Must have Homebrew for Wii 2018

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Flaya, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Flaya
    OP

Flaya Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    So what's the must have Homebrew for the Wii in 2018?

I decided to try and make this an updated list of all known WiiBrew.

The idea for this list was spawned by @FancyNintendoGamer567's post here https://gbatemp.net/posts/8275869/, where he suggested that I add links to my OP.
    Thank you very much! :)

I'll try my best to keep the list updated, give credit where credit's due, but feel free to point out if something has slipped my mind. ;)

And most importantly; please contribute to the list. All and any Homebrew for the Wii is welcome, even if it's already on the list. Do you have a secondary download link? Great, just post it and I'll add it to the list. Just don't forget to post the links.

Last but not least, here's the list:

Note: Any comments within Code brackets are the comments of the contributor. I simply Copy/Pasted them as reference. ;)

WiiBrew List

Last edited by Flaya, Sep 23, 2018 at 12:22 PM
  2. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    Last version of USB Loader GX is R1268 if I'm not wrong, unless you have a specific reason to keep that version, I think the most recommended option would be to use the most up-to-date release. Last version of Priiloader I think it is 8.1.

Besides emulation, which would be a lengthy matter on its own, I would recommend GCMM to take care of your GameCube Memory Cards, Save Manager GX to backup your Wii saves, Nintendont to be able to load your GC backups and also easily play games from other regions, CleanRip to make copies of your Wii & GC discs, and maybe WiiMC for music and video stuff (although I've not used it in a loooong time).

MushGuy and Flaya like this.
  3. Flaya
    OP

Flaya Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    Thx for the tips.

I didn't find a newer version than r1076 when I skimmed the web. Will do a more thorough search.

4. Brawl345

Brawl345 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2012
    Germany
    MaeseJesus and Flaya like this.
  5. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    Wanted to ask about Riiconect24: Is it safe? I remember people having hardware issues with WiiConect24 back in the day, and I've always had my system with that turned off once I learnt about it. But I may have outdated or wrong memories about it.

Settings Editor GUI seems to be really cool and useful! Not too long ago I made my Wii to boot on HBC, but to change settings I had to go to the System Menu, and this seems to be a great shortcut to make quick changes! I suppose it's safe to use too, right? Kinda afraid of changing things from the Wii.

Another useful utility can be SysCheck. I don't know if the normal version, or the SysCheck HacksDen version here should be preferred, but it's nice to have anyway.

Flaya likes this.
  6. Brawl345

Brawl345 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2012
    Germany
    Yeah, of course. Don't remember anything about hardware issues, I used WiiConnect24 pretty regularly back then and had no problems (and also use RC24 irregularly now).

Yes, it's tested and JoostinOnline is a great dev! But it's always good to make a NAND backup via BootMii and if you have PriiLoader installed you are perfectly safe (plus BootMii in boot2, but that's only for early Wiis).

This version is the newest one, so use this.

MaeseJesus likes this.
  7. ry755

ry755 idk what to write here

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    I remember reading that older Wiis could overheat if that was turned on, since the CPU (either the Broadway or the Starlet, idk) would stay powered without the fan running. But later Wiis have fixed that, so you shoud be fine as long as it's not a launch day console or something.

MaeseJesus likes this.
  8. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    Thank you for your responses! I make Nand Backups from time to time just in case, and I have Priiloader 8.1 and Bootmi as IOS, as my Wii is from 2010 and the Boot2 was fixed much earlier.

Okay, that explains a lot! Mine being from 2010 shouldn't worry about it then. Thank you for telling me that!

Oh, and by the way, the most recent version of WiiMC may be a fork made by superrsonic named WiiMC-SS, link here.

ry755 likes this.
  9. Brawl345

Brawl345 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2012
    Germany
    It's the Starlet, the main CPU (the Broadway) is turned off when Standby connection is used. It uses extremely limited power and this should not overheat at all. If it happes, it's a defective console.

MaeseJesus likes this.
  10. ry755

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    I found this thread and I guess the overheating was nothing but rumors and coincidences where the heatsink wasn't seated properly, and it would have overheated eventually anyways.
    https://www.gamespot.com/forums/nin...eating-wiiswiiconnect24-56k-warning-25851734/

IIRC my Wii would get a bit warm when I had Standby Connection turned on back in the day. It wasn't overheating though, just warm.

