Must have plug in's on the DStwo

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by nesdude0011, Jan 29, 2011.

Jan 29, 2011
  1. nesdude0011
    OP

Newcomer nesdude0011 Member

United States
    I received my DStwo in the mail yesterday, and added the GBA emulator and the SNES emulator from the supercard site. I'm wondering what other must have emulators (or anything else for that matter) I should add to my dstwo? If it matters, I'm using a DSiXL 1.4.1U firmware.

What is the best NES emulator for the DStwo?

Thanks

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    There are stickied threads and regular threads all around the board...and btw, there are only two DS NES emulators nesDS and nesterds...nesDS is better.

3. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    you might want to stay away from the nes emulator if you're using a dsi xl

4. nesdude0011
    OP

United States
    I am using a DSiXL. Why is this exactly?

5. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
  6. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Only nesDS.

That is because nesDS uses a different screen refresh rate and it may damage the screen on an XL.

7. hullo8d

Member hullo8d GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's not permanent, and it rarely happens. You should be fine using NesDS, but if you screen ever does get image burn you can use spinal_cord's de-ghoster.

8. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Thanks for clearing that up. I hate having to switch to my Acekard each time I want to play NESDS.

9. hullo8d

Member hullo8d GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I found the link for the de-ghoster; it's actually called ghostbuster, but it got my point across.

http://filetrip.net/f23152-GhostBuster-1-0.html

Also, filetrip got it's security issue fixed so there's no need to be paranoid when clicking the link.

10. nesdude0011
    OP

United States
    I played a little more SNES and GBA on my DStwo last night, and I have to say that I'm not all that impressed. I loaded up Super Mario World on my DStwo (in DSiXL) and ran the same game on SNEmulDS in my R4 in my DS Lite. It looked like it ran a little smoother in my DS Lite, and the text is slightly messed up on my DStwo as well. This was more obvious when I loaded up Zelda:LTTP, as there is a lot more text. It almost looked like the very bottom of the words were removed.
    Is all of this normal? DS roms run fine, but I expected the other emulators to run a little smoother overall.

Back to the NESDS debate. If the NESDS *could* possibly damage my system (which I don't want happening, since it is out of warranty), is there another NES emulator that I could use?

Also, is there a way to get back to the DS Menu once I am playing a DS rom? It's easy to get back to the menu when playing GBA or SNES, but I couldn't figure it out when playing DS roms. Thanks

11. riverchen

Member riverchen GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You could possibly try a NES emu for gba and launch it through NDSGBA. But i've been using NESDS for a while and it hasen't done anything to my screen.

12. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Press R+L+Start at the same time (R+L+Select should work as well, but it's an alternate for games that don't like the menu and doesn't support realtime saves). Once you get into the menu, anyway, you'll see a button in the upper left of the touch screen. Pressing it will give you the option of exiting back into the card's software (to load another game, or whatever).

13. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Well, the one I am most looking forward to is DS2x86. While DSx86 works fine as a plugin, it is limited to 10MHz 286 speeds due to the DS's CPU while DS2x86 will be able to run protected mode games like DOOM at 386/40MHz speeds. Unfortunately, DS2x86 just got it's first alpha release so it will be a while before it is worth using over DSx86.

http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/DSblog.html

14. nesdude0011
    OP

United States
    Thanks a lot for the reply! I changed the scaling to setting 2 and it looks much better. I'm not sure if I'm using BAGSFC or not, but I actually had settings that were numbered 0-3.
    Your other suggestion worked like a charm as well!

15. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Wait, what? You switch to your Acekard to play NESDS on your DSi XL?
    The problem isn't exclusive to the DStwo...you could've had the same problem while using the Acekard.

Nevertheless, just use spinal_cord's de-ghoster if you have the problem.

@nesdude0011: BAGSFC is an unofficial version of NDSSFC made by BassAceGold. If you got the SNES emulator from the Supercard website, you don't have it. You might as well get it, since it's better than the current version of the official emulator (it adds a 4th scaling option, it adds a 5th CPU frequency option, and there's a few tweaks here and there to make the emulator more stable and stuff).

16. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The only plug ins I have are NDS_GAME, NesDS, lameboy, Jenesis, the gba one, and the SNES one.

I have them all named properly and with matching icons (I even changed DS_GAME to NDS)

17. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Just to add on to my point about ghosting, I have just encountered the problem (first time, and I have a launch DSi XL), and I was using the DSi browser (accidentally left it on for a few hours, so I have a GBAtemp thread burned in there). I'm running the anti-ghosting software right now.