Moving from gateway red 4.2 OFW to Luma/A9LH-few questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by SirhanSquared, Nov 14, 2016.

1. SirhanSquared
    OP

SirhanSquared Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    United States
    I have an O3DS with OFW 4.2 and have been running gateway with emunand 9.2 forever. Would like to change to luma/A9LH to avoid emunand, faster boot up, online support, and GBA support. I've read and can follow the plailect instructions just fine.

A few quick questions:
    What is the best way to retain and apply my gateway saves if I go to Luma? I found the following in the forums but it looks like the instructions are written for gateway only.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/transferring-gateway-3ds-saves-to-cia.441438/#post-6673842

Also, one of the key advantages of gateway on the O3DS is ability to store games on both the gateway microSD and full SD. Is there a way to retain that ability with Luma?

Finally, if I do decide to upgrade gateway to the current beta with the A9LH loader, does it interfere with my saves?

Thank you to everyone in the community who works on this site, it's an invaluable resource.

Last edited by SirhanSquared, Nov 14, 2016
    Zidapi likes this.
  2. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    You can't continue using .3ds games from the Gateway card in CFW.

However, you can dualboot Gateway and another CFW. So you can just choose whichever one you need at a given time.

3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Zidapi likes this.
  4. SirhanSquared
    OP

SirhanSquared Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    United States
    @Quantumcat So that process you liked will allow dual boot? Will it boot to luma by default?

5. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Yes, by default that boots into Luma.

6. SirhanSquared
    OP

SirhanSquared Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    United States
    How about transferring the gateway saves to CIA files in luma? Thanks again!

7. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yeah it will be set up so that you hold a button to access Gateway. But you'll find you don't use Gateway all the time - only when you want to cheat on a game. Note that Gateway sysNAND will brick if you update in it (so you must be in Luma to update), and also Gateway doesn't let you play GBA or DSiWare games.

Zidapi likes this.
  8. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
  9. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can follow the guide you linked yourself :-) Edit: Or TemptressCerise's

10. SirhanSquared
    OP

SirhanSquared Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    United States
    @Quantumcat thanks for clearing that up, does having a dual boot slow down load times?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thank you both @Quantumcat and @Temptress Cerise for your help! I feel a lot more confident now going into the switch to AL9H and luma and am looking forward to not having to go through menus to boot into emunand on boot!

11. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    Remember never to update sysnand in Gateway mode. Only Luma provides FIRM protection, which prevents a9lh from being overwritten on an update.

Zidapi likes this.