Last edited by ry755, Sep 12, 2018 - Reason: more info
    MaeseJesus and Brawl345 like this.
  11. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    Huh, interesting post by that jaysonguy user. If it's the real deal, it certainly makes my question earlier unnecessary. Sorry, but at least I got to solve my doubts about it!

My console never got really hot, not even all that warm back when I had WC24 on, I just turned it off because of all that info around the net (and my own paranoia with my bad luck with xbox 360, lol). Although I suppose you'd be better off turning WC24 off if you're not going to use your system in a long time, like Nintendo's Customer Service recommended.

Thank you for taking your time researching!

12. ry755

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    No problem, I'm glad I could help :)

At this point, I don't think there's much reason to keep Standby Connection on though, even with RiiConnect24 installed

13. Leo Alves

Leo Alves GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    instead of Yawmm, use "Some-Yawmm-Mod"
    https://github.com/FIX94/Some-YAWMM-Mod

Latest Priiloader is 0.8.2
    https://wii.guide/priiloader

There is a unofficial version of WiiXplorer, called WiiXplorer-SS, (same creator from the unofficial WiiMC-SS)
    I could only find it here: https://mundowiihack.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/wii-wiixplorer-v259/
    To download, just click in "Baixar Servidor 1", or 2.

Apps I recommend:
    InspectMii - Shows some other information from your Wii, intended as a companion to SysCheck HD.
    Yet Another BlueDump MOD - Make it possible to dump any title in your Wii, like channels, wii ware, vc games or IOS, to a Wad file.
    Visual Controller Test - Interesting app that lets you test your controllers
    PlayStats - Analyse the play history of your Wii (How many times you launched a game, the first and last time you started it, total time played, etc)
    SaveGame Manager GX Beta - The Beta version (76) is more stable than the regular versions (127), at least for me, you can now manage saves from your Wii Nand, emunand and GC memory card. Make backups, restore, and other stuff. Can also backup and restore Miis.

Last edited by Leo Alves, Sep 12, 2018
  14. FancyNintendoGamer567

FancyNintendoGamer567 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    @Flaya Replace WiiFlow with WiiFlow Lite. Also I would recommend you add download links for the things you listed.

WesMods and Flaya like this.
  15. Flaya
    OP

Flaya Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    Ok, is WF Lite better?

As for adding links, I'll get on it this weekend. I'm mobile during the week, so.

And FYI, this thread was originally intended to get help finding the latest versions of Homebrew for the Wii.

Didn't really expect it to get so many replies.
    Adding links to the OP is actually a splendid idea, as it would be useful for others reading it. I'll be editing the OP with the proper info and links and give credit to whoever provided the information. :)

Perhaps we'll see it grow into a updated list of wiibrew... ;)

16. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    Wiiflow Lite seems to have many, many changes and additions, for the looks of it.
    Personally I've never felt the need of using it. HBC is more than enough for me to quickly get into what I want.

If all these homebrew apps are going to be added to the first post with links, listing the good emulators would be a must-do thing too.

Flaya likes this.
  17. Flaya
    OP

Flaya Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    I personally prefer forwarders.

It seems to be quite advanced, perhaps a bit too much for me (only using the Wii for Wii and GC games), but still a strong contestant.

My goal is to list as many as possible, hopefully sorted, categorized and easily navigated. Of course emulators needs to be listed, otherwise it wouldn't truly be a complete list. ;)

18. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    Let's see, about emulation homebrew...

On one part, you have the "GX" group of emulators.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Outside that, you also have other standalone emulators than can be great to have, too.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

EDIT: I'll keep adding stuff to this post in subsequent edits. It's too much to write in one sitting without interruptions, lol.

Last edited by MaeseJesus, Sep 13, 2018
    Brawl345, WesMods and Flaya like this.
  19. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Not sure why anyone would want to run USBLoader GX, when CFG Loader is much more feature-rich and sexy. And it also doesn't try to clone the awful vanilla HomeMenu with a copy-cat impostor either.

vbarros22 likes this.
  20. Flaya
    OP

Flaya Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    Just make a post when edited. :)

Well I guess everyone has their own taste. Anyway, the list won't be complete without it.