Hacking Moving content to a new HDD

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 500GB HDD from my PS4 that I want to move to my PS3 which currently has a 120gb drive in it, the 500GB hasn't been formatted yet so I have a couple of questions:

1. Will I have to wipe the 500GB first before being able to swap?

2. will I have to reinstall CFW again?

3. Is they're an easier way to transfer all my data from the 120GB to the 500GB? I don't have a laptop or anything like that so i'm not sure how to go about making a transfer.

Worst comes to worst I will just have to reinstall backups/emulators ect, but i'd possibly rather avoid having to rehack if possible.

konsolenumbau.expert

Trophies
Website
konsolenumbau.expert
XP
Country
Germany
Hey up.

The PS3 will tell you to format the new drive anyway. I tend to format them first on a PC but as soon you put a new Drive in a PS3 it will be formatted anyway.

You only have to install your CFW once again like you did before.

So HDD will be formatted in the System and then the System tells you to insert a Stick with the right Firmware Version. This is were you choose your CFW you had on the PS3 before swapping HDD.

The easyiest way to transfer Data as far as I know is to use the internal Backup Function. Have a look in the Settings.

You need a external HDD and transfer everything on the external. After setting up your "new" HDD you simply import that backup.

But not everything is restored as i remember. I think all Achievement will be gone but I´m not quit sure about this one.

Greetz Seb

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey up.

The PS3 will tell you to format the new drive anyway. I tend to format them first on a PC but as soon you put a new Drive in a PS3 it will be formatted anyway.

So HDD will be formatted in the System and then the System tells you to insert a Stick with the right Firmware Version. This is were you choose your CFW you had on the PS3 before swapping HDD.

The easyiest way to transfer Data as far as I know is to use the internal Backup Function. Have a look in the Settings.

You need a external HDD and transfer everything on the external. After setting up your "new" HDD you simply import that backup.

But not everything is restored as i remember. I think all Achievement will be gone but I´m not quit sure about this one.

Greetz Seb

It's been awhile since I put CFW on my PS3 but I think I had Cobra CFW. So when it asks for a firmware can I just load a CFW or does it have to be an offical PUP file? also will I lose all my programs such as multiman ect,?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So when it asks for a firmware can I just load a CFW or does it have to be an offical PUP file?
That depends on what your console will accept: for example if you have CFW but the QA flag off, it will accept (with some limitations for very large version jumps) any CFW or OFW of the same or higher version

also will I lose all my programs such as multiman ect,?
They are on the HDD, of course; the official backup feature, as much as it sucks, is supposed to include them - so will a manual FTP backup if including the right folder (hdd0/game)

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That depends on what your console will accept: for example if you have CFW but the QA flag off, it will accept (with some limitations for very large version jumps) any CFW or OFW of the same or higher version

They are on the HDD, of course; the official backup feature, as much as it sucks, is supposed to include them - so will a manual FTP backup if including the right folder (hdd0/game)

What is QA flag?

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/QA_Flagging#QA_Flags_Features

An attribute stored in flash memory that enables downgrading and access to debug settings (even on *FWs that don't force them to be visible)

So the PS3 let's you transfer to an external HDD? I never knew about this, how do you do this? I have an external I might be able to transfer so once I transfer and set up my new internal HDD on my PS3 can I just copy all my files over somehow? I really just don't wanna have to redownload my games an applications.
Hey up.

Greetz Seb

Wait so when I swap to a new HDD to I install a CFW or an offical FW file? I think I had Cobra Ferrox CFW as a cobra logo appears whenever I turn my PS3 on/

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So the PS3 let's you transfer to an external HDD? I never knew about this, how do you do this?
Debug settings > hdd exchange utility
Though its success rate is not that good, or so I heard

Wait so when I swap to a new HDD to I install a CFW or an offical FW file? I think I had Cobra Ferrox CFW as a cobra logo appears whenever I turn my PS3 on
If you have a NAND console you don't need to reinstall the OS; for any other one, simply supply any OS you want (CFW is fine if your console is already modded, lower versions are fine if you have QA enabled)

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Debug settings > hdd exchange utility
Though its success rate is not that good, or so I heard

If you have a NAND console you don't need to reinstall the OS; for any other one, simply supply any OS you want (CFW is fine if your console is already modded, lower versions are fine if you have QA enabled)

sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about a NAND console?

by debug settings do you mean when you hold the power button or whatever and bring up the menu?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about a NAND console?
Look up your model of console (CECH-*) to find out what kind of internal storage it uses: NAND, NOR, or EMMC

by debug settings do you mean when you hold the power button or whatever and bring up the menu?
No, that's recovery

Debug settings are opened by pushing the appropriate buttons in the right place (after enabling the QA flag), or if you use Rebug they are always visible in the first place

Reactions: kbf

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Look up your model of console (CECH-*) to find out what kind of internal storage it uses: NAND, NOR, or EMMC

No, that's recovery

Debug settings are opened by pushing the appropriate buttons in the right place (after enabling the QA flag), or if you use Rebug they are always visible in the first place

m PS3 says CECH-2501A so do I have a NAND console so if I put in a new HDD I won't need to reinstall CFW? but you're saying if I do have to then when it asks for a firmware file I can just give it a CFW one? by the way just to specify the CFW appears to be Cobra Ferox FW version 4.82, will any of this make a difference?

Also it looks like I need to enable the QA flag first? how do I do that?

Also i'm hitting all the button combos but I can't bring up the debug menu lol. It's D-pad down right?

Also will I have to/is it going to try and format my external?

So do I need another cfw in order to get the QA flag mode or is they're an easy way to get it through cobra ferrox? cuz I found this:

https://rebug.me/toggle-qa/ and this, please help I don't understand any of this, my FW is 4.82.

Last edited by kbf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)