My 3DS Cameras aren't in-line

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by jweaver, Jul 27, 2012.

Jul 27, 2012
  1. jweaver
    OP

Newcomer jweaver Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I have had my XL for a few hours and am really happy.. But I just went into the Camera app and looked through the screen at the 3D cameras and the image was horrible.. So much so that it made me dizzy.

At first I thought/feared that it was the larger screen.. But after alternating my eyes (by winking) I could clearly see the problem.. THe images are at different hights.. Not a little bit.. Loads.. This means that my left eye is seeing an image at one height.. And my right eye the other.. And its not pleasant.

I have spoken to Nintendo and to be honest, I don't think they believe me.. They started to talk about "thats how 3D works", but I think I convinced them that this is wrong..

My fear is that if mine is like this, then what % of others are the same... Even if its a fraction of 1%, its a lot of units, and I have no doubt that a problem like this WOULD cause injury to someone eyes...

Anyone fancy checking theirs? Basically, you need to go into Camera mode.. Look at something horizontal.. And then alternate which eye you are looking through.. Is the object at the same HEIGHT through both eyes?

I look forwards to your thoughts

Jon

PS. My biggest gripe now is that in order to get this resolved, I have to buy a 2nd one so that I have both at the same time to do the transfer.. BUT.. Due to Nintendos restrictions, I can't do this for 7 days as they limit how often you can use the transfer feature....

2. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    I'll probably check that out tomorrow when I get mine.

Though I have never used the camera on my current 3DS xD (except for the first day test shots)

3. jweaver
    OP

United Kingdom
    And thats a very good point... I used the camera on my 3DS for a very short time.. Mainly just to play around and try the AR games.. So its not really a big deal.. BUT.. There must be people out there who do.. And if this is more than a one off, there could be a significant number of people world wide, who arn't quite as aware about how 3D works and would use this, oblivious of the fact that its not right and potentially dangerous.

Jon

4. jweaver
    OP

United Kingdom
    Here is a picture which shows the problem:

[​IMG]

5. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    This is your first 3DS?

Maybe you should borrow a 3DS from someone to see.

But judging by your picture, it shouldn't look like that, it should look like a regular photo, but in 3D (better feel of depth/maybe some elements popping out of you took a close shot).

6. jweaver
    OP

United Kingdom
    No its not.. I have a 3DS and thats fine.. The XL is broken.. Its so obvious.. I just interlaced the 2 images so that you can see the problem.. One of the frames is clearly higher than the other.. I assumed that people would understand what they were looking at with an interlaced frame..

WHen viewed on a 3DS this image would be like a photo but 3D.. But the one taken on the XL can't be viewed as the left frame is lower than the right.. Where as the 3DS they are perfectly aligned.

Here is the same image shot through my 3DS:

[​IMG]

7. jweaver
    OP

United Kingdom
    To be absolutely clear, so people arn't confused by the "Interlaced" image.. Here is the Left/Right image from my XL:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Note the height difference.. Look at the door in the background and see how much is missing on the right side. And now the same image from the 3DS:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Note that these are at the same height.. Again.. Look at the doors (and ignore the fact that they need cleaning :) )

8. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    do an adjustment from the system settings.
    sys settings . other settings . camera (or something like that)

9. jweaver
    OP

United Kingdom
    Really. I never knew there was an option. .Hang on.. Let me look........ Well I never.. You learn something new every day.. I did the Automatic calibration and couldn't get 3 green lights.. So I did manual and mine was set to -27.. I followed the instructions.. Bought the images in line and when it was right, it was at 0..

You are a star.. Thanks for that.. If only Nintendo had been more help..

Panic over!!

Jon

1 person likes this.
  10. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
  11. jweaver
    OP

United Kingdom
    In the settings, when you do a manual adjustment, as you move the image up/down it gives you a value. Mine as set to -27! It was right when set to 0.