Mountain Dew... is disappointing

Klightx15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Voltage used to be good but they changed the formula and now its way too sweet. it gives me gut rot if i drink more than 1 can

Distortion tastes like a stronger version of their first original mountain dew. it gets a little tangy when it starts getting warm

Typhoon tastes like liquid orange gummy bears..... with a small cotton candy taste to it....

Code Red is just plain gross.. cherry flavored mountain dew? i get enough badly artificial flavors of cherry with cough drops and medicine.

LiveWire tastes like Fanta, its just another rip off of orange soda.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked Code Red a bit. It's hard to find now.

They used to have a sour grape flavored Mountain Dew called Pitch Black, and that stuff was awesome. Fucking awesome. It was, unfortunately, a limited time offer though.

The Game Fuel was also pretty good as well. They had it when Halo 3 was getting released. It was kinda gross and tasted a little funky, not to mention was jacked up on more caffeine than the regular Dew, but you somehow liked it.

Haven't drank Dew in a while though, I stick to Dr. Pepper nowadays.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've long since stopped buying the name-brand Mountain Dew, or any name-brand soda for that matter. I've found a couple generic knock-offs of Mountain Dew that I think taste better and are half the price of the name-brands. There's this one brand called Faygo Moon Mist that's kinda tangy, but good. Clover Valley's Mountain Explosion is pretty good from the dollar store. Then there's Mountain Holler from a store called Sav-A-Lot that tastes like what Mountain Dew used to taste like before they cheapened the formula. You guys should look around and see if you can find those brands and give them a try and see what you think of them. Don't expect them to taste exactly like Mountain Dew, but you may find you'll like the flavor even better. The names used for those sodas might be region specific, so you may never see them where you live. Just try some of the generic MD knock-offs available in your area. You might be surprised at what you find.

Stay away from Wal-Mart's Mountain Lightning. That stuff is pretty bitter, IMO. When you pour it in a glass, you can see the difference compared to Mountain Dew and the 3 generic ones I mentioned. It's just not as good.

I wish I could get the flavor of a Monster Energy drink (green one) without it being an energy drink. I love the taste, but I don't need the jittery buzz it can give you, not to mention hating the crash after its little power-up potion effect wears off.

Regular Mountain Dew tastes little more than sugar water these days. Only time I ever drink it is if I eat out now. Most of you probably don't remember when Mountain Dew was in glass bottles. That was when it was the best. Immediately after going to plastic bottles, many sodas didn't taste as good anymore and MD suffered pretty hard. But somewhere along the line, they also cheapened the formula and it's a mere shadow of its original flavor.

As far as their new whacked-out flavor variations of Mountain Dew......didn't care for Red Alert, I generally don't care for orange flavored sodas, that MD from Taco Bell....what's it called....Baja? That stuff is super sour, no thanks. I've not tried all the flavors. I bought that new White or Clear (forgot what they called it) MD and was gonna try it......but somehow I didn't make it out of the store with the bottle. Got home, unpacked the groceries and it wasn't there. My receipt said I payed for it, but no soda. So I didn't get to try it.
unsure.gif
Conversely though, I have a loaf of bread from the same trip, and it's NOT on the receipt. So I guess things balanced out.
rolleyes.gif

My point is, try some of the generic half-price sodas in your area. They might surprise you. And you'll save money too.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Pitch Black was THE absolute best Mountain Dew they ever made. No other flavor can come close to being better. I haven't tried the new 3, and I never got to try Supernova during the last DEWmocracy, but the other 2 were good (I really liked Revolution, and I like Voltage, but it tastes too sweet to me sometimes). I do like Code Red, as well as Baja Blast (Just had some 2 days ago at Taco Bell). I hate LimeWire, and the original hasn't tasted good to me in a while (They might've changed it), but I like the flavor itself. I kind of liked the Halo 3 Game Fuel one, but I had that a long time ago when it was around, so I don't remember much about it. The WoW Game Fuel ones were pretty good, but I think they were the same as other flavors IIRC.

Mountain Dew isn't my favorite drink (Dr. Pepper
wub.gif
), but I do like the different flavors a lot.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
mrfatso said:
nice, u guys have all these favours when in my country, i probably could only recall the original flavour.

It's been a while since i had a can of mountain dew though.Same here in the UK - use to LOVE that drink, couldn't get enough of the stuff... then it just disappeared from our shores

... Now I drink Dr Pepper

EDIT: Ohhh - just did a quick google about it & found this little tit-bit
QUOTERe-release in the UK

In April 2010, Pepsi Co. released over the social networking sites Twitter and Facebook that "We're launching Mountain Dew Energy in the UK! Keep your eyes peeled for the launch in less than a month!" [28]. The drink was named as "Mountain Dew Energy" and supposedly planned to be released into the Energy Drinks market. The decision was caused by a large online petition and many e-mails sent to Pepsi Co. and Britvic by thousands of fans on the petitiononline site.

On April 29th 2010, A Facebook announcement said that the drink would be first hitting retail stores on May 3rd 2010.
Never tried the 'Energy' version before - wonder if it taste like the original that I remember ???

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
CannonFoddr said:
mrfatso said:
nice, u guys have all these favours when in my country, i probably could only recall the original flavour.

It's been a while since i had a can of mountain dew though.
Same here in the UK - use to LOVE that drink, couldn't get enough of the stuff... then it just disappeared from our shores

... Now I drink Dr Pepper
Yay Dr Pepper is great!
I dunno about Mountain Dew though, never tried.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Demonbart said:
CannonFoddr said:
mrfatso said:

It's been a while since i had a can of mountain dew though.
Same here in the UK - use to LOVE that drink, couldn't get enough of the stuff... then it just disappeared from our shores... Now I drink Dr Pepper
Yay Dr Pepper is great! I dunno about Mountain Dew though, never tried.
Well - from what i remember about it- was the weird greeny/yellow colour of it and it was advertised on TV by Ted Rodger (of '321' fame) in the UK, where he turned into a werewolf... Dam why can't I find a clip of it !!!!

mountain-dew-2ltr-bottles.jpg

FullMetalMega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's see the last MD I had...was couple of months ago when they had that throw-back one that was supposedly made with real sugar, I had one every once in awhile, but I mostly drink Dr. Pepper or Green Tea Ginger Ale.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Water is still the best. Pure and tasteless, yet so refreshing and addicting. When you're dehydrating the first thing you think of is water, not your precious mountain dew.
wink.gif

championskill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really enjoyed the "limited time only" mountain dew pitch black... Is that the same as the voltage now... because I don't like the voltage one.

Klightx15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raika said:
Water is still the best. Pure and tasteless, yet so refreshing and addicting. When you're dehydrating the first thing you think of is water, not your precious mountain dew.
wink.gif

unless your water smells like something died in it..... in which case i should get a filter, cuz it would be great to cut out all the soda from my life. even tho i know i could never do that, i love coca cola. best soda ever made.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte