Multiplayer games that helps create/save friendships instead of ruin them.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i'm sure you once talked about it, or seen a video about someone talking about it, video games that ruin friendshis, games like street fighter, mortal kombat using cheap lame play game tactics like projectile spamming, contra stealing other player's lives, mario party where there so much random stuff going on is probably just unfair and everyone's favorite number one pick... GOLDENEYE.... on nintendo 64... Need i say more?:rolleyes:

But what about games you play either cause you have no friends and try to make some find others, or cause is something you and friend really like and play together a lot actually helping your friendship stay strong instead of breaking? So just share some games you think will actually help someone make friends or keep the relationship strong. If you want to go the extra bonus route, i guess you can even suggest games for couples like BF/GF or married people.:creep:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One of my favourite things in game design right now does concern multiplayer and how the game creates the community, or why the older/purer dota/moba games are so terrible in their community.

The main idea is that whatever cretin ends up on your team then even if they are only good for being a distraction for two seconds or a bullet sponge for a similar amount of time then as long as that does not cost you then people will want them.

Problem though is you mentioned being a pickup hoover as an annoyance and while I can direct you towards things mentioned in the previous line then I have a harder time with this. Maybe go 16 bit Sonic and play with Tails. There is about one thing Tails can do to mess things up for the Sonic player (catch them in mid air).

Generally I would look to co-op games if you or your mates are too thin skinned or lack a sense of humour.

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Portal 2. 'nuff said :D
NO THE CUBE GOES THERE!
THERE YOU ABSOLUTE ASSTARD!

yes.. helps friendships
100% Orange Juice is good i guess
L4D2 and Rocket League
Project Zomboid
Duck Game
Stardew Valley (When the multiplayer finally comes out)
Windward
Saints Row: The Third
Secrets of Grindea
aaand maybe Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 with openRCT?

Reactions: Tizm and VinsCool

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Journey is a good one. Castle Crashes also, Magicka, Trine. The LEGO games, if you're into those types of things, also make pretty excellent co-op games.

Duck Game
Of the hundreds of hours I have in Duck Game, I can't say a single one of them has not been filled with salt. :P

Reactions: LittleFlame

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
NO THE CUBE GOES THERE!
THERE YOU ABSOLUTE ASSTARD!

yes.. helps friendships
100% Orange Juice is good i guess
L4D2 and Rocket League
Project Zomboid
Duck Game
Stardew Valley (When the multiplayer finally comes out)
Windward
Saints Row: The Third
Secrets of Grindea
aaand maybe Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 with openRCT?
That's not how portal 2 coop went for me at all. It was a lot of fun. You must just have bad friends. :unsure:

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Journey is a good one. Castle Crashes also, Magicka, Trine. The LEGO games, if you're into those types of things, also make pretty excellent co-op games.

Of the hundreds of hours I have in Duck Game, I can't say a single one of them has not been filled with salt. :P
really with my friends there are no hard feelings.. i hope
I do always win tho but as far as i know except for one person they never get mad

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's really not the game but the community attitude. I've played UT2004 for years, and had some very decent friends in the community in that time. The reason was that even though this was a bloody and very competitive game, there was also good sportsmanship (at least on the servers I played on) and on forums, the will to help out one another (many agreed and trained together, gave tips, walkthroughs, ...). The fact that the game had an editor that allowed for map and mod making also helped the feeling. We all had to gain by working together.

But as to games that are specifically aimed at such: I'd go with true co-op games. meaning: the co-op games where you have to rely on each others skills rather than just extra cannon fodder.

Portal 2 is already mentioned. I'd also mention games like octodad, lovers in a dangerous space time and ibb & obb.
Oh, and board games. Provided you're all there to have a good time and nobody is taking winning personally, it'll help friendship.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I met a japanese friend from tokyo by playing Phantasy Star Online on dreamcast, and one year later visited Tokyo thanks to that game!
My best friend met her companion (they are living together now) on Final Fantasy 14.
MMORPG seems good to meet people, without having that in mind. just play and enjoy the game, don't do that only to meet someone.

I don't have local friend with whom I could play co-op couch games, I can't make or ruin friendship with any games.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have local friend with whom I could play co-op couch games, I can't make or ruin friendship with any games.
Hard to say lucky you don't get drama of video games or worried not having someone to play with.

