Movie Quality on NDS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Havocbean, Nov 23, 2006.

Nov 23, 2006

Movie Quality on NDS? by Havocbean at 12:21 AM (2,752 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. Havocbean
    OP

Newcomer Havocbean Member

I've read on several sites that some NDS Carts allow for movies to be played.
    Whats the quality?
    I mean, how does it compare to other video players?
    Thanks

2. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    if you convert at max settings and 3 passes with batchdpg, its argueably DVD quailty

3. adz

Newcomer adz Member

United Kingdom
    and how big would a 2 hour movie be at those settings?

4. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I tried M3's software in converting an anime AVI to watch on my DS. It took up a huge chunk of my 512mb CF card and although you kinda can make out the subtitles, I wouldn't exactly be dumping my PSP for this anytime soon.

5. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Not surprising. The M3 converter converts to .gbm, a video format that also works in GBA mode. Because no real compression can be run on the GBA processor, the files are big and the quality is lower, not to mention that it's only 10 FPS.

Like fischju said, use BatchDPG, convert your videos to .dpg, and play them using Moonshell. In DS mode.

And for more info on video on your DS, go to GBA The Movie Way.
    Guides, FAQs, and, ahem, sample encodes ("not in any way" full length movies and anime encoded for watching on the DS [​IMG] ).

6. kristianity77

Member kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    Has NDS video really come on this much then recently?? Because I messed around with BatchDPG and it was always a case of trading off sound quality with video quality to get a balance. And i would never say it got anywhere near to DVD quality at all.

7. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    The biggest problem is the memory card speed. Encodes over 250 kbps gave the memory card trouble, and you had to choose video versus audio quality. Faster cards allow for better bitrates. Also, the latest version of BatchDPG has much better encode quality.

8. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    as far as I've seen when used in games the video quality isn't that good...
    thinking mostly of Magical Starsign and Castlevania Dawn of Souls.

9. Shtroodle

Newcomer Shtroodle Advanced Member

Czech Republic
    Hvala veho, I was also wondering how DS deals with movie playback and you made it much clearer.

10. safariman72

Newcomer safariman72 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I recoded the dvd Tron to play on the ds a while ago but it took about 2 hours to convert the avi into the correct format for moonshell to read. If i remember rightly it reduced the size from approx 900mb to just under 200. Picture and sound quality was as good as you would expect for a dvd, sound from the ds speakers was a bit quiet but the headphones was ok.

It can be done and it can work nice but if you bear in mind up to 4 hours to transfer from dvd to ds, whats the point.

11. Moneo

Newcomer Moneo Advanced Member

Well, a DS screen has a resolution of 256x192. What's worse, the color depth is only 18 bits, so you either get noticable banding, or you get noticable dithering. A weak cpu that can't handle fancy encoding algorithms doesn't help - the best that the console offers at this moment is mpeg-1 video+mpeg-2 audio.

As far as personal experience goes, I've tried to convert an episode of, iirc, deadwood with the dpg conversion software that comes with G6 (and it's basically what comes with moonshell, as I've heard), and the results were pretty horrible 8) Anime or cartoons might work better, but with the first you're probably going to have a hard time reading the subtitles 8)))

12. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    Been watching battlestar galatica and lost sample encodes [​IMG] . The quality is great, its just the only thing thats a bitch is the occasional freezing.

As for converting, I've never encoded a movie with batchdpg, only a couple of seasons of family guy and some anime and the quality is normal.

13. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    yes, those are my battlestar galactica sample encodes. TUrn dithering all the way up if it freezes to much

14. wohoo

Member wohoo GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    10 FPS.... that says everything... watch a metal video and you will never watch a video-anything on the ds again (unless it's cartoons, wich is okey [​IMG]) ^^

15. Rayout

Member Rayout GBAtemp Regular

United States
    10 FPS is the .gbm format. Which is just terrible quality.

Encode your videos with batchdpg (not the crapy dpgtools that come with moonshell) and you will have much better luck. Visit:

http://gbatmw.net/ for a site thats dedicated to videos on ds/gba.

With batchdpg I've encoded animes like Last Exile and Eureka 7 and the subtitles are easily read. Quality amazing with vibrant animes like Eureka 7 as with all quality downscaling black/darker colors tend to get fuzzy.

The CG effects in Last Exile look pretty sweet on the DS [​IMG] Wish it was a game hehe.

16. Firon

Member Firon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Funny, I've never had to sacrifice video quality for audio quality. You might want to check out BatchDPG 1.2 or the new 1.3 betas, which have improved quality for audio and video (even on music sections).
    Anyway, as I've said before, the main thing holding back the quality is the 15-bit color screen (yes, it's 15, not 18), and the lack of dithering in Moonshell. With it, the videos could look more like the FF3 intro. [​IMG]

I've encoded anime and TV shows, and they look pretty good, especially the anime. Did FLCL with subtitles and it just looked beautiful. You can check out my encodes on gbatmw.

17. khan

Member khan GBAtemp Maniac

Pakistan
    I have recently watched FFIII & Boktai DS intros and they both look awesome, wondering if it's possible to get hold of Act Imagine video codec [​IMG]

18. Firon

Member Firon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Unfortunately, it's not possible. ActImagine is a commercial codec and they only license it out to official game devs anyway.

19. RyuKakashi

Member RyuKakashi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Though I do wonder why, with the scene being as it is, why someone with the dev kit hasn't just leaked the codec.
    But I guess here isn't proper discussion for that.

20. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    A real wonder is why they havent made a free version for the homebrew scene to show off its power a bit.
    Im sure many poeple wouldnt mind having a little icon on the side in all of their videos.

But eh, the DS is better for games anyway ;P