Hacking MVSPSP v2.3.1 and ROMs not working!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
does anyone have Jockey Grand Prix (jockeygp.zip) working on the neogeo emu? i have the correct files, they don't fail the CRC check, and i built the cache file. i also have a complete set of bios files. when i run this game it gets past the checks, then the bios starts to load, the screen goes black and about 20 seconds later the PSP shuts off. i've tried a few different bios files, including the universe 2.2 file (as that is the last officially supported version).

everything else is working as it should (well i'm not done fully sorting but every other rom i've tested up to "J" is working on this emu without fail).

so, anyone got it working? i'd like to compare CRC values of the working files.

-another world

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you using the correct ROM set? Many issues stem from not using the correct MAME set rather than straight NEO GEO ROM's. Jockey Grand Prix does appear to be on the compatible game list.

Also that sounds like a RAM issue causing the shutdown...you're using the PSP 1000? Perhaps first disable all your plugins too.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
hi xist,
i'm using a psp 3000. i have not been able to find a source for the supported roms, which are from mame 0.120. that mame set is from 2007-ish and i can't find anyone hosting such old files. i've instead grabbed random roms until i found one with all of the correct files. the files in the zip are checked by the emu for their crc value, and the files in my zip are passing. i'm assuming then that the files are correct but i can't be 100% sure.

with that said, i've tried both mame roms and a neogeo set. i was only able to find 1 zip that had the jgp-m1_decrypted.bin file. it seems it was removed from later mame sets. so again, i'm assuming the .zip i have is correct.

i am running a few plug-ins. they were given to me by someone who sent me a pre-configured set-up. i'm not 100% sure how to disable them. the whole CFW is something of a mystery to me right now, i'm poking in the dark trying to catch up with 4+ years of missed PSP developments.

the plug-ins i have are:
category_lite
joysens
mp3play_lite

could any of those be causing an issue?

edit: kf2k3pcb is passing the crc check, i made a cache file from the zip, but it is loading to a black screen. the neogeo bios splash screen never loads. in this case the emu is not shutting down the psp, i can press the home button and go back to the rom selection list, etc.

-another world

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
There's always the potential that a plugin may cause issues with an emulator....none of those you're running are particularly bad offenders in causing issues, and i doubt that they are, but it's a (tiny) possibility. Don't worry about disabling them for now.

I had a look through my Neo Geo collection but unfortunately i don't have this particular game so i can't test it for myself at the moment. Have you tried any other earlier revisions of MVSPSP to test the ROM and see if the results are the same? How about testing the game on a PC Neo Geo emulator to see if it's good? It's something that's difficult to diagnose given the relative obscurity of the game and the age of the emulator itself. In the meantime i'll see if i can track down a functioning version of the game to determine if the experiences you're having are universal.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i found out with the king of the fighters 2003 pcb that it was later fixed an unofficial build of the emu, although i've yet to try it. i'll double check the rom and try older versions of the emu next.

edit::
Neo-Geo Cup '98 - The Road to the Victory is doing something similar. it starts up, i am able to pick various game options, but then when the game is about to start the emu goes black and the psp shuts off.

edit::
ssideki3, Super Sidekicks 3 - The Next Glory has the same problems, it shuts off the PSP.

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
has anyone got the public domain homebrew files and prototypes working?

diggerma Digger Man (prototype)
columnsn Columns (PD)
poknight Poker Night (PD)
neonopon Neo No Panepon (beta / PD)
neopong Neo Pong (v1.1 / PD)
frogfest Frog Feast (PD)
ltorb1 Jonas Indiana and the Lost Temple of RA (20050717 / PD)
cnbe Codename - Blut Engel (2006-01-19 / PD)
beast Shadow of the Beast (demo / PD)
neodemo Neo-Demo (PD)
ngem2k NGEM2K (beta 2006-01-18 / PD)
neo2500 Neo 2500 Demo (PD)
syscheck Neo System Check (ver 1.0b / PD)

i dropped the .zips into the directory but they don't show up in the emu list.

-another world

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm sure it's a romset issue, you need to rebuild 0.120 roms using a datfile and a tool like romcenter or mameclr Pro :unsure: There are some tutorials around for emus like MAME4ALL which also require particular romsets. Just follow that procedure, only using the 0.120 datfiles when doing it. You can extract them from mame itself, if you can't find them (just download mame 0.120 and point romcenter to it).

About the PSP shutting off, it might be because it's loading something uncorrectly, and it crashes because of that. Again, it's worth a shot to rebuild the games first.

About the PD stuff, the emu has an internal support list (IIRC) and it only sports commercial games.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
for the supported PD and prototypes, even if the files in the zip were incorrect the zip itself should show up in the list, and that is not happening.

raulpica, do you happen to have a mame 0.120 dat or know where i can find one? i'd also love a clr mame pro tutorial, that app has never made sense to me. i'd like to check the roms i have against a dat to see if anything is incorrect. i'd also like to be able to build the working files, but i only have a very recent mame set and i don't think that will work.

-another world

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I prefer romcenter over clrmame pro, I couldn't make head or tails of that app (actually I did once or twice, but I happen to always forget how to use the darn thing) :P

Anyway, I found this for clrmame pro: http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/59207-gngeo-0-8-2/page__st__15__p__946388&#entry946388

And THIS for romcenter: http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/53756-mame-106/page__st__45__p__892770&#entry892770

Second link also has another link in it with all the old DATs, so you're set ;)

You can rebuild them from the newer set usually, at least I remember doing that.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
i just seen this while browsing at wololo. Its mods of cps1, cps2, mvspsp, and ncdzpsp.
http://code.google.com/p/procfw-mod/downloads/list?q=label:3rd_Party_Update
hard to tell from the russian, and i havent tried yet, but maybe the compatibility is different/better with these versions

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
this is what google is telling me...

change log said:
1) European layout of the keys (X - a choice, O - cancel)
2) Ability to remove the ROM directly into the emulator (in circle)
3) Removed zalochke on the PSP-2000 in the 64 MB version
4) To put on top of 2.3.1 update

that seems to be the change log for the cps emus as well. odd...

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
after using the mame 0.120 dat to check my set i found no mistakes with the roms i am using.

here are the problems i've found with the emu, so far...

• jockeygp Jockey Grand Prix (loads to a black screen, shuts off psp)
  • neocup98 Neo-Geo Cup '98 - The Road to the Victory (starts, then shuts off psp)
  • ridhero Riding Hero (set 1) (road graphics do not display)
  • ridheroh Riding Hero (set 2) (road graphics do not display)
  • samsho5 Samurai Shodown V (set 1) (does not work, requires the unofficial mod)
  • amsho5h Samurai Shodown V (set 2) (does not work, requires the unofficial mod)
  • ssideki2 Super Sidekicks 2 - The World Championship (field line graphics do not appear)
  • ssideki3 Super Sidekicks 3 - The Next Glory (shuts off the PSP)
  • ssideki4 Ultimate 11 - The SNK Football Championship (field graphic is missing entirely)
  • wh1ha World Heroes (set 3) (fails to load parent, additional files required in zip)
  • wh2jh World Heroes 2 Jet (Set 2) (fails to parent, additional files required in zip)

2 games were incorrectly named in the list. one of them was lastblda.zip, the file should actually be named lastbldh.zip. the other was rbff2a.zip, the file should be named rbff2h.zip. some of the games require cache files for the psp3000. i used the official conversion tools and did this only when required. the end result is 2.44 GB of cache files. Super Sidekicks 2 - The World Championship and Ultimate 11 - The SNK Football Championship appear to work just fine if you force the emu into using the universe bios.

up to this point i have collected (and verified) the PD and prototype games that are in the gameslist text file. none of them show up in the list, so all of them are unplayable.

here is the list:
  • diggerma Digger Man (prototype)
  • columnsn Columns (PD)
  • poknight Poker Night (PD)
  • neonopon Neo No Panepon (beta / PD)
  • neopong Neo Pong (v1.1 / PD)
  • frogfest Frog Feast (PD)
  • ltorb1 Jonas Indiana and the Lost Temple of RA (20050717 / PD)
  • cnbe Codename - Blut Engel (2006-01-19 / PD)
  • beast Shadow of the Beast (demo / PD)
  • neodemo Neo-Demo (PD)
  • ngem2k NGEM2K (beta 2006-01-18 / PD)
  • neo2500 Neo 2500 Demo (PD)
  • syscheck Neo System Check (ver 1.0b / PD)

next up i'll check the "bootleg" list as i've acquired all of those files. stay tuned =)

-another world

Reactions: 1 person

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
none of the bootleg roms in the gamelist work. they simply do not appear in the rom listing. oh welp! i wish i had been into this hobby much earlier, perhaps my testing would have made more of a difference.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That sounds really cool
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shame it wasn't Facebook that paused them
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Fucking lame. Thread viewed 1000 times and only one reply that doesnt even answer what I asked.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.
    I mean. All I ask was for people to see if ONE, SINGLE website is working properly in edge. 1000 people see it but cant be bothered at all
    Ready to just leave this place anyway. The amount of shit talking and bullying behavior that goes unchecked is crazy. No where else do I see this shit towards me and others. Not even on reddit have I been talked to like I have here by other members
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I did read the last sentence in your post by the way. Maybe try changing the privacy settings in your browser to standard if that works.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I've also heard that Chromium-based browsers will stop working with ad-blockers.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Please dont go we need you.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Please dont go we need you.