Hardware Musou Wii 1080p Upscaler only outputting in 576i?

Foxes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a Musou Wii Upscaler https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musou-Converter-Output-Upscaling-Adapter/dp/B01CJIWFTO/ for my Wii because I need the video to be converted to 1080p before it reaches my Elgato HD so I can record in 1080p, but I hooked it up and connected a HDMI cable from it into the Elgato and when I load Game Capture HD it shows 576i50 instead of 1080p50 like it should. To make sure this wasn't a problem with the Elgato or Game Capture HD I connected it straight to my monitor and it was exactly the same. Does anyone know how to get it to upscale to 1080p?

amjadna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
hi friend
I have one the the same you have
if you use it or not will be the same>>>> the wii system ( consoles ) supporting only 576i50 so that you will not see the games full HD because the system not supporting this

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Just FYI, there's no reason to upscale before the Elgato. It just uses far more CPU to process the output. Your computer can scale from 480p just fine.
(Also, the regular Elgato HD won't capture 1080p60, so I'm guessing 1080p50 is a no go as well.)

Last edited by Fishaman P,

Vishnoo

Failure is success if we learn from it.
Trophies
XP
Country
India
There is no use of the Wii upscaler.The default(480p) is safe and best.
Only my suggestion:
I have heard that It may also cause overheating and damage of system components.
I think its the same as overclocking a cpu or gpu to the highest level.

Last edited by Vishnoo,

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just fuck all users who don't have component inputs?
Many capture cards and TVs support 480p over HDMI inputs. So no, not really.

I recently bought a Musou Wii Upscaler https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musou-Converter-Output-Upscaling-Adapter/dp/B01CJIWFTO/ for my Wii because I need the video to be converted to 1080p before it reaches my Elgato HD so I can record in 1080p, but I hooked it up and connected a HDMI cable from it into the Elgato and when I load Game Capture HD it shows 576i50 instead of 1080p50 like it should. To make sure this wasn't a problem with the Elgato or Game Capture HD I connected it straight to my monitor and it was exactly the same. Does anyone know how to get it to upscale to 1080p?
Many of these "upscalers" actually just take the Wii's output signal and convert it to a digital HDMI signal, and send it to the TV as is. They don't actually upscale, on rare occasions there's a pinhole on the front to change the mode of the thing, sometimes they actually upscale to 720p, most of the time it's just a converter.

Basically, just capture it in whatever video format you're getting, and then fix/stretch in editing.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Many capture cards and TVs support 480p over HDMI inputs. So no, not really.

Sure, and many TVs do an absolutely terrible job of upscaling that to the native resolution of the panel - these little dongles do an acceptable job pretty uniformly across all models.

I wouldn't bag on either version really - they are an incredibly cheap source of component -> hdmi converters (5~usd on aliexpress).

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, and many TVs do an absolutely terrible job of upscaling that to the native resolution of the panel - these little dongles do an acceptable job pretty uniformly across all models.
I wouldn't bag on either version really - they are an incredibly cheap source of component -> hdmi converters (5~usd on aliexpress).
Pretty much, I got one myself recently, 2 actually, the first one I thought was defective so I had them send me another, but I tried it again after I got the new one and seems both of them work now somehow. Happy accident, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Pretty much, I got one myself recently, 2 actually, the first one I thought was defective so I had them send me another, but I tried it again after I got the new one and seems both of them work now somehow. Happy accident, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Heh, noice.

I've nabbed a few just to try them out on a few other consoles.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There is no use of the Wii upscaler.The default(480p) is safe and best.
Only my suggestion:
I have heard that It may also cause overheating and damage of system components.
I think its the same as overclocking a cpu or gpu to the highest level.
Oh gawd wat

It can't overheat or damage the system since the upscaling is done by the upscaler, nothing strange happens on the Wii as it'll still output 480p.
The 480p that gets output by the Wii is THEN upscaled by the upscaler.

Please don't start spreading rumors like that around - the last thing we need is that stuff like that starts being repeated by other users as truth.

Reactions: CheatFreak47

Foxes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I was looking to improve the quality of my videos by recording in 1080p instead of stretching to 1080p during editing, but it looks like I'll still be stretching. And just to clarify, I have an Elgato HD60 Pro, not just an Elgato. On the plus side it looks better than my component to HDMI adapter (yes, I need HDMI, it's the only input the HD60 has).

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you REALLY want the best HDMI video out of the Wii, there is an FPGA solution that requires soldering. It converts digital video from the GPU to HDMI, skipping analog altogether. Doesn't upscale though.

Reactions: Vishnoo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?