Muslims defend Coptic Christians in Egypt.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by TrolleyDave, Jan 9, 2011.

Jan 9, 2011
  1. TrolleyDave
    OP

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/3365.aspx

We hear alot of negative stories about Muslims and rarely does anything like this make it to our news so I thought I'd post it. [​IMG]

2. gov78

Member gov78 Ha made you Look

United Kingdom
    nice post man it nice to see a more postive view about islam i know the media try and demonize the religion instead of the extremists nice to see theres a chance for change.

3. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    This is how people should live in a country. TAKE THAT UNCLE GEERT!!

4. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    So there's hope after all...

5. tajio

Member tajio GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I wish it was like that around world (the helping other religions thing) . Bloody media always manipulating peoples mind with bullsh*t.

6. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    i guess the islamic laws are very delicate in such a way that if not explained by the correct guides or principles, ppl will misinterpret and take matters into their own hands and cause violence
    on the other hand, careful understanding of any religion will lead to good followers no matter what the pressure

7. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    It is absolutely wonderful to see the moderate Muslims actually do the right thing for once instead of staying quiet and blaming everyone but the extremists for the bad name they have given the faith.

EDIT: And please everyone remember the majority of Turks stood up against sectarian laws. It's so easy to remember human rights problems and not the good things.

Sorry but I call BS. This is people standing up for what is right despite of religion, because of shared human values independent of faith, not because of a better understanding of stone age propaganda.

8. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    I'm calling BS on this. The Muslims were partially motivated by their shared beliefs with the Christians. The two faiths share a lot of stories and characters in common. Not to mention a similar code of basic morality.

Here's something atheists never understand. Even if the stories in the Quaran, Torah, Bible are all fake, they still hold moral value. (Especially parables because they require conscious thought and decision making on the part of the listener. Aka: excercizing your free will.)

Moral parables hold value in any age, just like the wisdom of the great philosophers. People need things like this to help them make sense of the world. And there will never be a world without religion.

But hopefully there will be a world without religious intolerance and strife.

In b4 I get called a "moral f@g*"

(*seriously we live in an age where young people see morality as a liability. Atheism sure isn't helping that problem.)

9. cwstjdenobs

United Kingdom
    Sorry I don't want a world without religion. I don't think there are no moral or ethical teachings in religious texts. I've read a lot of them and think it was truly worthwhile. I truly understand the difference between myth and fiction. But the shared beliefs that these Muslims share with these Christians, are these not shared by all sane people of all faiths and none? Faith has no monopoly on ethics and morality.

And really, are you going to say there is not plenty in there that is just plain wrong morally and ethically?

And sorry but you could have taken that in context with the rest of my post. But I should have probably made myself clearer.

EDIT: And who said I'm an atheist?

EDIT the second: And to plagiarise Hitchens, what caused the problem to begin with?

10. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    I read the Qur'an a while back because I was curious and didn't see something that was morally wrong with it.

11. cwstjdenobs

United Kingdom
    Neither the Koran, Bible, nor Torah at any point say slavery is right, or that it's right to kill the non believer and take there women and children and spoils of war? That women are worth less than men? That it's alright (no needed) to kill someone over there sexual preferences, something that affects you in no way? That good people who cannot feel the love of god, by gods own design and will, will suffer for eternity no matter the course their lives take but the believers will be spared if they but ask for forgiveness?

12. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    [​IMG] This is great news. Its great to see that Muslims are not always going to be shed in a negative light.

It makes me proud to be one. [​IMG]

13. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Whats Coptic Christians?

14. cwstjdenobs

United Kingdom
    One of the oldest surviving churches. Older than Catholicism. Basically Egyptian Christians.

15. ganons

Member ganons GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    So what did you think of it overall?

16. cwstjdenobs

United Kingdom
    @ganons, if the questions open, I will honestly say I can't really tell. Is there any clues in the Koran itself what order it should be read in for abrogation's sake? A lot of it really does depend on that.

17. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    Personally, this isn't new to me, because I live in Singapore. Our government practically forces racial and religious harmony onto us. Not to say that isn't good.

But still its nice to see something like this.

Although I may be atheist, my only problem is with organised religion and religious lobbyists, I don't believe anyone should be targeted for their religion if they practice it peacefully. Muslims are still people and are very friendly people too, but from the news I somehow feel the west has a rather bad misunderstanding of them. I believe the west should accept them more, and not alienate them because of a few extremists. And the same can be said for the other countries who alienate the other religions, especially countries with religious majorities.

Racial and religious harmony can be possible, Singapore is a prime example. It's really a problem of the politicians that is making this impossible in other parts of the world.

18. TLSS_N

Member TLSS_N Who is John Galt?

United States
    I am so glad that there starting to stand up to these monsters! The Muslim community as a whole needs to follow the example that has been set, and not cower to the extremists!

19. cwstjdenobs

United Kingdom
    I'm sorry but the west (at least where Europe is concerned) has been very accepting. But unfortunately the majority of Muslims have allowed the extremists to take there voice and claim to speak for them, and want acceptance one way, with their rights to discriminate left intact. I know a lot of Muslims who agree with this too, but they have never taken a public, non apologist stance before. I am really glad that this might be the start of hearing the peoples voices, the majority, instead of the animals who usurp this. Lets hope the other 2 Abrahamic religions take note.

20. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Exactly, Muslims are normal people, it's just that media only captures the crazy ones. You would never see Uncle Ahmed in Iraq is JUST baking a cookie, if that news was on the CNN they would follow it up 5 minutes later with "A cookie bomb just exploded!"