Multiplayer Arkham Origins skipping WiiU

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The saying goes, "hard work pays off later, but laziness often pays off now" Such is the way of the developer. Gimping ports will not motivate people, and if they think it will help sales. HA, that's a good one.

Who said anything about gimping ports to help sales? If anything, they're choosing to not even waste the resources necessary for a "gimped port" of that feature because they know the hypothetical attention multiplayer would supposedly bring isn't worth the time and effort...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who said anything about gimping ports to help sales? If anything, they're choosing to not even waste the resources necessary for a "gimped port" of that feature because they know the hypothetical attention multiplayer would supposedly bring isn't worth the time and effort...

They might as well not port it at all. No one's gonna feel like buying a gimped port. I just don't get why they want to port it over regardless.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

But you can't say that when you don't know what it would be like if they actually put the effort into giving us a full experience. So far no game has done that on the WiiU. If the consumer actually saw that the developers are giving us the best possible experience, then we would care more. But they aren't, so why should we buy their game again? To support the fact that we're okay with half assed ports?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you can't say that when you don't know what it would be like if they actually put the effort into giving us a full experience. So far no game has done that on the WiiU. If the consumer actually saw that the developers are giving us the best possible experience, then we would care more. But they aren't, so why should we buy their game again? To support the fact that we're okay with half assed ports?

Need For Speed Most Wanted is the only exception.. It was actually the best port out of all console versions (enhanced graphics, etc.) but it didn't sell so well. Luckily, Ubisoft's upcoming games don't look like gimped ports either, and you can be damn sure I'll support them.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah NFSMWU is brilliant, I have it here and love it. I am not very far in the game, really, I just drive around aimlessly as I enjoy that. I also pre-ordered Watch_Dogs for WiiU. AC4 will be a PS3 release for me simply because I have the others all on PS3 and my little OCD doesn't allow me to change it if there is no change necessary until the storyline is finished.
I'll also get Lego Marvel Superheores on Wii U :)

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Need For Speed Most Wanted is the only exception.. It was actually the best port out of all console versions (enhanced graphics, etc.) but it didn't sell so well. Luckily, Ubisoft's upcoming games don't look like gimped ports either, and you can be damn sure I'll support them.

It didn't sell well because it came out like what, 7 months or so after the release on other consoles?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It didn't sell well because it came out like what, 7 months or so after the release on other consoles?

It was just bad timing on their part. Good port, bad time to release it. Damn shame really. I'm just sick of people saying the Wii U is incapable of having good port, because it is, the major problem is the bad marketing.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Why spend resources on developing/porting a feature that is barely going to get utilized? I'd be curious to know how much of the Wii U's paltry install base even connects to the internet...
Why spend resources on developing/porting a game at all if you're going to purposely gimp it, dooming it to comparatively poor sales as a result? Not having any other platform besides Wii U is the only possible logical reason why someone would buy the Wii U version with less features for the same price.

And that "internet" comment is extremely condescending. Just because people play comparatively weaker Nintendo hardware as their system of choice doesn't mean they're cavemen who have no interest in those fancy internet things. -_-

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why spend resources on developing/porting a game at all if you're going to purposely gimp it, dooming it to comparatively poor sales as a result? Not having any other platform besides Wii U is the only possible logical reason why someone would buy the Wii U version with less features for the same price.

And that "internet" comment is extremely condescending. Just because people play comparatively weaker Nintendo hardware as their system of choice doesn't mean they're cavemen who have no interest in those fancy internet things. -_-

What the developers need to learn is that you can't expect a flower to grow if you aren't going to give it soil and water.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So, what will their excuse be when it comes around to the PS4/XB1?
Yeah, I wonder if they won't just stick to PS3 and 360 and leave THEIR new consoles with all the garbage ports, too, because "no one owns the hardware :cry: "

At least, theoretically, a port to those systems from PC will be easier than any home console we have now. I guess we'll have to just wait and see this holiday season who sells hardware well and who doesn't.

