My 360 finally bit it.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by El-ahrairah, Jul 29, 2008.

Jul 29, 2008

My 360 finally bit it. by El-ahrairah at 4:31 AM (1,290 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. El-ahrairah
    OP

Member El-ahrairah GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This morning as I was getting ready for work our power went out, for about 30 seconds to a minute. I didn't think anything of it and went on to work. However tonight when I got home, I turned on my 360 and got the RRoD. So I turned it off and waited about 30 minutes. I turned it on again and it booted up fine, but a few minutes in it froze. So I restarted and it froze at the startup animation. Tried again and it just wouldn't turn on. [​IMG]

So I jump on the xbox website to see about getting a repair. My console is only about 14 months old, but the website says my Warranty Status is "Out of Warranty". I'm not sure what they mean, I thought all xboxes had an extended 3 year warranty.

I guess I'll be calling them tomorrow after work, but while I wait, any advice you guys can give me? [​IMG]

2. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    you have to pay for the warranty. thats what it comes with inside the box. i think. at least it did with mine.

3. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    The extended 3 yr waranty only covers a RRoD. If you can somehow get your machine to RRoD, you can send it back in.M ake sure you find out what wrong with it first.

4. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Is there shock protection in the 360s? A couple years ago, the power company was doing some work with the power to our buildings. They failed to do something to prevent a surge when it came back on, and it fried my stereo that was plugged in at the time. I called the company to tell them that my stereo died, and they paid for a brand new one. A little more than I wanted considering that it was a really old unit and I even told them as much, but I wasn't complaining either.

Anyway, the point is that they have a guy on staff to handle claims, and if you really suspect your 360 malfunction is related to the outage then call them up and ask about it. If you're nice and don't start screaming at the guy "WHAT THE F** YOU GONNA DO ABOUT MY XBOX YOU %*$%*(" then they might agree. Not that I'm supporting shifting your burden onto other people, you might as well have used a surge protector and the power company could look at it that way as well.

5. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Hell no....there is no shock protection. I HIGHLY advise you to go out and get a surge protector to plug all your electronic shit into. They're relatively cheap. Like you, my stereo got fried and my multifunction printer got fried too because I had them plugged straight into the wall socket. Well maybe your power supply is fucked up and not the 360 itself.

6. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Tell them your machine RRoD'd, and they will send you a box. The 3 year warranty only covers the RRoD, so thats why your machine says its out of warranty

7. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    What he said. Mine said out of warranty too, but if it's RROD related there's a box you can check which will make it free. But if you send it in with the stuff they provide for free and it's not really RROD, they'll not only send it back to you but they'll also charge you.

The good news is that yours could be modded, warranty tape torn off, anything and they'll fix the red ring. [​IMG]

8. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Have you ever RMA'd a 360 before? Or anything to Microsoft? Or anything at all?

You have to send in your 360, after which they will test it in-house to confirm the issue. If it doesn't red ring, they'll just charge him to get it back. In other words, that would be a patent act of stupidity.