Hardware Hacking Homebrew My 11.15 Luma a9lh>B9S New 3DS XL crashed while playing Pokémon X, now Luma says the CTRNAND has peaced

Phanthelia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
So, I was playing X on Friday trying to get the 10 Zapdos encounters, realised that my Lapras was now 67 instead of 65 cuz of doing all the other post game stuff, went to swap out a Pikachu and then the 3DS locked up when I picked Pikachu up.

Hard Reset the 3DS and it powered on but no screen. Powered off again and now Luma says it's "unable to mount CTRNAND as CTRNAND".

I saw TurdPooCharger say on an old thread to take out the battery to reset the RAM (that was the worst idea ever) and now instead of consistently crashing, it randomly decides when I press the power button 0-99 is do nothing while 100 seems to be letting me into Luma Config unless I've already configured Luma, then I just get a "Exception Occurred, Couldn't Mount CTRNAND, please use an external firm"

Problem is here that it seems to be ignoring any and all "external firmware".

I'm not even joking, I've got this thing to just turn on nearly as many times as I've gotten Shinies, which is about 4/5 times, which to me says it's still working, I just need to either figure out what causes it to allow me to boot Luma and use that to get into GM9 or just get lucky and bs my way into GM9 to restore a backup.

Any ideas on what's causing it to behave this way, I haven't been able to find anyone else who had this problem, they all either have complete bricks or can just effortlessly load up GM9 like usual and undo the brick.

(Also btw, I did completely disassemble the back of the 3DS to see if anything was up in there but it looks perfectly fine, everything was connected where it should be, so I put it back together again and now I'm just kinda hoping I'll get it to somehow boot into GM9 at this point.)

As I typed this out, I was able to get into GodMode9 2.1.0 but an exception occurred after setting the RTC, Data Abort 4, and now I'm back to square one again

Attachments

• DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 94

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is your sd card tested before with h2testw? And it seems you don't have the Luma3DS set up to CTRNAND, you can follow the steps in Section VI here to do so. If it errors out again, tell me.

Phanthelia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Luma was installed to CTRNAND by the GM9MegaScript about 4 years ago until last Friday, it got corrupted last Friday.

The SD Card passed h2testw.

Also, not to be rude, but it sounds like you just looked at the pictures and ignored the whole wall of text explicitly explaining what happened

Also, also, yes, I was trying to restore my NAND backup like I exactly said in the original post

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Luma was installed to CTRNAND by the GM9MegaScript about 4 years ago until last Friday, it got corrupted last Friday.

Also, not to be rude, but it sounds like you just looked at the pictures and ignored the whole wall of text explicitly explaining what happened

Also, also, yes, I was trying to restore my NAND backup like I exactly said in the original post
With two posts you should be a bit more open. but. besides the point. SD troubleshooting is basic before anything else happens. A lot of times it shows to be a card issue. if not. it can be safely ruled out. Its not anyone trying to be rude. Its just basic troubleshooting to make sure its nothing like that and can be looked into further.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There's nothing to get defensive about, it's just standard procedure, i asked you to do the Luma CTRNAND setup just to see if it gives you that error again after you boot it up, if it does then we see where we go from there.

Phanthelia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
With two posts you should be a bit more open. but. besides the point. SD troubleshooting is basic before anything else happens. A lot of times it shows to be a card issue. if not. it can be safely ruled out. Its not anyone trying to be rude. Its just basic troubleshooting to make sure its nothing like that and can be looked into further.
I was referring to their first post where they asked a question that was already explicitly answered in the explanation

"Hi! That error in GodMode9 happened randomly or when you were trying to restore nand image?"

"I just need to either figure out what causes it to allow me to boot Luma and use that to get into GM9 or just get lucky and bs my way into GM9 to restore a backup."

"As I typed this out, I was able to get into GodMode9 2.1.0 but an exception occurred after setting the RTC, Data Abort 4, and now I'm back to square one again"

I had meant to put in that I had done all the other bits and bobs, like h2testw and taking the battery out and holding the button for 30 secs, but forgot, so that's a perfectly fine question.

Asking a question that's already answered, however, not so much.

Phanthelia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
There's nothing to get defensive about, it's just standard procedure, i asked you to do the Luma CTRNAND setup just to see if it gives you that error again after you boot it up, if it does then we see where we go from there.
And if you actually read the post, you would know that I can't do that, the 3DS will not allow me into GM9 to restore my backup, that was the 1 time a few hours ago since last Friday that I was able to access GM9 at all, if I could restore the backup and get Luma back into the CTRNAND, I would not be here now

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And if you actually read the post, you would know that I can't do that, the 3DS will not allow me into GM9 to restore my backup, that was the 1 time a few hours ago since last Friday that I was able to access GM9 at all, if I could restore the backup and get Luma back into the CTRNAND, I would not be here now
Had you been able to try one the earlier gm9 versions and see if the same error shows up when you try to boot godmode9?

Phanthelia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Had you been able to try one the earlier gm9 versions and see if the same error shows up when you try to boot godmode9?
I have tried currently;
GodMode9 1.2.8, 1.3.0, 1.6.3, 1.8.0, 1.8.1, 2.0.0 and 2.1.0

With and without Luma 8.0, 9.1 and 10.2.1 present on the SD, also with GM9 as boot.firm, so far only GM9 2.1.0 and the config screen for Luma 10.2.1 have booted over the last 5 days

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just wondering, maybe havent understood it right. but did you try starting godmode9 with holding start/select while powering on or is there another way? and since luma is not working properly, is something wrong with b9s maybe or is it really just possible that the ctrnand is corrupt? also tried booting luma and godmode without sd card, with sd card or both?

Phanthelia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Just wondering, maybe havent understood it right. but did you try starting godmode9 with holding start/select while powering on or is there another way? and since luma is not working properly, is something wrong with b9s maybe or is it really just possible that the ctrnand is corrupt? also tried booting luma and godmode without sd card, with sd card or both?
It doesn't register Start/Select/Recovery Mode inputs the vast majority of the time, it just powers on and powers off.

AFAIK, the CTRNAND is corrupted or otherwise compromised in a way that renders it unusable by both Luma and the 3DS hardware, but after thinking about what you said about B9S, if I properly understand how B9S works, I don't believe my 3DS actually registers my SD Card without B9S present as the only 2 times I've gotten Luma Config to boot so far, it has said "Booted from SD via B9S" both times. I've been leaving nothing other than a backup, GM9 and Luma on a formatted and tested 32GB SD card, would B9S being present on the SD change anything or this the B9S I installed with Luma booting the new Luma firm off my SD?

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It doesn't register Start/Select/Recovery Mode inputs the vast majority of the time, it just powers on and powers off.

AFAIK, the CTRNAND is corrupted or otherwise compromised in a way that renders it unusable by both Luma and the 3DS hardware, but after thinking about what you said about B9S, if I properly understand how B9S works, I don't believe my 3DS actually registers my SD Card without B9S present as the only 2 times I've gotten Luma Config to boot so far, it has said "Booted from SD via B9S" both times. I've been leaving nothing other than a backup, GM9 and Luma on a formatted and tested 32GB SD card, would B9S being present on the SD change anything or this the B9S I installed with Luma booting the new Luma firm off my SD?
b9s installation is the base of booting any .firm files. AFAIK b9s is installed in a FIRM0 partition (maybe its the firm0.bin in the sysnand virtual section, idk) but its installed on the 3ds to normally boot even without an sd card. maybe the contacts of the sd card are bad or the sd card or even the reader got corrupted in some way, while the ctrnand is corrupted too? i mean, if it's really about the sd card only getting barely recognized, it could happen to crash pokemon (only a guess) and the 3ds always starting from ctrnand from now on which ends up in errors. Thats what i at least think.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Rename godmode to boot.firm, put on root, then do a ctr nand transfer. What have you got to lose at this point?
already tried that as stated below
I have tried currently;
GodMode9 1.2.8, 1.3.0, 1.6.3, 1.8.0, 1.8.1, 2.0.0 and 2.1.0

With and without Luma 8.0, 9.1 and 10.2.1 present on the SD, also with GM9 as boot.firm, so far only GM9 2.1.0 and the config screen for Luma 10.2.1 have booted over the last 5 days
and it seems like its crashing constantly after taking actions, thats the problem

Phanthelia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
It will randomly decide to let something boot seemingly when it feels like it, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, other than it taking an extremely long time between allowing a firmware to boot
Rename godmode to boot.firm, put on root, then do a ctr nand transfer. What have you got to lose at this point?
This did work once with 2.1.0 around 6 or so hours ago, just before I made the post, but then it gave the error attached under the first post "Exception Data Abort (4)" as soon as I set the RTC, this could be because no GM9 files other than the .firm file were on my SD at the time, I'm fairly sure it wasn't the GM9 I've been using all along since the version I was using before the crash had the Fifth Anniversary splash, whereas this one did not

Phanthelia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I'm sorry if i was rude in any way for you, i wasnt meant to be... your idea is actually good. but if im right, it cant even get that far and it was already said that a restore was unsuccessfull...
The problem is that I can't even get that far, that's where I'm trying to get to, I can't even get to the backup for it to fail restoring

It lets me config Luma/set the RTC for GM9 and then crashes

EDIT: I just found a pic from this old thread (https://gbatemp.net/threads/boot9strap-is-corrupted.501474/) that matches the original error message I got after hard resetting when Pokemon froze the 3DS, this means B9S is also corrupted then?

Attachments

• 2AlELkw.png
    2AlELkw.png
    874 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by Phanthelia,

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So what i am assuming is: if CTRNand is corrupted, it wont properly boot anything. since the sd card might not be the issue on its own, it could be the 3ds not properly reading the sd card, maybe clean the sd port carefully? if im getting it right, the pc can recognize the sd card without problems, but maybe the 3ds cant recognize it properly anymore so try another sd card if possible (more unlikely)? If it turns out that the sd card is getting recognized by the 3ds properly, its more complicated.
It will randomly decide to let something boot seemingly when it feels like it, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, other than it taking an extremely long time between allowing a firmware to boot

This did work once with 2.1.0 around 6 or so hours ago, just before I made the post, but then it gave the error attached under the first post "Exception Data Abort (4)" as soon as I set the RTC, this could be because no GM9 files other than the .firm file were on my SD at the time, I'm fairly sure it wasn't the GM9 I've been using all along since the version I was using before the crash had the Fifth Anniversary splash, whereas this one did not
the splash being different might be 2 different versions. godmode is "installed" twice on my n2ds. first one is in the ctrnand under the folder "rw/luma/payloads". the second one in the luma/payloads folder on the sd card. so the 5th anniversary splash could've been from one of these 2, or you updated the one on your sd card.

since b9s is in the sysnand virtual and not ctrnand, it hopefully is not the problem here. so b9s still tries to boot any .firm in the ctrnand or sd card. it seems like luma and godmode only worked on the sd card yet.

afterall its only a hard guess...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs