Homebrew Moving Save Files from Wii Memory to SD card currpted my SD card?

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yesterday I was enjoying the game "Pirates" on Wii. Afterwards the Wii forced me to make space as the save takes up 73 blocks... So I moved a few games from Wii Memory to SD. When I did that with the save file of "Anno" it took a long time. And then my Wii wouldn't read my SD card anymore:
"The device inserted in the SD Card slot cannot be used"

When I plug the SD card into my computer, the letters are all weird (see picture: right side).
picture.jpg

Do you guys never store save files on your Homebrew SD card? I usually don't (except this time).

-So anyway I thought I could fix the problem myself as I have a backup SD. (see picture: left side).
My Wii recognizes it but when I select the "load" button of the USB Loader GX (version 2.2r1100) in the Homebrew Channel it says: "Error. This is not a valid Wii application"
(my homebrew channel is version 1.1.0 IOS61 v19.26)
Maybe the GX loader is too old (it's an old backup).

Could you help me, please?

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
EDIT:
I have now deleted the USB folder (in "apps") and read in the forums.
Cyan gave a link at the end of last year for a pretty new GX loader (http://www.mediafire.com/download/m32kjd1444k709q/R1259.7z)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-exactly-do-i-need-to-install-the-usb-loader-gx.403354/

Now it runs again. :)
I just need to remember some settings from the GX loader for certain games (other regions).

Original post:
I don't think the card itself is dirty/bad (looks perfect from the outside). So people do move save files on their homebrew SD card?
The moderator Cyan recently helped me with a small problem (the Wii wouldn't start with SD card inserted, so I had to take it out/in everytime I played; the solution was to just rename the bootmii folder).

So now I want to use my backup SD card and update the USB Loader GX. Do I just download USBLoaderGX_Installer_v1.8.exe,
put it in the apps folder and execute the file on my PC? Or is it done on the Wii? Sorry, I forgot how to do this (years ago).

Should I just delete the USB Loader GX from my SD card on my PC? apps/usbloader_gx/

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, just get this and unzip it to your SD card so it looks like this:

/apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol
/apps/usbloader_gx/meta.xml
/apps/usbloader_gx/icon.png

If you're still using 2.2 it might be best to just recreate the folder and don't use the old settings. I'm not sure how smoothly it would upgrade the cfg file.

I think that installer exe downloads files from Google Code still but that's shut down and can't be updated anymore.

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I don't use GX 2.2 anymore. I used the old backup SD card and just deleted the old GX loader folder and replaced it with 3.0r1259.
Should I replace that one now with r1260? Is it save?

One more thing: I have downloaded many (but not all) CD covers. Are they stored on the SD card or on the Wii? If on the Wii, then the very very limited Wii Memory would suffer from it. I hate it that the Wii makes me delete/move Save files even though there are still 150 (or so) blocks free. I could delete the Wii browser (which is not good anyway, but nostalgic^^). And even if you store Save Files on an SD card, it cannot be accessed by a game unless it is first transferred back to the Wii memory again.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't use GX 2.2 anymore. I used the old backup SD card and just deleted the old GX loader folder and replaced it with 3.0r1259.
Should I replace that one now with r1260? Is it save?

One more thing: I have downloaded many (but not all) CD covers. Are they stored on the SD card or on the Wii? If on the Wii, then the very very limited Wii Memory would suffer from it. I hate it that the Wii makes me delete/move Save files even though there are still 150 (or so) blocks free. I could delete the Wii browser (which is not good anyway, but nostalgic^^). And even if you store Save Files on an SD card, it cannot be accessed by a game unless it is first transferred back to the Wii memory again.
They are on the SD card root in the "usbloader" folder, I believe (not sure about the name)

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I doubt it's in the usbloader folder as I still have exactly the same ones even though I used an old back-up. By it doesn't matter (the important thing is that it's on the SD card).

I have noticed there are much more settings now. I won't mess with them without knowing what they do. I also see that Cyan is part of the coding team for the GX loader. WOW. This seems to be a VIP forum.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB Loader GX defaults to keeping all of its files in the folder with the boot.dol. Covers should be in that folder as well under "/images/".

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
by default, the downloaded covers are located in /apps/usbloader_gx/images/ folder.
but you can change the path to anywhere else, for example on USB instead of SD, but I recommend keeping all resources (downloaded data, configs, cheats, etc.) on SD card.

1260 is the current version suggested by the internal update menu.
if there are new updates, it will prompt you to update when you connect the loader to internet. (by auto-enabling network at launch, or when downloading a cover or checking updates manually)

Your SD card issue is caused by a corruption of the File Allocation Table (FAT). this is where the FAT32 partition keep the file's name and location on the device.
something went wrong while writing to your card, either the console did a bad job (less likely, but can happen) or your SD card has an issue (a bad sector, in this case it will happen again), or physical issue (the SD card disconnected while writing; or you forced a shutdown or eject before the end of the transfer).
This is why computers have "safe eject" option, and why games tells you to never shutdown the console when saving is in progress, etc. (as best it corrupts your SD card, at worse it corrupt your console's data and never boot again)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night