Movie DVDs?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by drfsupercenter, Jul 9, 2008.

Jul 9, 2008

Movie DVDs? by drfsupercenter at 7:07 PM (5,683 Views / 0 Likes) 76 replies

1. drfsupercenter
    OP

Member drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

United States
    Hi,

I have a WiiKey (I didn't install it yet since I'm honestly scared about ruining it...) and I just thought... if the Wii has a DVD-ROM drive, and the modchip makes it function like a PC's DVD-ROM drive... is there a channel made that can play my movie DVDs?

Someone was telling me you can burn certain types of files to a DVD and then play it using mplayer or something... but surely the capability is there to make something like PowerDVD Channel so you can play movies? Or is there one? Sorry if the answer's already been posted... I'm new to the whole modding thing. (And just figured out how to use HBC)

2. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    DVD is an outdated technology.

XViD AVIs can already be used with MFE, so DVD rips are the way to go.

3. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    wii homebrew does not have access to the DVD-drive
    but in gamecube mode, it is possible. there is a mediaplayer that can run dvd's, but I've never tried it

4. drfsupercenter
    OP

United States
    Um, wtf?

Why would I rip a DVD to XVID if a DVD will always be better quality? And you can't have menus, bonus features, and subtitles from a DVD rip!

So anyway, is there a way to play actual DVDs? (Either burned or store-bought) I know mplayer can play VOB files, and on the computer it can play DVDs, so in theory it's possible, right?

5. mcj

Member mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States

LOL. You're a funny guy

6. SoCalSRH

Newcomer SoCalSRH Member

United States
    kedest is right. here ya go. this was released a while back by team symbiote, http://maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=19907. it runs in gc mode so you have to have a chip that supports gc homebrew and also dual layer (which the wiikey does once updated to 1.9s). i haven't personally tried it since i don't have a need for it, but from what i've read it play dvd's fine. unfortunately it's the best that's out there for playing dvd's on the wii at the moment. other than that you can cross your fingers that there is a breakthrough that will allow wii homebrew to access the disc drive, or that maybe one of the few wii homebrew media players out there will support vob eventually. the only reasoning i can see for the second case is if usb hdd's are supported. it's not likely a 4gb+ dvd is going fit on a 2gb sd card. o/t get that mod installed. if you are unsure of your soldering skills, send it to a reputable installer (wiinewz is filled with them) and you will not regret it. trust me.

7. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Theirs a "Wii w/ DVD reader" coming out in Japan. The dvd player is built in, its been delayed though.

8. drfsupercenter
    OP

United States
    WiiKey can support GameCube homebrew... right? And dual layer because GameCube discs are so small? Or you mean for commercial DVDs? Because DVD-Rs aren't dual layer.

But if I have a WiiKey and I update it, it'll work?

Does anyone know if it's any good? Like comparable to PS2?

As far as VOB/ISO goes, if you have an 8GB flash drive or something you can put ISO files on there... Why exactly can't homebrew access the DVD drive?

9. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    it's very possible already thru some mediaplayer app, I believe in gamecube mode not sure, quite old already. BUT it's supposed to be very bad for the laser. Came around like, half a year ago I believe? So would be nice if there'd be a wii-mode player w. usb support so you could just dump the dvd to a bigass usb stick [​IMG]

10. drfsupercenter
    OP

United States
    Well what of mplayer? Mplayer has a "play disc" function for the computer... did that get ported over? Because if so, even if it can't use the DVD drive, it could read a VIDEO_TS folder on a USB drive.

11. teq

United States
    It can't be any worse for the DVDROM drive than a normal DVD player.

They are built under the same fault tolerances as any other piece of hardware, so this whole paranoia about the laser wearing out is stupid.

12. drfsupercenter
    OP

United States
    XviD is lossy. It will never look 100% identical to the source. 95% maybe but that 5% makes a difference
    to *me*

HuffYUV, maybe. But that ends up being as large as, if not larger than, the VOB files.

Anyway...

So the only way to get a Wii-based DVD player would be to put in a disc, eject it, then put in the DVD movie? Like an Action Replay? (Speaking of Action Replay, does such a product even exist?

13. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    I can use subtitles, and multi-language audio with VLC for my PC with AVI's... don't know where you get your info from... Plus, why would you wanna burn out your Wii's laser running a DVD when you can buy a super cheap DVD player for $20!

14. teq

United States
    I will repeat it as much as I have to, until you guys get it right:

The DVDROM drive in the Wii is no different than any other DVDROM drive. The likelihood of the laser "burning out" is about as likely as the processor or gpu failing. It doesn't happen all too often(unless it's an XBOX360).

If you're experiencing DREs, it has to do with lack of power or bad calibration.

15. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I disagree here - MPEG2 and MPEG4 are both lossy, true.... but transcoding from a lossy format in to anything else will result in degradation. The errors in the original content will be reproduced by the new format - and if the new format is also lossy, more errors will be introduced... the more times you transcode the worse the noise will get. The only way to have no degradation is to transcode only between lossless compression formats.

That being said, modern codecs are pretty sophisticated. If you are concentrating hard enough to pick out noise in a good rip, you're not concentrating hard enough on the content.

x264 rips of BD / HDDVD content can be really stunning.

16. teq

United States
    Encoding to MPEG2 provides the most degredation. There are visual elements in DVDs that tend to be ignored or accepted. When you transcode to any other format, the psychovisual aspects take over and you start noticing artifacts that were already present in the MPEG2 encode.

Truth is, if you know how to properly encode with the codec you're working with, the DVDrip is going to look identical to the original.

Google the name "aXXo". Download one of his releases and you'll see what I'm talking about.

17. manias

Netherlands
    uh, the dvd drive in the wii _is_ different! same holds for a ps2 dvd drive. Generally console dvd drives are crap! Especially with recordable media!
    Also, a generic pc based dvd drive cannot read gamecube games and wii games for example. So there are differences.

18. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    hasnt this issue been covered in a thread already?

19. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    PS2 discs are licensed, and do use the DVD name/logo unlike Wii ones. But PS2 is still different enough that games can't normally be burnt to run on unmodded systems.

20. manias

Netherlands
    yeah aaaaaaages ago as well.. oh well [​IMG]