Multi monitor gaming

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys. Well i recently connected my pc to my tv aswell cuz i wanted to do some gaming on the tv aswell. Gonna simply cut to the chase, the screens are in two completely different rooms, so to make things easy for me, i've chosen to mirror the screens. Thing is, if i choose to play a game, it always plays only on the pc screen and not the tv (which i want). Does anyone here know why that might be?

I first figured it might be cuz my pc monitor used to be primary display, so i changed it, and after which i mirrored the screen again, but alas got the same results. Anyone know how to solve this?
Any help is much apreciated, thanks!

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
How did you connect your PC to displays in 2 different rooms? You must have an extremely long cable..

Anyways, you might have to change the settings in the game you're playing. I'm not exactly sure though, I have never done something like this.

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indeed i have a long cable (and i drilled a hole in the wall ;P ) Yeah i tried looking in game but (just one so far) and didn't find such a setting, and think a setting like "choose which monitor to play game on when mirrored" probably is not common. But since i am mirroring, and when playing a game it chooses my small screen instead of the big one (same resolution on both though), means that there must be someway to make it choose the other monitor right?

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I could do that, but then choosing a game would be quite difficult since the computer itself is in another room completely, which is why i want to mirror it so i can choose the game from my pc, and then playing on the tv that's in the other room

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
My experience is that when mirroring the display, the secondary screen will automatically switch to the resolution of the primary display. This can either result in a tiny display, or in the display being much bigger thn the screen can physically fit. When launching the game, the difference in resolution can also cause one of the screens not to display properly due to unsupported resolutions.

Tweaks to fix this do exist, but I forget where to look (I've not tried this since years ago).

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My experience is that when mirroring the display, the secondary screen will automatically switch to the resolution of the primary display. This can either result in a tiny display, or in the display being much bigger the the screen can physically fit. When launching the game, the difference in resolution can also cause one of the screens not to display properly due to unsupported resolutions.

Tweaks to fix this do exist, but I forget where to look (I've not tried this since years ago).
i had to use nvidia control panel to alter the res.

(ps you miss spelled the)

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to say but the resolution on both screens are full hd (1080p) so it doesn't make sense why it always chooses the one screen over the other.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I guess the monitor is connected with DVI and the TV with HDMI? Maybe the graphics card automatically takes the DVI as the "primary monitor", overriding the settings?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Even from a performance point of view, I'd recommend you to switch to projector only ( e.g. only the external display).
That would fix your problem.

Now for the how to run your game problem, I assume that you are using a controller to play your games on the big TV.
You can use a third party application like Joytokey or Xpadder, simulate the mouse on one of your joystick axes and bahm, you'll be able to navigate windows remotely from your couch.

Also there are tiny wireless keyboard with touch pad, very inexpensive ( I've seen it for under $20 ) that you can take with you in the other room and control your PC with.
Such as this (I'm not recommending this particular model, it's just an example):
UBTIR003400_02_L.jpg

Really, it's a tiny investment but you'll solve your problem and on the plus side you'll be able to switch between games without ever leaving your couch !

Reactions: tbgtbg

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
using an amd/ati gpu, in catalyst, you have to go to "common display task" -> "set main desktop" and click on the screen you want your game to be displayed on.
it should be something similar for nvidia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: @HoTuan You'll need one that hasn't had its stock firmware updated in quite some time, for starters