Multi monitor gaming

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Digeman, Mar 18, 2013.

Mar 18, 2013

Multi monitor gaming by Digeman at 12:02 AM (507 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Digeman
    OP

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Hey guys. Well i recently connected my pc to my tv aswell cuz i wanted to do some gaming on the tv aswell. Gonna simply cut to the chase, the screens are in two completely different rooms, so to make things easy for me, i've chosen to mirror the screens. Thing is, if i choose to play a game, it always plays only on the pc screen and not the tv (which i want). Does anyone here know why that might be?

I first figured it might be cuz my pc monitor used to be primary display, so i changed it, and after which i mirrored the screen again, but alas got the same results. Anyone know how to solve this?
    Any help is much apreciated, thanks!

2. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    How did you connect your PC to displays in 2 different rooms? You must have an extremely long cable..

Anyways, you might have to change the settings in the game you're playing. I'm not exactly sure though, I have never done something like this.

3. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Indeed i have a long cable (and i drilled a hole in the wall ;P ) Yeah i tried looking in game but (just one so far) and didn't find such a setting, and think a setting like "choose which monitor to play game on when mirrored" probably is not common. But since i am mirroring, and when playing a game it chooses my small screen instead of the big one (same resolution on both though), means that there must be someway to make it choose the other monitor right?

4. DroRox

Member DroRox Ambassador of Ooo

United States
    Can't you make it so that it ignores one screen completely? I do that when I connect my laptop to my TV. I make it so it displays "Projector Only".

5. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    I could do that, but then choosing a game would be quite difficult since the computer itself is in another room completely, which is why i want to mirror it so i can choose the game from my pc, and then playing on the tv that's in the other room

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    My experience is that when mirroring the display, the secondary screen will automatically switch to the resolution of the primary display. This can either result in a tiny display, or in the display being much bigger thn the screen can physically fit. When launching the game, the difference in resolution can also cause one of the screens not to display properly due to unsupported resolutions.

Tweaks to fix this do exist, but I forget where to look (I've not tried this since years ago).

7. nukeboy95

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    i had to use nvidia control panel to alter the res.

(ps you miss spelled the)

8. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Typing on an iPad whilst still half asleep does lend itself to typos :P

I still think unsupported resolutions is a probable answer.

9. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Sorry to say but the resolution on both screens are full hd (1080p) so it doesn't make sense why it always chooses the one screen over the other.

10. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    I guess the monitor is connected with DVI and the TV with HDMI? Maybe the graphics card automatically takes the DVI as the "primary monitor", overriding the settings?

11. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Even from a performance point of view, I'd recommend you to switch to projector only ( e.g. only the external display).
    That would fix your problem.

Now for the how to run your game problem, I assume that you are using a controller to play your games on the big TV.
    You can use a third party application like Joytokey or Xpadder, simulate the mouse on one of your joystick axes and bahm, you'll be able to navigate windows remotely from your couch.

Also there are tiny wireless keyboard with touch pad, very inexpensive ( I've seen it for under $20 ) that you can take with you in the other room and control your PC with.
    Such as this (I'm not recommending this particular model, it's just an example):
    [​IMG]
    Really, it's a tiny investment but you'll solve your problem and on the plus side you'll be able to switch between games without ever leaving your couch !

tbgtbg likes this.
  12. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    using an amd/ati gpu, in catalyst, you have to go to "common display task" -> "set main desktop" and click on the screen you want your game to be displayed on.
    it should be something similar for nvidia