movies on the Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Hooya, Jan 9, 2007.

Jan 9, 2007

movies on the Wii by Hooya at 7:07 AM (2,257 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Hooya
    OP

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Anyone know if the Wii supports playback of Divx movies? I assume not but you never know. I wonder if movies burnt to CD or DVD will play.

If not (I think not) has anyone heard rumors if the console ever will be able to play them?

What about the streaming services I've heard about? Are any getting particularly good yet?

If this has been covered completely in another thread please point me in the right direction, but I hadn't seen anything comprehensive.

2. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
  3. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Sorry for going off topic but has there ever been a homebrew device that watches AVIs on the PSP without the need to convert them to MP4?

4. [VAF]Flyper

Newcomer [VAF]Flyper Advanced Member

Spain
    PsPlayerMT.

But videos must have less resolution than the PSP screen.

5. squirt1000

Banned squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

United Kingdom
    Has anyone here tried out this yet?

http://www.orb.com/

It allows you to stream content from your PC to your Wii via the opera web browser, Im gonna give it a try tomorrow when I get in from work so ive got time to play with it properly [​IMG]

6. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    IF dvd-drive() = accessable
    THEN MFE-frontend-GameCube-Linux

*edit*
    Just in case that's too cryptic for you [​IMG]: If one can acces the drive and read data from a home burned disk, you can prepare a GameCube linux disc that contains the MFE frontend/distro. Together with that distro and a dvix movie you can play it on your Wii/TV.

7. kirra

Member kirra GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How'd it go? Does it lag? I'm trying to watch some movies without moving them onto the SD card.

8. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Yay streams. There's that one site that is youtube but made for the Wii, so you can watch all those subbed animes on TV, yay. http://www.redkawa.com/sofatube is the site.

9. directive0

Member directive0 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    heres hoping the final iteration of the opera browser utilizes the FULL screen (none of those top and bottom kooky black borders) and the nav bar at the bottom is hidable, that would be the best. It sucks that I can't fullscreen youtube and dailymotion vids to their full rez.

10. rukiri

Newcomer rukiri Member

Orb is *alright* but definitely not ideal.

It works, I've played anime streaming to my wii in the opera browser using ORB, but the quality is ~youtube level, if not a little worse, and because of opera's white bar along the bottom, the video isn't even that big.
    Think of it as a private YouTube of your own videos.

The biggest issue, in my opinion, is that ORB has to re-encode your videos on the fly to stream them, and that takes lots of CPU power. My CPU is an older AthlonXP @2.11Ghz and it seems as if it can barely re-encode fast enough for orb to stream, resulting in some stuttering.

Also, considering that the wii output is limited to 480p anyway, maybe we're all better off hooking up a computer to our tv's? if have hdtv's?

For now, I'm sticking to re-encoding things I want to watch to DVD-Video format and playing them on my DVD player.

11. Skyzoboy

Newcomer Skyzoboy Advanced Member

France
    One word : Weezo ! http://weezo.net/index.php?lang=en

A good computer for high quality real-time Flash video streaming is usefull. The render is really good (despite of opera bottom navigation bar ...) and configuration is easy.

For audio/video streaming on Opera, I find it's the best !

12. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I still use my xbox to stream all my movies. You can pick up a cheap xbox, softmod it then you can use XBMC. It will play almost any movie format without you messing about converting.

13. championboxer

Newcomer championboxer Member

Australia
    pardon my ignorance...
    so do you literally surf for movies via xbox?
    or you would d/l or stream the movies off a computer and then into your xbox?

btw, whats XBMC? Xbox Media Center?

thks!

14. kutis

Newcomer kutis Advanced Member

Austria
    i also have the old xbox for my movies...

yes, xbmc means xbox media center... it plays all format (at least 99% of them), can stream from PC, also can read data dvd,.. dvd movies as well, got streaming radio, can be skin to look like x360 (even though i prefer the original skin),.. mmm what else.... owh, play music, and if u understand python, u can write scripts onto it,.. i think it does podcast as well (i think u can find the python scripts for it)

15. rustyself

Newcomer rustyself Newbie

United States
    x109 on xbmc- i will always keep my xbox for this reason- it plays and streams EVERYTHING!

16. Shinsei

Newcomer Shinsei Newbie

United States

I love XBMC for this reason, but I wish the XBox had enough power to decode 720p and higher .mkv

17. Xellos2099

Member Xellos2099 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It even play rmvb, what most chinese subbed anime formet is.