Movies, TV, Music, and More Coming to Steam

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

Wait 'til your announced? Pfft, screw that, even if we're on each other's Steam. What this palace needs is some releases, and luckily, it looks like that's exactly what we're getting.

:arrow:Valve Time

Here's a closeup of that picture.

So Steam is sort of like the Blob, absorbing all media in its path as it grows larger and larger, soon threatening to engulf everything. There's a Gabe Newell joke here somewhere, but I'm too kindhearted to go in that direction.

With recent reports that Valve is ready to unveil Source 2, it looks like the big little-company-that-could has a lot on its plate. I will also avoid the obvious Gabe Newell joke here.

Of course, implementation of all these features could be pretty messy. Only time will tell if this goes in like a good vape or if it comes out worse than a Cleveland Steamer.

2. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    You had me at "Spotify on Steam".

That's all I really want, I think adding the music player was neat but it's not compatible with my Spotify.

However I'm sure people here will bitch about Steam for some stupid reason.

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Here, I'll do it.
    Steam is only for games and like this it'll just get cluttered and messy, people will lose focus on the games >:-(
    (disclaimer: not actually my opinion)

migles likes this.
  4. Guild McCommunist

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

They could easily have a "music" tab or a "movies" tab. Just like Google Play or the App Store or, really, any multimedia delivery service.

It's just adding more to Steam without taking anything away.

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Yeah, I know. I really don't care either way. Movies have been on Steam for a while anyway, but listed under games (Indie game: the movie and the documentary Free To Play). This'll just make it easier to distinguish them. Also, Steam trading cards and achievements for things like Netflix incoming lol

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    ho look, another app store, in the future there will be more different app stores than content for them..

Sporky McForkinspoon likes this.
  7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Good, a real potential app store that isn't Apple-related I wouldn't be ashamed to use. How will these will be integrated into Steam is anyone's guess, let's hope they don't eff it up.

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Not too surprising...at all, really, since they announced this stuff way back when they announced SteamOS. Nice to know it may be coming soon though I guess.

9. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Add TV and we have a better XB1.

10. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Next they will play all their games via drones and sell really crappy Phones with "steam prime"... basically amazon.

11. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Just more shit to filter out when searching for deals or new games.
    The spotify feature is really damn cool though.

12. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States

Watch this wind up becoming another service that some shows sign exclusively with. Got Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime? Too bad, now you gotta get Steam too, bro.

13. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Cool beans. I approve.

14. Guild McCommunist

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

Steam has already had its share of exclusivity and there's no way Valve could get Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, etc to sign off exclusively with them.

Also Steam is free and pretty much anyone who plays PC games has it on their computer. It's literally one of the first things I install on any new computer I get along with Chrome, Skype, and Spotify.

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I guess this kind of stuff will be necessary once they launch SteamOS properly, so I can't say that I didn't expect this.

16. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Interesting, they might want to invest in offering anime to download and stream. They should start with the States and Europe first to test the waters, if they did that and got popular, then Steam could go into the Japanese market and offer full BD volumes to download and price it much cheaper than physical copies which would solve the the high premiums for BD volumes in Japan.

17. Vengenceonu

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Or people could use crunchyroll for a low flat monthly rate and not bundle a bunch of shit that isn't necessary.

18. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    CR doesn't offer anime downloads though nor does any legal anime site to date. Someone needs to take this market while it's still available and Steam would be a good fit.

19. Vengenceonu

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Considering people on steam rarely play the shit they buy on whimisical sales and end up with a backlog of dusty forgetten content, what makes you think the same wont happen with anime? Just watch it in real time whenever you want without downloading. Sticking to the illegal route or crunchyroll is infinetely better anyway.

20. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    That is true and I hear people having backlog on illegally downloaded anime but it would help in at least getting some less popular anime to sell, for example very few people in Japan are going to buy M3 Sono Kuroki Hagane at launch, with a sale, people might buy it since it will be worth the price or bundled in with another anime they might want.