Hacking Moving sd card from broken N3DSXL to new N3DSXL

Saviorshand

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I have a similar question to some others that have been posted but different enough I thought a thread would be helpful.

I recently damaged my N3DSXL to the point it will no longer power on. It was during a trigger repair that went horribly wrong. I have shaky hands and I scratched the motherboard along a trace. I’ve decided it’d be best to just get a new one.

My issue is I had a 256gb mostly full sd card with home brew I really don’t want to have to manually reinstall all the apps.

I saw a thread for the transfer when the old console still works but is there a method for when that’s not available?

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
but is there a method for when that’s not available?
If the console doesn't work anymore, how should you transfer the stuff to the new console? Only new install is your only option. Use custom install to install your games. This is much faster.

D

Deleted User

If you have a NAND backup of the old console, then you can use GodMode9 to get the movable.sed from the essential.exefs of said backup, then you can inject it into the new console (1:/private/movable.sed). Then you can continue using the old SD Card perfectly fine! After you run faketik, of course.

Last edited by ,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you have a NAND backup of the old console, then you can use GodMode9 to get the movable.sed from the essential.exefs of said backup, then you can inject it into the new console (1:/private/movable.sed). Then you can continue using the old SD Card perfectly fine! After you run faketik, of course.
Injecting movable.sed seems to come with problems, though I've never been quite clear on the exact details. (I mean, isn't everything on the NAND still encrypted with the old movable.sed?)

I just thought I should mention that a safer alternative is to use ninfs on a PC (with the old movable.sed) to decrypt the save data, which can then be unpacked with 3ds-save-tool and restored using Checkpoint. You still have to reinstall the software with that method, but at least you get your save data back.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
D

Deleted User

Injecting movable.sed seems to come with problems, though I've never been quite clear on the exact details. (I mean, isn't everything on the NAND still encrypted with the old movable.sed?)
All that it would do is duplicate the effects of a factory reset, which shouldn't matter, as it's a new console anyway.

Reactions: assassinz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over