems. While at home I could play using my big screen. While out I could use my Vita. It sounded like a great idea.

My box of goodies arrived on Friday after work. I opened it and my first impression was less than enthusiastic. The package was bland, the PSTV was tiny, and in all honestly I just jumped to the next phase. Hacking the unit.

Most everything went well. The Firmware was on 3.20, so I updated it using Henkaku's DNS. I think I could have used the USB slot as well. I decided to use a network cord instead of the wifi since I had already got the switch installed for other systems and a PC. I got Henkaku setup and then permanently installed.

It's a shame that I couldn't get Adrenalin setup due to the PSN store being a jerk. However I have a high end PC hooked up and the PPSSPP emulator along with other emulators, so this point was moot.

Once it was all setup, I went about using Vita-sav3mgr (Thanks to SKGleba for telling me about this) to get my Saved Games ported from my hacked versions to my legitimate versions of D3 and D4.

It took me a while to get the hang of it, but it was working. I got the games transfered, I ended up installing an update patch to D3 to get it to run on the PSTV since it wasn't white listed, and I was off playing D3. Or so I thought.

-= Legitimate Issues =-

Turns out that D3 wasn't actually updated to work with the PSTV. All NIS did is add it to the white list. There is this function called HQ or Honor Quotient. This uses the GPS on the Vita to see how far you've physically traveled while playing the game. The PSTV doesn't have a GPS. Rather than make it so the HQ stops working when on the PSTV it instead displays a warning screen informing the user that the function isn't working. Not what function, just that a function isn't working.

Warning Message: "This feature cannot be used"

This message would pop up every time the game tried to access the GPS function on the PSTV. This happens ALOT. Sometimes it would go five minutes without a pop up. Sometime there would be three to twenty about a second apart. It completely destroyed immersion.

WTH is this shit? Was my immediate thought. So I began the long process of figuring out what this error message was and more importantly how to stop it. I figured this was a recent issue and maybe a patch was on the way to fix it. Unfortunately this issue was first noted in 2015. More importantly, NISA knows about it and has no intention of fixing it. They consider the PSTV not worth their time.

Well that's just great. I decide to get a little honest and in an almost comical shuffle of events I've been put down like in Highschool when I asked the head cheer leader out. Honestly I think this was more brutal. NIS wasn't going to fix this. At least the head cheer leader later regretted the decision. Something NIS isn't going to do.

I decided that this was a simple issue. One of the things I've done in the past is disable a CD check on a video game. All I had to do was get the GOTO in the address to the next step or NOOP it. Instant no-cd crack. All I had to do was figure out what was causing this HQ issue and disable it. I wasn't looking forward to the daunting task of finding it either. But it had to be done. While searching I found a Reddit Page;

*Snip*

Disgaea 3 PSTV bypass GPS error message "this feature cannot be used" self.VitaPiracy
Submitted 9 months ago * by patbz

As those of us who have tried playing Disgaea 3 AoD on a PS TV will know, an error message saying "this feature cannot be used" will pop up at random interval making the game literally unplayable on a PS TV.
This is due to a feature in the game called HQ "honor quotient" which gets increased by using the GPS in the VITA to keep track of how far you have traveled.

Since the PSTV does not have a GPS, this causes the error message.

However this HQ function does not get turned on until after the tutorial stages are over and this provided a chance to see if there was a variable in the game that we could find to prevent the HQ function from turning on at all.
After comparing saves and memory dumps from before and after the tutorial when the HQ function is turned on, I have now found the address the game writes to in order to turn on the HQ function.

Add the below code to your favorite cheat plugin and it will disable the HQ function completely and no more error messages will occur again when playing the game on a PS TV.

Rincheat:
#Turn off HQ function
@0x81A7DC2A @0x00 @1

GoHANmem:
#Turn off HQ function
@0x81A7DC2A @1 @0000
Several caveats:
  • These offsets only work on the EU PCSB00098 version of the game, I do not know if they will work on any other regions.
  • If you use the code during the first chapter of the game, every time you talk to Geoffrey he will display his "what is the honor quotient" dialogue and turn back on the HQ function again, either re-enable the code or freeze the value to keep the HQ function turned off.
  • After chapter 1 is finished, it appears Geoffrey will no longer force the HQ function back on again when you speak to him so after you save your game from chapter 2 on-wards you should no longer need to keep the code activated.
  • Needless to say this removes the HQ function from the game completely and I do not know if there are any unforeseen consequences further in the game since I am only at chapter 2 - but I think turning off HQ is a small price to pay to disable the error message pop-ups and being able to play on the PS TV.
  • The only reason so much time was spent personally looking into this was because I had brought a PS TV solely to play this game. Since the game is now several years old I doubt this will be of much interest to many people, but I am sharing this so that hopefully somebody will be able to find this useful someday.

Where someone had found the offset and I was stoked. It was a simple on/off switch! Unfortunately their offset was for; and this was ironic, the hacked copy I just un-installed and had gone through the effort of swapping saved games from.

Further, the two copies were near identical. I figured the offset would work with the North American release of the game. There was just one problem. I had to use Rincheat to get it to work. Installing a PSV plugin isn't trivial. I followed the instructions and they didn't work. I ended up using the config.txt to get the plugin working for just D3. After I got it setup, it turns out that RinCheat only works with games dumped by Vitamin. Which means I couldn't used D3 since it required an update to run and for whatever reason; probably a file link in the executable, I couldn't use a VPK and have the update for the white list. At this point I had been at it for about seven hours.

I decided to simply give up using my legitimate copy of D3. Sure I could probably get it to work, however NIS has just shit in the stew and I was just done with being legitimate right now. I already had the VPK for the hacked copy on the memory card. I decided to just go with it.

I backup my saves up, changed the saves GameID again to point at the hacked copy, deleted the D3 update install for the legitimate copy, installed the hacked copy, white list the game, pointed Rincheat at the hacked copy, put the code in from the above link, and I turned HQ off. The game was now playable.

To sum it all up,

I ended up using a hacked copy of a game I bought. I had to use a cheat engine to disable something a patch could have fixed. I had to white list the game to get around a buggy update. I basically needed a hacked system to play a game that I legitimately purchased. That doesn't sit right with me.

I also had to set the read-only memory to read-write so I could remove 'Recommended Games' which kept popping up after every application exit and system reboot. It was damn annoying and PSN wouldn't even work so it was dumb to have.

That all said, I'm enjoying playing D3:AoD on my big screen with my completely voided warranty on the PSTV. The card can easily be swapped to my Vita and it keeps working. D3 doesn't even need the cart since I ended up re-pirating the game. D4 works fine from the cart.

I'm going to make a Tutorial for getting D3 working on the PSTV.

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo,
Reactions: Tony_93 and reprep

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Legitimate users are cheated again, not the first time. At least we have henkaku and plugins.

The blue led on my fat vita burns my eyes at night. Sony knows the problem, corrected it on 2000 series but never cared for fat vita users. Thanks to xerpi, i could write a henkaku plugin that turns off that stupid led.

Sony should thank hackers instead of pursuing them.

Reactions: Tony_93 and Kayot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Do any am4 boards support ddr5