Multibootstrap: Patch multiboot GBA ROMs to run from a cartridge

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There are playable multiboot GBA ROMs which can be dumped from games like Nintendo Puzzle Collection, Puzzle League and Wario World.
These ROMs will only run in multiboot mode from RAM, not as a cartridge ROM.
Emulators seem to handle these fine but annoyingly some flashcarts like the EZ Flash Omega don't know how to handle multiboot ROMs.
This program will insert bootstrapping code to copy itself to RAM if it detects it's running as a regular ROM. Just drag your ROM onto the exe and it will be patched. They will work both from multiboot and from cartridges.
It's pretty quick and dirty, so don't blame me if it corrupts your ROM or makes your GBA catch fire. It worked on the ROMs I tried though.
Homebrew ROMs won't need this patching, since devkitARM and devkitadv include similar bootstrapping code.

Attachments

• multibootstrap.zip
    36.6 KB · Views: 140

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Out of legitimate curiosity, what are the differences between this and Multiboot Menu at http://pineight.com/gba/#mbmenu ?

It's so cool to see people still working on GBA stuff. Keep it up!
The difference is that I didn't know it existed. Multiboot Menu would probably have been sufficient if I knew when writing this :P

Otherwise, I guess the only difference is that there's no menu. It just loads the ROM directly.

kephunk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I run mbmenu?? I am trying to run it in visual studio and it says I need a 'shell script' am I supposed to run it something else?
For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to run mbmenu at all. There's shell scripts (which is fine, I'm on Linux) but it appears its expecting a bunch of environment dependencies and there's not much in the way of documentation on how to get those setup or installed.

@metroid maniac I very much appreciated how simple your multibootstrap was and how you also supplied the C code in your zip file. That allowed me to compile it on Linux and run it on the collection of multiboot roms I had and I used it for running them on my Analogue Pocket.

Reactions: metroid maniac

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo