• Start date
  • Views 1,359
  • Replies 13
  • Likes 2
D

Deleted User

OP
Hi All

I am looking to move to a Linux Distro, Have been on Windows for 10+ years and have dabbled with Linux distro's throughout this period. I been doing some minor research and looking like I will go to Solus 4.

I have an AMD rig R5 1600 with 16GB and RX 570 4GB with 256 GB OEM Samsung OEM NVME SSD with an extra 500GB EVO 950 SATA SSD.

The main issue in the past with Linux is the power management and fan volume but from what I can ascertain I do not need to install extra software as kernel 4.20.16 seems to be optimized for AMD. I will be using it for general work, chatting on messenger and also gaming on Steam using Proton.

Any advice I get will be helpful?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would recommend not going Solus, but that's because they had awful support for my laptop and generally was really slow.

If you never used Linux really well before:
Linux Mint
Solus
Ubuntu (or some kind of version of it)

Wanna got medium to advanced:
Manjaro
Arch

Wanna go balls to the walls:
Gentoo
Linux From Scratch

Want to be a hipster:
Any BSD version (but your network speed will be awesome)

Reactions: Deleted User

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of us...
One of us...
Nah but really, I recommend any Ubuntu-based (or debian-based, which is slighter faster since Ubuntu builds upon it) operating system for starters. Linux Mint is great for new Linux users, and comes in both Ubuntu and Debian flavors.

From what I've gathered (I'm no means a Linux guru) you can have a base operating system and then optionally run a desktop on top of it (for your typical GUI experience). This not only gives you the choice of operating system, but of desktop look and function as well. I like and have used the Cinnamon desktop (which is one of the main desktops that Linux Mint comes with), but there are others like MATE to try out too.

Directory structure and program installation take a little getting used to, but there are plenty of guides online for Ubuntu/Debian questions so you should be fine with a little searching.

Linux gaming is still hairy and bug filled. If the game does not already support Linux, you can try to get it to run using wrappers like WINE or Proton, but results will vary for every system and game. On my machine, I find games to run faster on Debian than Win 10 (on my same desktop machine), such as Rocket League. I get these awful stutters in Windows that I simply don't get in Debian. But I have yet to get WINE or Proton to work with games not already supporting Linux.

Anyways, good luck and have fun!

Last edited by IncredulousP,
D

Deleted User

OP
So I went with ubuntu budgie but.... the onboard audio was really scratchy and distorted. I tried Mint I like it. At one point I was using Arch bleeding edge almost took out my system. Will look at this again down the line determine to go with Linux Base OS just wished audio driver support was better.

I am comfortable with most distros however it does take me a while to spin up the machine the way I want it. I have a gf now so most of my time is with her because we are transatlantic I want more time with her because of time difference.

Thanks everyone for your advice will go down the ubuntu route when I get more time to sort things out.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: IncredulousP
D

Deleted User

OP
which audiochipset do you have?

Realtek ALC888B

Its the sound chip on my Ryzen Mobo

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have also use this setup as a hackintosh but a few things let me down on that side too, it was running smoothly

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Try this if you run Ubuntu:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa; sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get dist-upgrade; sudo apt-get install pavucontrol linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2; sudo apt-get -y --reinstall install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2; killall pulseaudio; rm -r ~/.pulse*; sudo usermod -aG `cat /etc/group | grep -e '^pulse:' -e '^audio:' -e '^pulse-access:' -e '^pulse-rt:' -e '^video:' | awk -F: '{print $1}' | tr '\n' ',' | sed 's:,$::g'` `whoami`

https://askubuntu.com/questions/287235/realtek-alc888-sound-card-doesnt-work-after-ubuntu-13-04

D

Deleted User

OP
Try this if you run Ubuntu:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa; sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get dist-upgrade; sudo apt-get install pavucontrol linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2; sudo apt-get -y --reinstall install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2; killall pulseaudio; rm -r ~/.pulse*; sudo usermod -aG `cat /etc/group | grep -e '^pulse:' -e '^audio:' -e '^pulse-access:' -e '^pulse-rt:' -e '^video:' | awk -F: '{print $1}' | tr '\n' ',' | sed 's:,$::g'` `whoami`

https://askubuntu.com/questions/287235/realtek-alc888-sound-card-doesnt-work-after-ubuntu-13-04

Awesome Linuxares Many Thanks

Compiling better drivers into the kernel right and configuring Pulse audio. Also Ubuntu Budgie was running Kernel 4.18.16. Should have gone full Solus rather than Ubuntu core with Budgie front end. Will try again if GF working a long shift

Last edited by ,

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You can just change launcher when ever you can. Remember Solus locks you down to their kind of system, that's why I dislike it some what. But sure, it's "OSX" friendly.

D

Deleted User

OP
So I made the transition. Kind of resolved the Audio issue turn off tsched and enabled echo cancellation however it seems to work on usb audio devices only.

Moved to Kernel 4.20.16 generic for now. Will recompile it for my hardware eventually. Feels stable.
I look at steam and proton next for my gaming.

So far so good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...