My $80 16GB iPod Touch

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by SaltyDog, May 30, 2009.

May 30, 2009

My $80 16GB iPod Touch by SaltyDog at 5:36 AM (1,089 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. SaltyDog
    OP

Member SaltyDog GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Here is a lesson in "If ain't broke, don't fix it!!" While scouring the scourge of the Internet, Craigslist, I found someone dumping of their iPod Touch 16GB for 80 bucks. Just by pure luck I was the first respondant to their listing. The only thing is it had a crack that ran the width of the screen. Other than that it was fully functional. Even running your finger across the crack did not affect the playability of the iPod at all. But, not content on having a crack I ordered a new digitizer off of eBay. $25 with shipping. At the same time I ordered the Hardce leather backing from Deal Extreme (which by the way is very nice, not a perfect fit but still very nice). Digitizer arrived in a couple of days and I found some videos on how to remove the old digitizer. And, that is when everything went to hell. Because of the crack across the screen, as soon as I started to remove the glass it completely shattered. Then to make matters worse, none of the damn nutsacks on YouTube specified that the plastic frame was superglued to the digitizer; so while trying to remove the frame it crumbled. Frantically searched eBay for new plastic bezel. Found only one seller screwing people for $20 for a .10 cent item. Oh well, I needed it. It arrived two weeks later from Hong Kong. In horrid condition, but still useable. Wish I would have bought that friggin' insurance. After three stress filled hours I got it all put back together. I have changed GBA housing, PSP housing, my PSP screen, soldiered in my PS2 modchip, my Wii D2Pro etc. etc. I am a pro-am at this crap and I can say without a doubt never take apart your iPod. What a nightmare, and it wasn't really necessary if I could have just lived with that crack [​IMG]

2. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Pics or it didn't happen.

On a serious note, that is impression you went to such ends.

3. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Was it 2g or 1g? My friend had a 1g with a crack and it worked, though his cousin fixed it perfectly for him.

4. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    So was it worth it in your opinion?

5. SaltyDog
    OP

Member SaltyDog GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'll post some pics of it tomorrow. Er, later. Yeah in the end it was worth it. Although, I think my blood pressure went into orbit. But, 45 for the parts and 80 for the iPod. You still cant get a 16gig touch that cheap still. Who knows though, after Apple's announcement they may go way down in price [​IMG]

6. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Got my 16GB brand new for $190 US. =D one of my relatives friends owns a place somewhere in la that is a official apple reseller. he said he sold it to me a little above what he buys them for.

7. Smartpal

Member Smartpal The Guitar Guy

India
    I just got my 8gb 2g replaced with a new one from Apple due to the old one not being able to charge. [​IMG]

8. MrDillDough

Member MrDillDough GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Wow, that's some extent you went to to fix the screen. [​IMG]

This reminds me of the time when a friend of mine decided to sell an Iphone for $90. He then sold it to a close friend for $60. And there was absolutely nothing wrong with the Iphone; near perfect condition and worked fine. It's just the fact that there was a problem, as he says, that he has 3 in his family already. o.o

. . Can't wait to see the pictures. :L

9. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    lol,I bet he had funny trying to fix it, but to go to that extreme and not pimp the case, for shame.