Movie recommendations

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Gundam Eclipse, Oct 30, 2011.

Oct 30, 2011
  1. Gundam Eclipse
    OP

Member Gundam Eclipse True Demon Route

India
    As the title says, i am looking for some recommendations.
    I want either Sci-fi, Fantasy or martial arts. These three can intertwine with each other, that's fine too. Animated/CG movies of these kind or good too. Also, detective/mystery are welcome as well. However, do note that i don't want gory movies if possible, also no horror movies :C
    If possible, i want them to be after 2000. none from before.

Some that i have watched that i liked:
    The Matrix Trilogy
    Inception
    Lord of the Rings Extended Trilogy
    Harry Potter series
    Chronicles of Narnia
    Sherlock Holmes (2009)
    The Adjustment Bureau
    Source Code

Those are of the top of my head, can't remember any others at the moment.

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention, there's no actual restriction(except horror), if there's a movie with a great mindblowing plot, feel free to suggest it~

2. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Well, The Thing is a science fiction film with horror elements. It's probably John Carpenter's greatest movie; definitely worth checking out. (Also, avoid the remake/prequel at all costs.)

As for other movies (sticking to Sci-Fi because, hey, why not?)... Robocop, Children of Men, Serenity (You should watch the show Firefly beforehand, but it isn't absolutely necessary), Terminator 1 and 2, and the good Star Trek movies (Wrath of Khan (Especially), Search for Spock (Somewhat debatable), The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country,First Contact (Not saying much, but it's the best of the TNG films), and Star Trek: The Star Trek (2009 Reboot)), are just a few that come to mind. All are definitely worth watching.

1 person likes this.
  3. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    I recognize too many films for my own good, so here I'll just give the top 10 recommendations from off the top of my mind.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Fantasy/Romance/Drama/Sci-Fi) - Stands as one of my absolute favorite movies. Watch it and absorb it. It's mind blowing. Absolutely incredible, it's acting, direction, scriptwriting, cinematography, everything stands and rises. It's almost infinitely watchable.
    2. WALL-E (Sci-Fi/Animation/Drama) - It's breathtaking. Watch it and love it. Of course, you probably already have. I'm placing it in the slim chance that you haven't watched it yet.
    3. District 9 (Sci-Fi/Drama) - It's fascinating, if not a tad bit racist. It's worth a watch if you even remotely like this sort of stuff.
    4. A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Sci-Fi/Drama) - Incredible sci-fi movie. It's heartwarming and creatively done, integrated with so much passion in it.
    5. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (Martial Arts/Action) - You like Martial Arts? This is a must-watch. A spellbinding triumph of story, action and style.
    6. Mulloholland Drive (Mystery/Thriller) - A spellbinding modern noir thriller that is a must-watch if you like the genre. It's compelling and balanced, while also being extremely well made.
    7. Spirited Away (Fantasy/Animation/Drama) - It's Spirited Away. If you haven't watched it, go. Do it now.
    8. Memento (Mystery/Thriller) - Film noir at it's finest, I implore you to watch it right now. It's finely structured and well made, filled with surprise and amazement.
    9. Pan's Labyrinth (Fantasy/Drama) - Incredible, artsy, spooky, and an artistic spectacle at it's peak. It puts you in it's own setting and never lets go of you.
    10. The Incredibles (Adventure/Animation) - A film that sits comfy near the peak of the Pixar canon. Never has a Pixar film so effectively captured the concept of human emotion quite as well as this one has.

... GRAH! I just have to give more. Forgive me. :D

11. Waking Life (Fantasy/Animation) - You like Inception? Then prepare to be spellbinded by this animated rotoscope film that places viewers into a total trance.
    12. Zodiac (Crime/Thriller) - A compelling crime thriller that is an absolute must watch if you like it when movies demand your interest.
    13. The Social Network (Drama) - This falls into the "mindblowing story" area. It's not fantasy, not sci-fi, but it damn captures the feel of one very well. It's stylish, aesthetically pleasing, and highly compelling.
    14. The Departed (Thriller/Drama) - Again, in the "mindblowing story" area. It's incredible screenplay well complements the talents of it's regarded director. It's impossible to not find this incredible.
    15. Winter's Bone (Mystery/Drama) - Gets under your skin. It captures emotions so beautifully, yet it's so unknown. What a shame. It's lead is unquestionably effective in her performance.
    16. Star Trek (Sci-Fi/Drama) - It's (dare I say it?) the best retelling of the Star Trek series to the big screen.
    17. Lost in Translation (Drama/Comedy) - Another "mindblowing plot" movie. It's a poignant romantic comedy set against the backdrop of a beautiful modern Japan.
    18. How To Train Your Dragon (Adventure/Fantasy/Animation) - It's probably Dreamworks Animations' best film yet. It's definitely worth a watch.
    19. 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Thing, Star Wars Original Trilogy (and III isn't too bad either), Terminator 1 and 2 (Sci-Fi) - Some older sci-fi movies that I placed in one spot. If you'd find that you'd like to watch one, here they are. :D
    20. Oldboy (and the rest of the vengeance trilogy), Confessions, Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2, Requiem for a Dream, A History of Violence, Inglorious Basterds (Action/Drama) - These are all the more gory movie I wanted to suggest, but couldn't. In the event that you find that you'd want to watch one, go ahead. Just leaving these out there. :D

