Hacking my 3ds is wanting to update. how to stop it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardFlores

OP
Trophies
XP
I am getting an update on my 3ds to ask me to update the firmware. I have an acekard 2i installed and working well. (v1.8.8)

I read that the update stops the acekard from working.. How can I stop the update from trying to download. I have my lil girls that play with my 3ds and dont want them accidently hitting yes to update and then I lose my acekard functions.

THanks for the help.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your Acekard 2i shows up as Prince Caspian on the 3DS menu, then you are free to update to 3.0.0-6. If not, first update your Acekard by running this update file on your Acekard. After that is done, it should show up as Prince Caspian.

Edit: if you're worried about updates affecting your Acekard, I recommend you setup parental controls on your 3DS so no one can accidentally update it. It should also be noted that AKAIO 1.8.9z is the latest firmware for playing games on your Acekard.

Reactions: 1 person

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
If your Acekard 2i shows up as Prince Caspian on the 3DS menu, then you are free to update to 3.0.0-6. If not, first update your Acekard by running this update file on your Acekard. After that is done, it should show up as Prince Caspian.

Edit: if you're worried about updates affecting your Acekard, I recommend you setup parental controls on your 3DS so no one can accidentally update it. It should also be noted that AKAIO 1.8.9z is the latest firmware for playing games on your Acekard.
AKAIO is not a firmware, it's a loader.

As he said, if you activate Parental Controls it would stop the system from auto-updating.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You're right; I meant loader, which is why I included the "for playing games" part.
Figures, but you don't want to get the two confused else he might think AKAIO is the firmware I originally posted about and he'd just go and download that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're right; I meant loader, which is why I included the "for playing games" part.
Figures, but you don't want to get the two confused else he might think AKAIO is the firmware I originally posted about and he'd just go and download that.
AKAIO is a firmware which features loaders. Acekard cards have two types of firmware - "internal" firmware stored on the on-board chip that deals with basic I/O operations between the flashcart and the DS and "external" firmware with its system files stored on the SD card which deals the software side of things and interacts with the "internal one". Loaders are just a part of the "external" firmware.

To prevent confusion, the internal one is called "firmware" and the external is called "OS" or "OS Menu" or just "Menu".

NathanDuma

Trophies
XP
To clear something up, you cannot stop it from updating (there's no softmodding of the OS for the 3DS yet), which is why the answers focus on making sure the Ak2i still works after the update.
You can just set parent controls and then you can't update if you press cancel. I did that so my 3ds wouldn't update it self.

AC/DS

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, I'm a new 3DS user and thought this would be an appropriate thread to ask (as I am obviously too lazy to search for answers on the web).
Can the 3DS update itself to a higher firmware without any user interaction, i.e. without the user knowing?
Thanks in advance for info.
I too have been using a DS flashcard and would not like to wake up one morning to find out that... you know what.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Apparently minor updates (such as the list of Nintendo Zone valid SSIDs) can happen automatically, but major updates require user confirmation. If you're really worried, you could disable Wi-Fi on your 3DS, although you would still be vulnerable to updates on game cards.

pje122

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you need to set a specific restriction or does even setting up a PIN + Security Question put the Systen NAND update lock in place?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no way to block the 3DS from updating via parental controls on more recent firmwares (iirc it was removed around 4.5)

In the future, if you have a question, please create a new topic in the appropriate subforum rather than posting to a topic that has been dead for two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.