My Acekard R.P.G. can't read microSD cards

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by zcLightning, Oct 16, 2008.

Oct 16, 2008
  1. zcLightning
    OP

Newcomer zcLightning Newbie

My friend and I recently bought a couple of AKRPG's from DealExtreme, which arrived in the mail yesterday. We tried 'em out, and they both work brilliantly, except one of them can't read microSD cards (the internal gigabyte of flash works fine, though). I'm guessing it got damaged in shipping, or it was just built faulty or something... Regardless, we tried with both the stock firmware and AKAIO 1.2, as well as trying different brands of microSD, formatted both FAT16 and FAT32. It just wouldn't read any of them (the other, working AKRPG could read them).

My friend's keeping the working AKRPG, 'cause I've already got a CycloDS Evo to play with [​IMG] But I would like to know what I should do about this semi-broken AKRPG. Should I try to send it in and get a replacement from DealExtreme, or perhaps the Acekard folks directly? Who should I contact about it, and will I end up having to mail my broken card back? Anyone have any experience with this sort of stuff?

Many thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the rpg micro usb port is for the 1gb of onboard nand mem only. it does not double as a msd card reader. you can copy/paste between the nand and the msd from the firmware gui, but thats the limitations. the msd simply isn't connected to the hardware of the micro usb. there is no way to hack it and/or update it.

now your post is a bit confusing so if that isn't what you mean, than perhaps you mean the msd slot isn't working? have you tried a known working msd card in that slot, and make sure its formatted correctly for the type of msd it is (2gb). i realize you said you have tried a few msd, but you didn't state if they were tested to be working. make sure its inserted straight and that it clicks into the spring. all you need for testing is 1 bit of homebrew since the firmware sits on the nanad mem. if it isn't working i would contact DX, do not waste the time of the team.

-another world

3. Swip

Member Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I've had that problem with my RPG also,
    Where the RPG doesn't detect the microSD.

4. zcLightning
    OP

Yes, I know the AKRPG's USB port is not used to make the device act as an SD reader. My concern is that the SD reading functionality of the AKRPG itself, when it is running in the DS, is completely broken [​IMG] And I'm quite certain that's the issue, since my friend's AKRPG (which was in the same order as mine) is able to read all the microSD's we throw at it, while mine is not able to read any of them. The NAND in my unit (as well as my friend's) works just fine and is able to be read from and written to.
    My main question here is whom I should talk to about getting a replacement [​IMG]
    After seeing this thread, I think I will try to contact the gmail address on their site's About page with my problem... Hopefully they will be just as helpful [​IMG]

Thanks for the replies!

5. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Hmm, I've never heard of AKRPG's not reading SD cards, might be something new...

6. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    wow i didnt even know dx sold RPG's

7. Another World

Colombia
    the thing is if you contact team acekard and tell them you need a replacement you better be able to back it up. they probably aren't going to send you out a 65$ flash kit based on the fact you said your new one doesn't work. also i have been in contact with them recently for a few projects i'm involved with and i honestly feel its a bit rude to try and get a kit out of them. what you should do i contact DX and do the RMA process. DX is very good about problems and will make it right.

team acekard was being very giving with the ak2s because of the huge problem they had with the kit for a few months. i don't expect that to last much longer as the 2.1 fixes all of the past issues. that thread you linked to is about the ak2 not an rpg.

-another world

8. zcLightning
    OP

Indeed. They replied right back to me and said I should get a replacement from DX. So I guess I'll be doing that [​IMG] Thanks for your help

9. Heeroo

Member Heeroo GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    now all is good^^.
    What is better Acekard2 or Acekard RPG

10. Another World

Colombia
    rpg has better build quality
    ak2 is much cheaper
    both handle the same apps/games for the most part.
    rpg has 1gb on on board mem, ak2 doesn't

the ak2 is essentially the rpg minus the nand and a cheaper build.

-another world