4. wasim

Member wasim ♫ Music addict ♫

India
    National Treasure
    From Paris With Love
    Percy jackson and The Lightning Thief
    jhonny English
    How to Train your Dragon
    the bounty hunter
    17 Again
    Gulliver's travel
    pirates of the caribbean
    step up
    inidana jones
    the day after tomorrow

since you're in India.....
    3 Idiots

5. ShadowNeko003

Member ShadowNeko003 ~Nyah~

United States
    If you happen to like the The Departed, which is based off of a Hong Kong movie, watch Internal Affairs.

Fearless is a good Martial Arts movie, as well as Ip man (I haven't seen Ip man, but I heard it was good)

Sci Fi: Serenity, The Doctor Who movie (the one with 8th Doctor. Doctor Who is stand alone. The 8th Doctor was only in that one movie, so you're not missing much)

6. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Solaris.
    2001:a space Odyssey and 2010: Odyssey 2.

7. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    *reading previous posts* Most of my best recommendations have already been mentioned.

Dune, (sci-fi) Watch Both versions, but watch the old one first.
    If you watch Serenity (and I highly suggest you do) I cannot stress enough that you should watch Firefly (TV show, 1 season) first. It's well worth it.
    Dr Strangelove: Or "How I learned to stop worrying and love the Bomb" (dark comedy, sci-fi elements)
    Flight of Dragons (Western animation, fantasy)
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (CGI animation, sci-fi, has NOTHING to do with any of the games)

I'm sure I can think of more, later.

8. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    Moon
    Sunshine

9. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    *glances at Old8oy* Moonshine? Sure I'll have some.

Back on topic: Blood Moon (fantasy, indie, mild horror elements)

10. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    lets see if your into anime, ninja scroll, akura. ghost in the shell, vampire hunter d.. always my favorite. as far as movies go. can't really recommend non horror.
    kindom blade, made a real good list for that. me i'm a horror freak(not gor) but true horror films. vertigo or the birds. an some zombie movies (i fricken hate the saw movies they suck).
    for sci fi, what about the adventures of buckaroo bonzi. the day after. they live(rowdy pippers famous movie).

11. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Gundam 00 - The Awakening of Trailblazer

12. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    lol...he said Animated not "anime"... There's a difference... Gosh.

13. Gundam Eclipse
    OP

Member Gundam Eclipse True Demon Route

India
    I...I wasn't expecting these many recommendations @_@;
    Gonna go with these ATM:
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    WALL-E
    District 9
    A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    Crouching Tiger Hidden
    Memento
    Spirited Away
    The Incredibles
    Waking Life
    Zodiac
    How To Train Your Dragon
    3 Idiots
    Ip Man
    Serenity
    Dune
    Flight of Dragons
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    Blood Moon

...Whiiiiiiiich is a pretty big list in my eyes @____@; these will last me a long while, thanks for the recommendations!

14. hey_suburbia

Member hey_suburbia Do The Lizard Bop

United States
    Great suggestions so far.

I would add a few to the list:
    - Reservoir Dogs
    - Usual Suspects
    - V for Vendetta

They are not sci-fi, but they have cool plot twists

1 person likes this.
  15. shadowmanwkp

Member shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Netherlands
    V is kindna sci-fi because it is set in the near future and if I'm not mistaken you could see a few tech gadgets pass by.

16. smile72

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    1.Pan's Labyrinth
    2.Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    3.Paprika
    4.WALL-E
    5.How to Train Your Dragon
    6.Winter's Bone
    7.Howl's Moving Castle
    8.Spirited Away
    9.The Borrower Arrietty
    10.Kiki's Delivery Service (yeah, I know it's predates the 2000s but it's awesome)
    11.Castle in the Sky(Yep another that predates)
    12.Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1980s!)
    13.Princess Monoke (1997)
    14.One Piece:Strong World
    15.Doraemon: Nobita's Great Battle of the Mermaid King
    16.Oblivion Island:Haruka and the Magic Mirror
    17.Summer Days with Coo
    18.Brave Story
    19.Tales from Earthsea (I liked it)
    20.The Girl who Leapt Through Time