MultiBoy32, A New Nintendo Virtual Boy Flash Kit from Kevin Mellott

14261_5c7ecd6a8749f.png
14261_5c803233a2516.jpeg

Nintendo's little red console that could, the Virutal Boy, has received the interest of many talented programmers and engineers as of late. Following the announcement for brand new ribbon cables in the works, came the introduction of the MultiBoy32. The brain child of Kevin Mellott (VB link cable, Mario Tennis 2 player carts, a VB controller-to-PC adapter, and other inventions), this new Flash Kit is set to be released towards the end of summer, 2019. The price point is currently at $150, making it only $50 more than the single ROM solution FlashBoy. For more information and to get on the waiting list, check the source link below.

The Designer said:
Flash space: 32 slots of 32Mbit RAM via a 1Gbit Flash.
RAM space: 256k x 16 SRAM space (8k x 16 per slot) using MRAM (no battery needed).
Full 16bit SRAM bus instead of the production 8bit width.
On board 32bit microcontroller (MCU) for programming slots.
USB input for interfacing and control.
Games loaded via SD card slot.
On screen game selection themed around my 8bit VB character Do-Do.
Arduino compatible MCU (custom firmware development if you're so inclined).

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
GBAtemp's Official Virtual Boy Review!

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Virtual Boy gets a bad rap from all the people that have never played it creating a big echo chamber of hate. Mario Tennis was decent, same with Clash. The Wario game was really good and Vertical Force is a really cool (but kind of easy) ShmUp. It never gave me a headache, but I adjusted the stand and pupilary distance slider properly xP I've lost my kickstand but I still have all the other pieces and my games for it..

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Also for those who have been following the VB scene there is a Street Fighter 2 homebrew game for the VB, only a handful of carts was ever made.

The 1st run was 75 carts, and they cost $150 each. They were limited to 2 per-buyer. With a Kevin Mellott link cable it is possible to play 2-player with 2 carts. It's a really fun experience!

Now, there is word that someone have dumped the cart and have the rom but decide against sharing it

I think it's more that a certain someone got a cart to dump the ROM so they could make reproductions to fit a demand. Then another certain someone who was originally involved with the 75 cart run got upset, so those reproductions are now a little hard to come by. Unless you know which certain someone to ask. ;] With that said, JohnnyPhantom at PlanetVB is making a 2nd "official" run with the blessing of the original crew who put out the 75 cart run. He has original boards, so essentially its an extension of the 75 cart run. He just reported that he is settled into his new home and has plans to begin making the 2nd run soon.

-Another World

Reactions: xs4all

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Holy Jesus! The Sega CD version is still the way to go for me, but this honestly looks like a heap of fun to mess around with.

It's the story behind it that gets me. One dev is literally making it as an homage to the person who started it, and then suddenly passed away! The 1st part is amazing! It's really fun on actual hardware, the 3D comes off really well, and the text isn't troublesome to read at all.

-Another World

Reactions: Deleted User

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
I've lost my kickstand but I still have all the other pieces and my games for it..

https://www.hyperkin.com/virtual-boy-replacement-stand-repairbox.html =)

Holy Jesus! The Sega CD version is still the way to go for me, but this honestly looks like a heap of fun to mess around with.

For anyone looking to experience the Snatcher Act-1 on actual hardware, there are these carts available: https://www.vintex64.com/store/p175/Snatcher-Act-1.html

They were not made with the blessing of the original developer.

-Another World

Reactions: SonyUSA

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heck no. No thanks. The modern technology of advance video games are better than this for 150 dollars. Nice try. NO THANKS!!

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
no fucking way I would pay $150 for a VB flash cart, I get he's trying to build an end game product but that price point is ridic

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, there is the original incarnation of Mario Tennis. Mario Clash is not bad either, although there's not a whole lot to it.

Wario Land VB definitely fits the description of must-play though.

Hence it's constant inclusion in the Wario Ware series as a micrograme. They should make a full port already.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get the animosity towards this, flashcarts are flashcarts, any and all help preserve games because Nintendo is being a bunch of litigious losers over their games that they don't even distribute. The more flashcarts we have the better for keeping ROMs from disappearing.

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the people with sticker shock: it's not that any flash cart in particular is cheap. None of the Everdrives nor their competitors are very cheap. There's a lot of (reverse) engineering involved, as well as firmware development and then the cost of fabrication which is rather expensive based on volume.

Why is this one $150 when much more popular systems have cheaper flashcarts? Again, volume. The flash solutions for niche systems are always going to be higher cost than for a system that has more customers ready to buy, as the available customer base for this product is small (personally, I've missed out on the VB flashcarts in the past and now may be the time). Still cheaper than buying the complete collection of games for this system.

Many would say why not emulation? There's always the thrill of paying on original hardware. I will admit it's slightly more difficult to justify why I'd like to play on an SNES vs. a RetroPie setup, unless I'm using some odd peripheral device. Yes, there are emulators for the Virtual Boy. Yes, there are ways to display them in a type of "3D" setting either through using those blue-red glasses (I forget the name) or various types of 3D monitor configurations. Unfortunately, no, they do not emulate very well the experience of playing on the Virtual Boy's native and early 3D display. Much like how every early Wii game used waggle or every early DS game tacked on some type of touchscreen functionality, the Virtual Boy games that exist very much are dependent on the 3D depth effect that the system could create. I understand if you've never used one (I've had one since the Toys R Us clearance sale, and the few games I have are CIB) but...yeah. It's not an easily replicated experience, nor can you ever truly replicate the headache an improperly configured one could give you.

To the above poster that quoted my post about Wario Land VB being a must-play title, I have wondered about a port myself. I thought the 3DS would be a perfect target, but I'm not sure if the adjustable 3D slider with the red/black high contrast would have particularly worked well with the backgrounds in the game (anybody who's played it probably knows what I mean). I wonder if they have a VR headset type device in the future if that would be the platform that it could land on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBmc3-J5AM