duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is so difficult for people to comprehend about having all your games easily accessible in case you should want to play a particular one? And then we hear "Oh, but there are only a handful of games worth actually having, lulz!" Just because you have your idea of what is enjoyable to play, doesn't mean that everyone else has the same narrow minded idea of what they like.
I've got more than a terrabyte of roms on my PC; full sets for all retro (cartridge) consoles, complete arcade sets for Mame, FBA, Winkawaks, Raine, Nebula, etc, and a lot (although nowhere near complete sets) for the 32bit and up cd systems. Included in that lot are a couple of 100gb's worth of nds and 3ds roms/cia's.
A big chunk of my massive collection is now playable on my 3ds, thanks to the ever increasing emu development.
...it's just not realistic to consider putting it all on to sd cards to have it accessible on my 3ds, and it's even less realistic to think that if I did I would play it all on my 3ds.
Even emulated on pc I've probably only loaded up a quarter of the roms I've archived over the last 15+ years, and out of those there's probably only 25% I've played more than a couple of times.
"Easily accessible" to me is having them available on my pc to transfer if I need them, not constantly available on my 3ds at all times.
No, you don't need a bigger sd, you just need to uninstall the stuff you're not playing - and it's not a case of trawling through title id folders on your card, just go to system management and uninstall them.

Last edited by duwen,

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
Or buy another SD card, like, just buy some 32gb or 64gb sd cards and that's it, buy it at a normal store and that's pretty much it, as i'm a 3DS Lover, i do love practically all the good games that could be offered to me, but again, with so many games on it, you might not even play them all, let alone complete them, you know, there is life outside of playing 144 games, and beating them, I'm not saying what you should do with your life, because everyone follows a different path, but i'm warning you, this could potentially be bad for you in the long run, it doesn't help that you're living in the country with some strict copyright rules, so, watch out what you're doing, you were warned.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not the issue at all, the issue is the boundary between SDXC and SDHC which have specification differences beyond anything to do with the formatting chosen i.e. sector sizes, CSD register, speed limits etc.

Read... Learn...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

Except...that SDXC cards work perfectly fine in the 3ds when formatted FAT32.

I thought 128 GB would be more than enough. Though actually after the emunand partition, I only have 117 to work with... Now I once again find myself in need of more space. There's still plenty I need to put on my 3DS. I'm considering getting a 256 GB micro SD, but wondering where the best place to find a legit card, and if it would even work with N3DS. Anyone have an idea?

There is a 300 installed app/game limit on the 3ds, including the New3ds. Keeping that in mind...

Always check out the reviews on amazon. Anything that's insanely cheaper than what the going rate for one is, you're getting a fake. Stick to known brand name, check out the reviews and ratings on amazon, and buy on amazon. It's important to have some sort of protection in case you get sent a fake one. Once you get it, run it through some test (easy to find free programs to do so), and then format FAT32.

A micro-sd card, sdhc or sdxc is fine, formatted FAT32 will work with a New3ds. There are a few free programs that'll format it to FAT32 for you (exFAT or NTFS will not work), but after that you're good to go. I mean, if you have a 128GB card, then you probably already went through this process.

Last edited by osaka35,

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't imagine needing that much space right now. 3DS stuff isn't that big, a 32GB card works for the most part. You should buy a Vita. You'd love it. The memory cards are super cheap and the games are even SMALLER than 3DS games! It's dope man.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't imagine needing that much space right now. 3DS stuff isn't that big, a 32GB card works for the most part. You should buy a Vita. You'd love it. The memory cards are super cheap and the games are even SMALLER than 3DS games! It's dope man.

3DS roms do take up a large amount of space i have 500+ GB worth on my server and im not even close to a complete collection. 6000 NDS roms takes about 300 GB but thats uncompressed..... only takes a few 25gb blu ray discs for archiving.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROFL:rofl2:.

Agree. PS Vita is so awesomely backward compatible with the PSP that you don't need your PSP UMDs anymore. Sony encourages people to trade their PSP UMDs away and download free digital copy via that usual place. (punt intended)

Last edited by tivu100,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
ROFL:rofl2:.

Agree. PS Vita is so awesomely backward compatible with the PSP that you don't need your PSP UMDs anymore. Sony encourages people to trade their PSP UMDs away and download free digital copy via that usual place. (punt intended)
yab , not only the Vita games are cheaper , but the memory too
also , the vita is capable on emulating almost every thing
from mame to N64 to NDS to dreamcast, i have 1 TB of games on vita card

RikuKawai

Femboy Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
thisis.moe
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I heard that too, but I also heard that only 32GB out of 128GB were usable.
It 'only supports 32GB' because they don't have a license for exFAT, it is a SDXC controller, but since exFAT is part of the SDXC spec, they can't say they support it. This is easily fixed by reformatting your card to FAT32.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wait, you have an 128GB sd card for your 3DS and you don't have enough space?! What do you put on your sd card?!!!
I have 64GB (56GB formatted and with EmuNAND) and I have 770MB free.

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, but it only likes formatting them in NTFS and exFAT.

FAT32 is required for the 3ds family, which windows is like "nope, ain't gonna do it for over 32GB"
Well, I've had no problems formatting 64GB microSDXC on fat32. But maybe because it's SDXC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)