Hardware MSI GT72VR Dominator Pro Storage Options?

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I bought a MSI GT72VR Dominator Pro from XoticPC about a year ago. It is a good laptop, but I am quickly running out of room for my games and stuff. It currently has the following installed:

- 1TB Western Digital BLUE M.2 SSD (Read 545MB/s - Write 525MB/s)
- 2TB SSHD Seagate FireCuda Gaming Hybrid Drive (SATA - 6Gb/s)

I have been looking at larger capacity drives online, but the 4 and 5TB ones I see are 15mm in height. Would a 15mm height drive fit in my laptop? I called MSI support, and the tech was not helpful at all. He just said to take out HDD and measure it. I opened my laptop today and looked at the actual 2TB drive, but there were no measurements on it. Help and thoughts GREATLY appreciated
smile.png

supersega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The internet claims that SSHD is 7mm in thickness. That Dominator Pro can come with a 9.5mm drive standard, but I see no option for a 15mm drive. Your best bet is external storage via USB 3.0.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info guys. I talked to both XoticPC (Where I ordered my laptop from), and MSI. Even though I have an MSI laptop, their support really sucks. Xotic was more helpful to me than MSI was regarding my issue. I do have an 4TB External HDD and all of the USB ports on my laptop are USB 3.0, but the 4TB drive is kinda big/bulky. My question now is, is it safe/doable to play/run games off an external drive? Help greatly appreciated :)

RealLatias

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info guys. I talked to both XoticPC (Where I ordered my laptop from), and MSI. Even though I have an MSI laptop, their support really sucks. Xotic was more helpful to me than MSI was regarding my issue. I do have an 4TB External HDD and all of the USB ports on my laptop are USB 3.0, but the 4TB drive is kinda big/bulky. My question now is, is it safe/doable to play/run games off an external drive? Help greatly appreciated :)
You probably wouldn't have too many issues, however, it wouldn't be as optimal as running the games straight off of your hard drive or SSD. Games might have small differences in loading times specifically, but I doubt anything bad would happen other than that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    ouch @K3Nv2 hope nothing's too bad !
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    xda a good site. My go to site for phone shit. :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Females have burnt me worse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    females don't exist
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Tamales exist.
    +1
    Setting FF to max performance on my gpu made it slower. lol. Tried it on Edge too just to see, and it made Edge slower too. lol
    Thanks for trying. :)
    +1
    ill just use edge and watch nintendo videos on firefox. lolol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The everything beagle cup noodles are actually pretty decent
    dog noodles. mmmmmm.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    monkey brains
    The cream cheese flavoring in the bagel cups scares me
    Did you try the breakfast one they make?
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    A good salmon Poké bowl with some cream cheese is decadent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's really not bad you just think of cold cream cheese
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    being lactose intolerant is a sin
    I dont like cream cheese. Thats why. Haha. The breakfast noodle cup sounds fantastic though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I beat grilled cream cheese would be top notch
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    @ZeroT21 tons of ingredients contains lactose more or less sadly. Makes them tummy aches and farts-o-lantern rocket launches
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My only gripe too many poppy seeds a cop may taze me
    "Start your day with Cup Noodles Breakfast! This limited time flavor blends ramen with your favorite breakfast flavors, including pancakes, maple syrup, sausage, and eggs."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If our Walmart has them yours probably does
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I came to like french Camembert
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: I came to like french Camembert