• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,043
  • Replies 71
D

Deleted User

OP

QUOTE said:
Microsoft has offered its most strongly worded prediction yet that Blu-ray will be extinct before it can become the de facto disc format of the video games industry.

MS has previously told CVG that it isn't interested in adopting Blu-ray for Xbox as it instead considers digital media the long-term 'future of home entertainment'.

Now UK Xbox boss Stephen McGill has claimed that the format will be "passed by" before it can make an impact.

"I think people may have spoken about [Xbox's lack of a Blu-ray drive] originally, but that's long gone," he told X360A.

"I think people now recognise what a smart decision it was to keep the pricing low, and actually Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format. People have moved through from DVDs to digital downloads and digital streaming, so we offer full HD 1080p Blu-ray quality streaming instantly, no download, no delay. So, who needs Blu-ray?"

McGill's comments come after developers such as Capcom and Mercury Steam have discussed the "problem" of creating games on multiple DVD discs for Xbox 360.

The European Blu-ray Disc Association told CVG earlier this month that Microsoft would be "welcome" to join its ranks.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
blu-ray-too-small-mgs4-kojima.jpg

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's already been proven that most people prefer a physical copy of something they bought rather then a digital copy. Blu-Ray will make a huge impact.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MicroSoft said:
so we offer full HD 1080p Blu-ray quality streaming instantly, no download, no delay.

I highly doubt that there is no delay when streaming the quality of footage on anything other than uber fast fibre optic broadband or something really expensive with limited coverage like that. Blu-ray will NEVER have delay, regardless of speed of internet connection, so is FAR superior IMHO.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion the reason you don't need Blu-Ray is to A) Keep costs down B) Keep Loading times down (the Blu-Ray drive in the PS3 needs help from HDD installs a lot fo the time) and C) Games aren't really requiring it as of yet. Only FFXIII really needed it for its vaguely compressed 1080p cutscenes.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
SifJar said:
MicroSoft said:
so we offer full HD 1080p Blu-ray quality streaming instantly, no download, no delay.

I highly doubt that there is no delay when streaming the quality of footage on anything other than uber fast fibre optic broadband or something really expensive with limited coverage like that. Blu-ray will NEVER have delay, regardless of speed of internet connection, so is FAR superior IMHO.
maybe for japan or wherever the hell they have them connections but they don't exist here max speeds we got is 24mb/s but only like 5% actually get that speed!

Kaitouroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bladexdsl said:
SifJar said:
MicroSoft said:

maybe for japan or wherever the hell they have them connections but they don't exist here max speeds we got is 24mb/s but only like 5% actually get that speed!
Not to mention that some people have bandwidths.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I haven't used a disc since I got a high speed internet connection apart from xbox games that is.
If blu ray is going to be bypassed then everyone needs an internet connection capable of downloading 1080p movies in a reasonable amount of time (under 6 hours for sure?) which I don't think everyone will have for the foreseeable future though.
frown.gif

I have to agree when im using the blu ray discs I always think it feels a bit old fashioned
tongue.gif
already

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.