Movie woes...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by lostreverie, Oct 11, 2009.

Oct 11, 2009

Movie woes... by lostreverie at 8:27 AM (1,479 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. lostreverie
    OP

Newcomer lostreverie Advanced Member

United States
    Well, I've been trying to get movie playback working on my wii. So far, the results have been... underwhelming.

geexbox can find the external HDD just fine, but it can only play a minority of videos. Sometimes it will load a video, but there will be no sound and a choppy framerate as it struggles to play it.

MPlayer CE has (a little) more success with playback. It recognizes my HDD only if its connected to the top USB port (the one USB loaders don't use). It will randomly crash, though, because it likes to unmount my HDD pretty frequently. Sometimes I can't even get to the folder the movie is in before CE has already unmounted it.

Some questions:
    Are there any other players worth considering?
    Would I have more success with MPlayer if I formatted my HDD to FAT32 instead of NTFS? I had considered doing that originally but I had a couple of files that were over 4G, and blu-ray rips are becoming more popular.
    What about playing the movies from an SD card? How big of an SD will still work? I forget the deal with SDHC and wii.

Any other advice also welcome. Thanks!

2. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    mplayer ce is all you need man.

have yo installed IOS202 for USB 2.0 speeds?

makes a huge difference

3. lostreverie
    OP

United States
    I did. They seem to have uploaded a new one on their google code page, though, so I will try that, and maybe reinstalling mplayer as well..

Can I ask what filesystem you use?

4. AdamBrunt

Member AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I always use Geexbox but like you have had about 2/3 AVI files which are in a format that is can't cope with (even though VLC copes with them fine). Having said that my portable DVD/DivX player struggles with the same file as well.

Most of my media is on a network share which Geexbox finds with ease but despite trying dozens of times I have never been able to get MPlayer to see.

5. lostreverie
    OP

United States
    Yeah. I'm trying to determine if that's because it's an NTFS partition--is that what you're using too?

I think part of the problem is just that there are too many different video formats. But I am pretty sure it is supposed to be okay with Xvid, and yet it stuttered and faltered when I tried to play a movie in that format. Mplayer is supposed to be more successful here, but it's hard to tell when it won't play nice with my hard drive for more than ten seconds.

6. Eddie_Brock

Member Eddie_Brock GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    *AFAIK*, MPlayer_CE does not support NTFS at this point. Either format it to FAT32 and try that, or use another method...

(The SMB feature in Mplayer_CE works great, I stream all kinds of divx, xvid .avi files from my laptop or desktop PC to the wii thru wi-fi. Give that a try, if all else fails)

7. jazvdb

Member jazvdb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

wait i thought it does?

it lets you choose what format you wanna load

8. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    hmm, it's been a while. I wonder if I ever installed ios202.

I use mplayer-ce through smb. Works pretty well, unless the hard drive is spun down. Then, it'd require restarting mplayer-ce for it to access the share properly. Not a big deal.

mplayer-ce does pretty well in my opinion. it will randomly crash, but it's not too often, so eh. beats the noisy s-video connection from my laptop

9. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    MPlayer_CE definitely supports NTFS AND FAT32.

10. boof222

Member boof222 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Well i think NTFS works because on the computer it says that my HDD partition is NTFS but on the Wii it says FAT32
    wtf is up with that
    i formatted it using a dodgy partitioner (that could be the problem but i can live with it)

11. lostreverie
    OP

United States
    I've never tried the SMB, I'll do that. Kind of sucks that I still have to use my computer as a middle man but at least I wouldn't have to drag it into the living room whenever I want to watch a movie.

12. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    I've tried the SMB couldn't get it to work not sure if router or firewall was stopping connection

13. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    Are you sure you're using the latest version of MPlayer_CE? Open>File>USB should bring up the option to choose to load either FAT32 or NTFS.
    I believe it's MPlayer_CE 0.75

14. another_waster

Member another_waster GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my mplayer ce randomly crashes too... Just stops the wii and the remotes dont even work - but still better than nothing!

15. Eddie_Brock

Member Eddie_Brock GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I stand corrected... The latest version of MPlayer_CE indeed supports both NTFS and FAT32. [​IMG]

SMB works great for me, and all computers/wii are behind a fairly restrictive router. Check the mplayer google page and read up on getting SMB working properly. Its the best way to watch a movie in my opinion... no waiting on transfer times between computer and USB/SD.

16. technom8t

Member technom8t GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    been using SMB for ages now, no problems whatsoever, just make sure your config file is bang on mate.