Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kxeakS6.jpg

Wait 'til your announced? Pfft, screw that, even if we're on each other's Steam. What this palace needs is some releases, and luckily, it looks like that's exactly what we're getting.

Still missing are a lot of other features that platforms like the Xbox has that the Steam Universe lacks (natively). Where is Netflix, Spotify, Hulu, HBO Go, or other media streaming services that also make up the backbone of entertainment in the living room? Well, according to the folks at SteamDB, a lot of these services, or ones like them, could be making their way into Steam and the Steam Universe soon.

SteamDB said that Valve updated their Steam binaries in a beta update today, and they found that a few new application-type IDs were added. Films, TV Series, Videos, Plugins, and Music are all coming to Steam. We were kind of given a hint that Valve was moving towards these services in another beta update a few weeks ago. In the update were references to the popular Spotify music player.
:arrow:Valve Time
[prebreak]Continue Reading[/prebreak]
Here's a closeup of that picture.

So Steam is sort of like the Blob, absorbing all media in its path as it grows larger and larger, soon threatening to engulf everything. There's a Gabe Newell joke here somewhere, but I'm too kindhearted to go in that direction.

With recent reports that Valve is ready to unveil Source 2, it looks like the big little-company-that-could has a lot on its plate. I will also avoid the obvious Gabe Newell joke here.

Of course, implementation of all these features could be pretty messy. Only time will tell if this goes in like a good vape or if it comes out worse than a Cleveland Steamer.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You had me at "Spotify on Steam".

That's all I really want, I think adding the music player was neat but it's not compatible with my Spotify.

However I'm sure people here will bitch about Steam for some stupid reason.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You had me at "Spotify on Steam".

That's all I really want, I think adding the music player was neat but it's not compatible with my Spotify.

However I'm sure people here will bitch about Steam for some stupid reason.
Here, I'll do it.
Steam is only for games and like this it'll just get cluttered and messy, people will lose focus on the games >:-(
(disclaimer: not actually my opinion)

Reactions: migles

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here, I'll do it.
Steam is only for games and like this it'll just get cluttered and messy, people will lose focus on the games >:-(

They could easily have a "music" tab or a "movies" tab. Just like Google Play or the App Store or, really, any multimedia delivery service.

It's just adding more to Steam without taking anything away.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They could easily have a "music" tab or a "movies" tab. Just like Google Play or the App Store or, really, any multimedia delivery service.

It's just adding more to Steam without taking anything away.
Yeah, I know. I really don't care either way. Movies have been on Steam for a while anyway, but listed under games (Indie game: the movie and the documentary Free To Play). This'll just make it easier to distinguish them. Also, Steam trading cards and achievements for things like Netflix incoming lol

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, a real potential app store that isn't Apple-related I wouldn't be ashamed to use. How will these will be integrated into Steam is anyone's guess, let's hope they don't eff it up.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Next they will play all their games via drones and sell really crappy Phones with "steam prime"... basically amazon.

Watch this wind up becoming another service that some shows sign exclusively with. Got Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime? Too bad, now you gotta get Steam too, bro.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Watch this wind up becoming another service that some shows sign exclusively with. Got Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime? Too bad, now you gotta get Steam too, bro.

Steam has already had its share of exclusivity and there's no way Valve could get Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, etc to sign off exclusively with them.

Also Steam is free and pretty much anyone who plays PC games has it on their computer. It's literally one of the first things I install on any new computer I get along with Chrome, Skype, and Spotify.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, they might want to invest in offering anime to download and stream. They should start with the States and Europe first to test the waters, if they did that and got popular, then Steam could go into the Japanese market and offer full BD volumes to download and price it much cheaper than physical copies which would solve the the high premiums for BD volumes in Japan.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, they might want to invest in offering anime to download and stream. They should start with the States and Europe first to test the waters, if they did that and got popular, then Steam could go into the Japanese market and offer full BD volumes to download and price it much cheaper than physical copies which would solve the the high premiums for BD volumes in Japan.

Or people could use crunchyroll for a low flat monthly rate and not bundle a bunch of shit that isn't necessary.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Or people could use crunchyroll for a low flat monthly rate and not bundle a bunch of shit that isn't necessary.

CR doesn't offer anime downloads though nor does any legal anime site to date. Someone needs to take this market while it's still available and Steam would be a good fit.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CR doesn't offer anime downloads though nor does any legal anime site to date. Someone needs to take this market while it's still available and Steam would be a good fit.

Considering people on steam rarely play the shit they buy on whimisical sales and end up with a backlog of dusty forgetten content, what makes you think the same wont happen with anime? Just watch it in real time whenever you want without downloading. Sticking to the illegal route or crunchyroll is infinetely better anyway.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Considering people on steam rarely play the shit they buy on whimisical sales and end up with a backlog of dusty forgetten content, what makes you think the same wont happen with anime? Just watch it in real time whenever you want without downloading. Sticking to the illegal route or crunchyroll is infinetely better anyway.

That is true and I hear people having backlog on illegally downloaded anime but it would help in at least getting some less popular anime to sell, for example very few people in Japan are going to buy M3 Sono Kuroki Hagane at launch, with a sale, people might buy it since it will be worth the price or bundled in with another anime they might want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night