Homebrew MP4 Player

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I thought that I saw somewhere that there was an MP4 Player homebrew for the DS. This sounds way too good to be true, but I'd like to make sure anyway.

If it helps, I use a CycloDS and a DSTWO.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The source/sample file link is down (the guy was hosting it on his own PC if I'm reading right), so I can't tell if this is any old MP4, or if it was one specifically converted (to remove look-ahead frames and lower the resolution)... so if it's one that's converted, might as well go DPG and moonshell.

TestNtune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunno, i use m4a ipod music on Moonshell 2. They also work with DSOrganize. Does not work with that ipod skinned player (forgot the name) mp3 only. Best to use IMTOO dpg converter and play the dpg videos with Moonshell 2. For now anyway.
Wish we had something like DSOrganize only much better, or at least an update. That program has so much potential.

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
for MP4 video there is always Tuna-viDS, though it needs to be specificly converted - but it doesn't take up NEAR as much space as DPG and can be converted with standard tools (MediaCoder, ffmpeg...)

http://filetrip.net/f5307-tunavids-for-MoonShell2.html

EDIT: Just for the record, my encoding settings I pretty much perfected via trial/error (any higher lags):

16:9 video: 256x144 resolution, 14fps, 192k 1-pass XviD video, 64k 2-channel stereo audio at 32000hz, AVI container
4:3 video: 256x192 resolution, 10fps, 192k 1-pass XviD video, 64k 2-channel stereo audio at 32000hz, AVI container

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have only ever watched .dpg's on my DS and I can say if you convert then yourself from decent files (or your own DVD's) they come out pretty good, at least very watchable
smile.gif

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
From what an admin says at GBATMW, "I don't know if he's continued development since any of us last talked about it, but apparently it doesn't playback videos all that well. The DS simply isn't that powerful enough because it doesn't have a dedicated hardware MPEG-4 decoder like other devices have."

I have never tried it myself (have only tried DSVideo and Moonshell), but if I recall correctly there was a great review said that .dpg format rivals the iPlayer's quality...Of course, I will always stick with Moonshell2 just because the new converter has a decent conversion speed, I have never had to worry about audio desyncing, etc.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
macgeek417 said:
fearofshorts said:
Tuna-viDS does not play h.264/AVC.
It's XviD/DivX only stuff- nowhere near as advanced.
So? XviD still looks LOADS better than DPG

Not with all of the settings that Tuna-viDS requires (yeah, just like .DPG).
Personally, I'd say that properly encoded Tuna-viDS videos are about the same quality (or a little bit lower) than DPG4 videos.

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So what type of files does Tuna-viDS play? And if it does play only specifc file's, is there a converter, tutoorial, and recommended settings for it?

And do u have to run it off moonshell? meaning do u have to have moonshell for it to work?

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
welp, then it looks like that is actually a plug for moonshell, though the DL doenst state that =(

try 1.0 instead, and read the readme for all the instructions/info

and for the life of me, i cant get the converter working (norton thinks its a virus, although its not), but ive used it in the past, so i know it works=|

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JonthanD said:
I have only ever watched .dpg's on my DS and I can say if you convert then yourself from decent files (or your own DVD's) they come out pretty good, at least very watchable
smile.gif

fearofshorts said:
macgeek417 said:
QUOTE(fearofshorts @ Sep 3 2010, 12:33 PM) Tuna-viDS does not play h.264/AVC.
It's XviD/DivX only stuff- nowhere near as advanced.
So? XviD still looks LOADS better than DPG

Not with all of the settings that Tuna-viDS requires (yeah, just like .DPG).
Personally, I'd say that properly encoded Tuna-viDS videos are about the same quality (or a little bit lower) than DPG4 videos.

I mean that properly encoded Tuna-viDS AVIs look better than a DPG of the same size.

And if you get the encoder settings right, Tuna-viDS can decode them without any problems.

Besides, BatchDPG doesn't work on this computer (it can bake subs into DPGs), and I need to bake subtitles into anime when I watch it on my DS =P

Why the heck does moonshell2 use DPG instead of standard m2v (or mpg) anyway? It would be MUCH better if it used a standard container.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.