moneybanks14

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Currently running games off an external HDD 1tb, game saves are internal.

I'm wanting to upgrade to 4tb external but don't want to have to download and install every game again.

Is it possible to transfer the content from the smaller HDD to the higher HDD as it is?

Thanks.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might be able to backup the app.db, then reuse it (not sure). if you want to backup saves, export them to a flash drive (may have to use account activator). I didn't back up my games, because I already had them as pkg files, but on 5.05, I got rid of a banned account by formatting the drive with a sata station, then initializing it with firmware install in the recovery menu. I had exported my saves beforehand, so all I had to do was activate the new account with account activator, then use save mounter. every save and game works. :D you might have to activate your old account, because I encountered an issue where if the account was no longer present on the system (was using one account and switching it's account id), games would crash almost immediately, so keep that in mind.

laz305

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys

Currently running games off an external HDD 1tb, game saves are internal.

I'm wanting to upgrade to 4tb external but don't want to have to download and install every game again.

Is it possible to transfer the content from the smaller HDD to the higher HDD as it is?

Thanks.
I went thru this mission already. If you still have the pkg files your best off to just delete them and install them again onto the new drive. If not then you have to transfer them to internal and then to new hd which takes forever. Always try and keep pkg file backed up on pc lol

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@moneybanks14 when you say you are currently running games off an external HDD 1tb. Are you using the extended storage method or App2Usb?
If you are using App2Usb you can format your new 4tb hdd to exfat and just copy at the files from the 1tb to the 4tb.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you can afford it, you might go with a 5TB drive instead. afaik, that's the largest drive they make that doesn't require its own power source. the wd black is made for the ps4, xbone, and it has good reviews. I own two of them atm.

Mo Poge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are tools for PC that can clone your hard drive contents from your old one to the bigger one. After cloning, you should be able to use the same tools to extend the partition size to utilize the rest of the larger hard drive.

This link describes cloning the internal drive, but if you just follow the steps after the removal of the internal drive, it should be similar for use with an external drive:

https://www.easeus.com/backup-recovery/clone-ps3-ps4-hard-drive.html

Reactions: Leeful

triften

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you can afford it, you might go with a 5TB drive instead. afaik, that's the largest drive they make that doesn't require its own power source. the wd black is made for the ps4, xbone, and it has good reviews. I own two of them atm.

I have the WD Black 5TB and it's great. I use it with extended storage method and have over 200 titles installed, with 1TB to spare. One disadvantage is that the system process to check the disk for errors takes a little longer when there is a kernel panic, and the system seems to re-index all of those games afterward.

I wonder if I did it all over again if I'd choose App2Usb? Seems convenient...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, that is a problem. I don't know if it rescans if you use app2usb. the system may not even realize you're using an external hdd.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, That's Kero Kero Bonito. They made this all time meme.