Hardware My 8GB DDR4 Ramdisk - CrystalDiskMark scores.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
My 8GB DDR4 Ramdisk speed is insane, and far better than I could have hoped coming from a DDR3 system. It's using 8GB out of 16GB G.Skill DDR4 2133MHz as a Ramdisk for saving large bootable ISO files from UltraISO, and testing them in VMware.

Here are my scores:

ramdisk.png

With my last PC build using 6GB of DDR3, I only got ~2,800 MB/s Read, and ~3,200 MB/s Write.

So I nearly tripled my Ramdisk speed with this i7 6700 build. I have another set of 16GB sticks coming to give me 32GB total to play with. I am more than impressed with this build.

Reactions: Originality

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... Explain to me how it's different from using RAM normally? Does it just automatically shove the stuff you want to run faster into RAM on startup?
It makes a virtual drive on your computer and maps the space for the drive in RAM. so when the system tries to read/write to that drive it really reading/writing to RAM.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
32 gb for gaming its useless, I have 8gb crucial sport ddr4. Too bad i cant use 2400mhz, the motherboard sucks. Im thinking in the future adding another 8gb sticks

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You could copy games and software into RAM disks but then you'll still have DLL dependencies.
Also, for people that are interested in it, you could get PCI cards which you can stuff with RAM sticks and have an actual function as an actual HDD.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could copy games and software into RAM disks but then you'll still have DLL dependencies.
Also, for people that are interested in it, you could get PCI cards which you can stuff with RAM sticks and have an actual function as an actual HDD.
Are those just constantly taking a small amount of power from the slot so it keeps the data?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn