granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mutant_mudds_heading.jpg
Some of you may or may not remember a different sort of Renegade Kid game that was being teased years ago for release on the Nintendo DS. Then titled- "Maximillian and the Rise of the Mutant Mudds". The game was at first a 3D platformer involving a kid with a water pack on his back. He would spread water around to solve puzzles and beat enemies. It was similar to Mario Sunshine. After a rocky development history, the game was rumored to be heading to DSiWare, but then apparently canned by Renegade Kid. Now though, the game has been redesigned for the 3DS eShop and will now be a 2D platformer reminiscent of a Super Nintendo game (though with gimmicks to appeal to the 3D effect. Along with this announcement comes a new title and new information about the gameplay. We also have plenty of scans from Nintendo Power, please check the source at the bottom for these scans. [/p]
- Mutant Mudds is the new title
- 2D side-scrolling platformer
- published by Renegade Kid (first time they've published a game, and their own)
- new project was born out of experimentation
- when 3DS was revealed, Renegade Kid rebooted their DSiWare title into the current result
- plot remains identical
- Max has a water powered cannon and jetpack which he uses to defeat enemies which rise from the earth
- travel between foreground and background (the 3D effect should enhance this)
- environments include- “a dark winter land, a fiery temple, a space cosmos, and a fluffy cloudville.”
- collect Water Sprites to defeat the Mudds
- collect water sprites to open new levels
- secrets and power-ups
- good for pick-up-and-play sessions
- DLC through SpotPass
- late 2011 release on the 3DS eShop [/p]
icon11.gif
Source #1
icon11.gif
Source #2

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to double post and i'm sorry for it, but i wanted to mention in a fresh post about the old version of this game so you wouldn't get confused and think the game still looks like this. As a poster and follower of Unseen64.net, i enjoy reading about old beta and canceled games, so it's neat to follow the history of this one in particular. To show you what it looked like, just keep in mind that the game is now a 2D platformer with completely different gameplay, this is a very old video from when the game was a tech demo in development for the Nintendo DS-
[youtube]lfDpye2-TLw[/youtube]

I have to say, HUGE difference. I kind of like the new look. Reminds me of a SNES game. Not taking advantage of 3DS hardware, but somehow much more appealing to the eyes. The foreground/background transition reminds me of Wario Land VB as well (maybe Nintendo could remake that game in color for the 3DS eShop btw, i'd pay for that).

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
I guess it look kinda good. Some reason I think Epic Mickey with the water gun.
laugh.gif
More like Mario Sunshine in my opinion. Epic Mickey was paint, though clearly inspired by Sunshine. Funnily, Mutant Mudds was before Epic Mickey. From like 2009 i think. It just took it a while to surface again.

MigueelDnd

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why, although I know the new versions looks better and will probably play better than the DS one, I like the DS one more. The 3DS one doesn't appeal to me very much...

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow the old version looked like a nice super mario sunshine port to the ds, but i like snes graphics better so hmmm, if its fun ill buy it. 2D mario sunshine sounds awesome.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's kinda weird that they made such a 180° turn with 3D to 2D. But it's good they did.

The 2D sprites have much more visual appeal to me than the 3D in that video. That 3D world looks rather bland and boring. The new 2D pixel art is much more crisp.

Also it will control much better in 2D because there are none of those constant camera problems that a lot of 3D platformers have.

Will get this when it comes out.. Renegade Kid deserves a success with their first self-published game.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Oh great, at first I thought oh shit noooo, but thinking for a minute, I came to the conclusion that they did the right thing, the 3D platformer which it was before was kinda dull and empty looking, like a rush-job game. Atleast the 2D version will stand out. Can't wait
yay.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 2D version looks and sounds pretty awesome. If I had a 3DS, I wouldn't mind paying for a game like this.

D

Deleted User

The screens in the source look pretty good, and a lot better than the 3D version (although that didn't look too bad; just repetitive).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: So true