If Ninty could get some good ads out there this holiday saying
"At least we have moar gaems than PS4/XB1"
Maybe they can attract enough of the customers this year that actually realize it's not just a Wii accessory to get ahead ... maybe.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
What the developers need to learn is that you can't expect a flower to grow if you aren't going to give it soil and water.
Better example: you have 3 flowers you've been tending to for years. Then someone gives you a fourth, which is still a sapling. You purposely give less soil and water to it than the others because you're afraid it'll be a waste of pennies and it won't pay off or grow as healthy as the others. Then you wonder why the flower isn't growing that well.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's in the best interest of developers to push the gaming community towards the consoles where they have the best chance to move significant product. Giving devs who want to push the envelope graphically and make BIGGER games underpowered hardware and a tablet they're force to find some way to utilize didn't do Nintendo any favors.

It's up to Nintendo to make their console a viable option. Just like it's up to MS and Sony to make their consoles worth it. It's not on Rocksteady or WB or Ubisoft or EA, etc... Everyone was on board at launch. Nintendo dropped the ball with their lack of first party support and nonexistent advertising.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
that mentality right there...

"everyone was on board at launch"...

THAT was the mistake! instead of throwing out cheap ports at launch, they should have taken their time to develop a solid product and release the games during the LAUNCH PERIOD. that would have been a MUCH better strategy. it would give each game more time to shine in the spotlight instead of being crowded and it would give each game more time to be polished instead of being a cheap ass port. and nobody can afford to buy more than three launch games anyway (most people cant) so why even bother with 30+ launch games when you know most suck?

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's in the best interest of developers to push the gaming community towards the consoles where they have the best chance to move significant product. Giving devs who want to push the envelope graphically and make BIGGER games underpowered hardware and a tablet they're force to find some way to utilize didn't do Nintendo any favors.

It's up to Nintendo to make their console a viable option. Just like it's up to MS and Sony to make their consoles worth it. It's not on Rocksteady or WB or Ubisoft or EA, etc... Everyone was on board at launch. Nintendo dropped the ball with their lack of first party support and nonexistent advertising.

So what you're saying is that it's way too much of work to copy and paste the multiplayer over. Also you can't talk about graphically and underpowered hardware when the WiiU is stronger than both PS3 and 360. Also, they don't have to use the GamePad. They could just use the Pro Controller... like Monster Hunter, which has a booming online community.

Face it, this is just WB being fucking retarded and thinking that WiiU fans will roll over and take it. And when we don't, they'll blame the consumer when it's their fault.

This is all on them, don't turn this around on Nintendo or the consumer or anything, it's all WB and them being lazy and stupid.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Be that as it may, intentionally removing the online feature (or as in the case of any port, removing a key feature) will make people not want the Wii U version. If they added it back, more people will buy that version. But hey, if I'm wrong about that, then I'm wrong. Who knows, maybe some people don't care about online.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ITT Buyer's remorse and a desperate need for scapegoats

Be that as it may, intentionally removing the online feature (or as in the case of any port, removing a key feature) will make people not want the Wii U version. If they added it back, more people will buy that version. But hey, if I'm wrong about that, then I'm wrong. Who knows, maybe some people don't care about online.

The problem is, online multiplayer just doesn't come cheap. Servers are a huge expense, and if enough people aren't playing your game to compensate for that, it just isn't worth the money. Any extra sales the game would earn by including multiplayer are probably outweighed by maintenance costs.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ITT Buyer's remorse and a desperate need for scapegoats

The problem is, online multiplayer just doesn't come cheap. Servers are a huge expense, and if enough people aren't playing your game to compensate for that, it just isn't worth the money. Any extra sales the game would earn by including multiplayer is probably outweighed by maintenance costs.

True, so either way, porting to the console is a gamble, and one they hope will be worth taking. We'll see what happens ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.