MP3 in-game

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Kawo, Jul 18, 2008.

Jul 18, 2008

MP3 in-game by Kawo at 1:48 PM (1,346 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Kawo
    OP

Member Kawo GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    After the in-game text reader what is the odds for this?

2. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Exactly 0%

3. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I think the in-game text reader already stresses the Cyclo's stability too much, there's no way that there can be enough system memory for an MP3 player in game.
    And just a note: The text reader isn't really breakthrough technology, the Supercard had it before the Cyclo although neither's is very good.

4. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    If they tried it, they would have to use an extremely low bit rate, and even that would either lag the game extremely or just make it crash.

5. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    They squeeze every last memory to made it able to display text file, I don't thing they can get anymore out of it. Unless CycloDS comes with a Secret build-in Quad-core CPU at first place....

6. XeroRestraint

Member XeroRestraint GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think they're just going to port XBox Media Center to the DS and add support to run XBMC in-game in either P-in-P (windowed) or translucent overlay mode. I mean, why stop at *just* MP3's?

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The DS has no underlying operating system, so you can't run both a DS game and an mp3 player application at the same time. The only way this would be possible would be to somehow patch the game to add the music file (after converting it to something the DS game can understand), though I highly doubt this is possible.

Keep in mind that decoding a single low-bitrate mp3 file takes the full power of the ARM7. The DS isn't the beefiest of machines after all.

8. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    It can't be done.

The DS has one processor with 66Mhz of power, and one with 33Mhz. It requires about 70Mhz (from what I've heard) to play an MP3 file.

Can you see the problem? There is simply not enough power in the DS's processors to play the game and an MP3 at the same time.