Moving from Luma3ds to Luma + Gw

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by KVPrasad, Jun 3, 2016.

1. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    So I have a 3ds XL and a N3ds XL both on A9LH + Luma.

The o3dsxl has a capture card mod and I have 1 gateway card. Following around I have decided to move the o3ds XL to Luma + Gateway but I cannot get their arm9loaderhax.bin to work.

#Attempt 1
    rename the arm9loaderhax.bin file to a_GW.bin and place into luma/payloads. Boot holding A - Nothing, boots into Sysnand

#Attempt 2
    rename arm9loaderhax.bin to x_GW.bin (rename x_Uncart to a_Uncart) - Red Dragon boots, and then black screen. (Uncart does not boot with A button)

Ideally I would like to keep Uncart on X and move Gateway to A or B even.

I am using gateway 4.0b files from their website. Launcher.dat on the root of SD. boot.3dsx from original a9lh guide. Sysnand 11.0

Help me please. What mistake am I making.

2. dabu-sapper

dabu-sapper Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2015
    Gambia, The
    AFAIK, you need an emunand for Gateway

3. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    Hmm does this mean that I need an emunand on the SD card already. Gateway cards typically boot into the menu if you don't and allow you to create an emunand at runtime, something i'd be glad to have done. It's just right now it's not booting into the menu at all.

4. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    KVPrasad likes this.
  5. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    You should be able to just boot a payload with launcher.dat on the root of your card
    Sysnand Gateway mode works fine.

6. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    Wow thanks for that ... at least that fixes my chainloading issue. Thanks

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Right now I get the to the Red Dragon logo then a black screen after. I can't even get the menu to open.

7. Temptress Cerise

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Red dragon, and then black screen. I've heard of that issue before, sounds like someone didn't properly remove emuNAND with EmuNAND9's "Format SD (No EmuNAND)" - If you removed your emuNAND using format tools like EaseUS or the like, then that's why. Gateway is still seeing your emuNAND and trying to boot it, holding L while you see the red dragon should force it to go the menu.

8. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    This SD has never had an emuNand on it. I followed the original guide and removed the rednand after a9lh completion. Now using the L+A option I get to the point where the menu is *starting* to load but it still ends up black screen before the menu items show up. At least I can see the whole Gateway 4.0b text. It's a start

9. sedatbjk

sedatbjk Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2007
    i didn't touch any files from luma, i just renamed gateway bin file to x_GW.bin and copied it to SD:/luma/payloads, holding x boots into gateway mode, otherwise luma, and both in sysnand mode (11.0)

Xenon Hacks likes this.
  10. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    Did you downgrade with gateway or using the github guide. Did you change anything else. Is this a N3ds or Old?. Which version launcher.dat file are you using? Where did you place it.

Last edited by KVPrasad, Jun 3, 2016
  11. sedatbjk

sedatbjk Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2007
    i downgraded and did a9lh hack all with github guide, after that i updated luma to lates version. there was another bin file in /luma/payloads folder for x key (i think it was uncart, i backed it up and then deleted since i don't need it) after that i copied gateway bin file to that folder and renamed it to x_GW.bin and also copied launcher.dat file from gateway installation zip file, to root of my sd card. that's all

KVPrasad likes this.
  12. xy2_

xy2_ GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    France
    What the fuck?

13. KVPrasad
    OP

KVPrasad Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2014
    Fiji
    Lautoka, Fiji
    I'm trying this right now...standard SD card format and doing what you said.

EDIT:

This worked ... Now how do I setup a gateway emunand. Or do I use emunand tool for that

Last edited by KVPrasad, Jun 3, 2016
  14. Temptress Cerise

May 1, 2016
    United States
    OK. Here are all the various setups I have tried with Gateway's a9lh.bin. (Before you ask, I tried all these methods because I was bored and people wanted to know.)

Followed the Plailect's Guide till the very end. (Meaning redNAND//emuNAND have been properly removed by EmuNAND9)
    Meaning using Delebile's Fork of arm9loaderhax (screen-init as far as I am aware)
    Used as a Luma3DS payload set to down_GW9.bin - Works with Launcher.dat on root with the following versions 3.7.1 / 4.0a /4.0b.
    Tested with CtrBootManager9 and BootCTR9, all worked fine as well.

Switched to Aurora Wright A9LH fork (no-screen-init fork)
    Used as a Luma3DS payload set to down_GW9.bin - Didn't work, black screen only.
    Tested with BootCTR9, works fine. Works with Launcher.dat on root with the following versions 3.7.1 / 4.0a /4.0b.
    Tested with CtrBootManager9, doesn't work with Dshoe's branch of CtrBootManger9. May work with the other branches, though untested by me.

o3DS system.

Last edited by Temptress Cerise, Jun 3, 2016
    julian6732 and astronautlevel like this.