1. Jayro

OP Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    CallmeBerto, Y0shII, VinsCool and 2 others like this.
  2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Yep, just need to solder a QSB and snip some pins on one of the chips (DSP IIRC), so super easy to do which is nice.

I'm fairly interested in it, price is supposed to be sub $100 which I hope is true, the main reason I haven't bothered with the PSIO is price, but if this can go for like $50 or $75 or so I'd probably try picking one up.

Jayro likes this.
  3. Jayro

Developer

United States
    Me as well, I've been waiting for a good ODE for PS1 for a long time, and I never liked the PSIO because the install can be tricky for a soldering noob like me.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

i'm entirely uneducated on this, but why isn't there just a drop in solution that doesn't require any hardware mutilation modification?

arjunpatel likes this.
  5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Because the CD controller is located directly on the motherboard instead of on the CD drive itself (like every other optical drive on the planet), making it basically impossible to just "clone" the drive with a separate PCB no mods required.

This is as close as you'll get, soldering a small PCB and cutting a couple pins.

zfreeman and cearp like this.
  6. alexander1970

Austria
    Updateable over WiFi ? Nice Idea.:)

The Differences on the 700x Mainboard(s) are the CD Controller Chips is that correct ?
    So then the 900x Series maybe also should work ?

Thank you.:)

7. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Fan

Norway
    It seems only SCPH-100x, SCPH-5xxx and some SCPH-700x revisions are supported, according to Hackinformer

alexander1970 likes this.
  8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Come back in 10 years and say that.

While not quite as bad as "control with this android app... that will never be updated after launch and thus require older and older hardware and versions running on it, possible to be removed from the store and then have to be found on some random site and sideloaded".

Anyway curious to see what goes here, though I do wonder if FPGA clones might be a possibility before this gets to be something I go in for.

9. Jayro

Developer

United States
    Thankfully, those are the most common models I come across in the wild. I've never seen a 9xxx model in person. The most common I find are the 7xxx models. (I'm in the Pacific Northwest of the USA, if that matters)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation,