Hacking Move CTRNAND from a NAND backup to an other 3DS ?

GBHAKC75

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

My SO's N3DS (11.2) was stolen. I've a full NAND backup (made from Decrypt9) since I hacked her 3DS, and she's got a new one (also a N3DS).
I'd like to know if it were possible to extract the CTRNAND of her old backup and "inject" it in the new N3DS so she could recover her savegames ?

Thanks.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I do believe you can only extract the CTRNAND from within the same system. So basically I can't get the CTRNAND from the NAND of my old3DS on my new3DS. I can only get the CTRNAND of the old3DS through my old3DS.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the CTRNAND is encrypted with console-specific keys. Furthermore, the saved games are on the SD card, not on NAND, and I'd assume the SD card was in the system when it was stolen?

I don't think there's a way to recover the old saves. In the future, however, I'd recommend using JKSM to extract decrypted versions of save files regularly, and occasionally back those up onto a PC.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No, the CTRNAND is encrypted with console-specific keys. Furthermore, the saved games are on the SD card, not on NAND, and I'd assume the SD card was in the system when it was stolen?

I don't think there's a way to recover the old saves. In the future, however, I'd recommend using JKSM to extract decrypted versions of save files regularly, and occasionally back those up onto a PC.
Nintendo has no cloud saves and yeah the saves are stored on the SD card. So basically the OP's saves are gone and lost forever.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If you have a copy of her movable.sed file then you should be able to recover the saves, decrypt9 makes a backup of most of the important files when you do a ctrtransfer to 2.1 during the a9lh setup, iirc it includes the movable.sed so If you still have those files you may be in luck, if you don't......we'll never mind :P

Last edited by gamesquest1,

GBHAKC75

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France

I also have a backup of her SD card. Any thing to do to recover those ?

If you have a copy of her movable.sed file then you should be able to recover the saves, decrypt9 makes a backup of most of the important files when you do a ctrtransfer to 2.1 during the a9lh setup, iirc it includes the movable.sed so If you still have those files you may be in luck, if you don't......we'll never mind :P

I also have a copy of her movable.sed from the 2.1 CTRTransfer.

Any way to recover those using that ? Thanks a lot for your help.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
I also have a backup of her SD card. Any thing to do to recover those ?

I also have a copy of her movable.sed from the 2.1 CTRTransfer.

Any way to recover those using that ? Thanks a lot for your help.
hack the new one, boot into hourglass9, inject the movable.sed then replace the 'Nintendo 3DS' folder with the backed up one

GBHAKC75

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hack the new one, boot into hourglass9, inject the movable.sed then replace the 'Nintendo 3DS' folder with the backed up one

And that's it ? The 3DS will use the old folders with the old saves without anything else ? That sounds awesome !

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
And that's it ? The 3DS will use the old folders with the old saves without anything else ? That sounds awesome !
Should do, yea. Delete the old folder [don't copy/paste/overwrite].

There are some other file(s) in files9 - namely the friendcodeseed that you might also want to inject but just the movable.sed should be enough to reuse the folder with your titles/saves - once you have it restored; I'd run a batch save backup in jksm. So you'll have decrypted save backups.

Edit. Can you post a screenshot if the contents of files9 you have backed up [in case you do actually need to decrypt the nand.bin]

Edit2. I believe you [too avoid any issues; not that the above wouldn't work] use decrypt9; with the backed up movable.sed and N3ds folder - decrypt the folder with that .sed then re-encrypt with the consoles .sed [so you're not touching the nand files at all]

Last edited by HyperT,
Reactions: GBHAKC75

GBHAKC75

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sure, here you go (I've take a screenshot of everything that has been dumped from her console (except the SD card content).

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4 KB · Views: 173
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    1.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited by GBHAKC75,

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd stick to decrypt/re-encrypt. Its in Content Decryptor Options decrypt with backed up movable.sed, dump consoles movable.sed, re-encrypt with that.

Reactions: GBHAKC75

GBHAKC75

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'd stick to decrypt/re-encrypt. Its in Content Decryptor Options decrypt with backed up movable.sed, dump consoles movable.sed, re-encrypt with that.

Thanks a lot for your help. Unfortunately, I forgot that the SD backup that I had didn't contain any recent saves, it was too old (made during the hack) so I couldn't do anything with it. I guess she'll have to start over.

I tried it anyway (the two methods) for learning purposes but it didn't seemed to work, Animal Crossing HHD didn't appeared on the home menu but it should be there as it was shipped with the console and was on the 3DS folder.

Thanks again, though.

EDIT : Maybe it didn't appeared because I didn't had the proper ticket.db (I don't know if that matters with a legit CIA).
Anyway, that's not really important as I can't get her saves back anyway.

Last edited by GBHAKC75,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
    S @ salazarcosplay: does update 19 really block it