Well i would assume everyone would be suggestion mmorpg games, but i had hoped to avoid it, since it makes too easy of a discussion, more challenge would be almost anything else besides the mmorpg games. Most of the times i don't really like the idea since it just means if someone is better than you obviously have more time on it than you do, and even when you not playing, others can get stronger while you just stay undeveloped. I doubt some people gonna be like "Hey, i'll wait till you're ready to play again so we can keep going together" Is just the idea of it seem pretty drastic in terms of player consistency and maintain stability to progress. Then again, the games seem to never end in the first place. I hope there is one kind that can balance the situation enough for everyone.:unsure:

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think co ops in general .. some stuff maybe be problematic but who care? haha I think co op are better than competitive about that.. have a good time together hahah
I like much to play ragnarok battle offline (sadly I think no online mod was made? =3=) one time I played with a friend and wa svery hard t us to pass the stages together XD I ever thogth that the game became very more harder if playe din multpalyer lol other time another friend come and we played it ... was so much easier LOLOL

D

Deleted User

Here are some good co-op games, where it does not really matter if one of the player screws up or is not as good as others. All of them are for PC / Steam (and most of them can be found on consoles), which nowadays is suprisingly good for local couch gameplay for 2-4 players (if you own 4 controllers, preferably XB360 controllers for easiest setup).

- Lovers in a dangerous spacetime (4 players)
- Octodad: The Dadliest Catch (4 players)
- Trine 1/2/3 (3 players)
- Tiny Brains (4 players)
- Overcooked (4 players, pretty easy with more than 2)
- Keep talking and nobody explodes (2+ players)

Then there's another batch of lesser known gems, which I would really recommend, but they are more like relationship tests. These need A LOT of communication and synchronized play, and if you can't withstand your partner screwing up, these can break relationships. I actually think these have improved the bond between me and my girlfriend:

- Red Rope: Don't fall behind (2 players) - players are literally bound together with a rope, and only way to kill enemies is to kill them with the said rope (touching will be instant death)
- Ibb & Obb (2 players) - basic puzzle platformer, but needs good timing towards the end. Only for two players, no singleplayer.
- Kalimba (2 players) - same as above, but timing is even more important, but with good singleplayer experience too
- Splosion Man (for Xbox 360, 2-4 players) - manageable with 2, with 4 you need godlike collaboration and timing between players

I also recommend playing point'n click games with your best friend / significant other - assuming you don't mind banging your head to wall together.

Right now all the local versus games I play (Crawl, Towerfall: Ascension, Ultimate Chicken Horse, Speedrunners, Party Saboteurs, Pull me Push you) are pretty "in your face", but my playing group is pretty chill anyways, so nobody really gets angry if they lose... well, one player got pretty angry after a few cheap plays in Crawl. From these versus games, I would suggest Towerfall with 4 players, since it's very easy to get into (and the game is quite chaotic with 4) and the game prevents you from being asshole.

Keep in mind all these games I have only played local, and most of them do not support online play, so you need to meet the players some other way.

Last edited by ,

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
My family and I have played a bunch of Tales of games together and it's been a lot of fun. Tales is a 4-player, co-op, combo-centric, action RPG, and is one of those games that hits a breadth of emotional notes during the course of the story, so I'd recommend Tales first and foremost if you want a bonding experience. Just to give you an idea, during each game we played, the tone of the room traversed the full spectrum from making irreverent jokes at the game's/each other's expense to tearing up at story/character drama to excitedly barking orders during tense boss fights. Maybe start with either Tales of the Abyss (PS2) or Tales of Symphonia (GameCube/PS2/PS3/Steam/Ti calculators/blenders/Foosball tables), as those are two games which are highly praised in the franchise and might also get a bit overshadowed by Vesperia if you were to play that first. Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of Symphonia as I feel it aged very poorly, but it's very beloved by most fans and you'll likely have the best time with it were it the first Tales you play. Abyss still holds up very well, in my opinion, and while the story is generally praised (by myself as well), it can be hit-or-miss for some. If you enjoy those, I'd recommend going on to Vesperia, Graces f, and the Xillias on the PS3. Tales is very prolific, so you should have a lot of content to chew through with some pals. Don't have a PS3? Well, there's an inferior, though still very fun, version of Vesperia on the Xbox360, so that could suffice.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to mention that the only game to avoid would be Tales of Zestiria. Not only is that game generally very unpopular, but the multiplayer camera in particular makes the game almost unplayable at certain points. I'd also recommend staying away from any Tales game before Symphonia, as that's the point at which, in my most humble and fanatical fanboy opinion, the series really came into its own.

Last edited by Meteor7,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker