1. falcon64z8

falcon64z8 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Whats wrong with the ds, I use the ipod homebrew + 8gigs = win!

2. ojsinnerz.

ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Too big to carry around just for music, subpar sound quality, FLAC isn't supported, and low battery life.

Those 4 are enough for me to get a separate mp3 player.

3. falcon64z8

falcon64z8 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    But think about you have games, music, movies, books, pictures, internet, and tons of apps in one device. How loud do you really need your music to be, I think the sound is just fine and yes I have heard better. Its not really that big, hey I used to carry the phat everywhere I go until I got the lite. With the lowest light settings and the ipod homebrew I get like 7+ hours of music listening time.

Well whatever floats your boat... Plus I like how it impresses people that the ds can do more than play games and I like educating people about flashcart and how they are used more than just for pirating games.

4. nin10do

OP nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    i originally bought my ds to double as an mp3 player. was incredibly disabpointed by the low sound quality though.
    i'm not sure whether the low quality is a hardware issue or a software one. i'm hoping its a software one and someone can update it or something.

even the psp originally couldn't play many video formats. however software updates fix'd that. got my fingers crossed for the ds.

5. aphirst

aphirst "Aren't girls with pee-pees just men?"

United Kingdom
    @Original Poster: I have a Creative ZEN 16GB, and I just thought I'd inform you that while music stored on the device itself is organised solely by the ID3 tags, any content on an inserted SD/SDHC card is organised by the folder structure on the card. So if that's what you want, I suppose you *could* get a Creative Zen with a smaller internal memory, and get a 32GB SDHC card. :yaygba:

Amazon UK have the 4GB one for about £55, and I've seen 32GB SDHCs for about £60-ish.

6. ojsinnerz.

ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    The problem with the Zen, is the fact that the main library isn't integrated when you put in the micro sd/sdhc. So, anything you want from your sd card cannot be put into your main library. Creative could've fixed this in a single firmware, but they still refuses to fix it. Heck, Cowon D2 does this.

Along with that, I've heard lots of cases of it having a rather poor build quality. I actually used this player before, and though it feels well constructed, it seems to be a bit on the cheap side.

7. kobykaan

kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

DON'T GET A ZUNE!

they are all FAILING lol due to they cannot handle leap years! doh!

8. ojsinnerz.

ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Just the old 30 gig models are, actually.

The new 80s/120s are fine, for some unknown reason.

9. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

I had to make this decision myself this year...i narrowed it down to the Cowon D2 or the Sony NWZ-S639. In the end i went for the Sony, since the touch screen and general aesthetic of the Cowon put me off, coupled with the comparative price differences for features i'd never need plus the fact that the S639 is possibly the best sounding DAP on the market.

10. superdude

superdude GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    how about the Zune 30gb [​IMG]

11. Filter

Filter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Still love the Ipod Nano (I got 4th gen). I hate Macs but damn do they make good MP3 players.

12. ackers

ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

4 serial? What could rockbox do to make the Clip better exactly? All I want is to enque my music can rockbox do that?

13. ojsinnerz.

ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    To put simply, Gapless Playback.

Also, I got myself a Clip just last week, and it sounds amazing for such a tiny device.

14. ojsinnerz.

ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    DO IT RIGHT NOW! I think they still have the 4 gig clips for 39 dollars till tomorrow!!! Check Futureshop's website. As much as I hate to use Futureshop, or bestbuy, this is one deal I certainly couldn't pass.

Also, they certainly don't look amazing even in person, seeing how it's really simplistic and all. But with some good phones, the sound quality is certainly impressive. To me, that makes up for it.

15. ojsinnerz.

ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Well, according to their site, the sale ends tomorrow.

There's still a good chance to get it.

16. ojsinnerz.

ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I'd love to, I really would, but since there aren't any Futureshops around Maple Ridge [​IMG]

Heck, I woke up 6:50 on Boxing day, and got there at about 7:30....

I'm sorry I can't help...

EDIT: It says, "Sale ends 1/1/2009" on futureshop's website.

17. ojsinnerz.

ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Good to hear that you got one!

18. PettingZoo

PettingZoo yesss

I gots an iPod 4th gen for Christmas D: and itunes is O_O (gonna try that winamp ipod plugin thing). I think you should get a Sony Walkman, the new ones are nice.

19. Try2bcool

Try2bcool GBAtemp Fan

United States

The only thing wrong with iTunes is that you can't feed it the unorganized mp3 mess that's on your hard drive and expect it to miraculously organize it. I bought a 16gb 4th Gen Nano and 2-120GB Classics for Christmas (actually the Sat. after Thanksgiving), and I am just now getting the 100gb of MP3's on my hard drive properly tagged so that iTunes doesn't make an impossible to use mess out of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - suggestions, player,