Motocross Challenge (GBA) goes public

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Fun game. It felt like Excite Bike to me.
smile.gif
I loved Excite Bike
biggrin.gif

Gotta try this some time... when i feel like it. I have a few other games i have to play too
tongue.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow that looks pwn, I want to play it.

btw why is it a GBA GAME wtf... convert it to DS and sell it, nobody buys GBA any more heh... I just read that it was cancelled due to low sales.. uhhhhhhhh.......... heh

btw costello your avatar is silly

Pedro UK

Trophies
XP
Country
Last Spartan: I think there was a version of Another World released for free for the GBA. IIRC it was released without the permission of the original Amiga coder but eventually he gave his seal of approval...
smile.gif

Pedro UK

Trophies
XP
Country
I stuck it on my 3in1 earlier. I really like it. Don't know if it would be worth full retail price, they have only really copied (with updates admittedly) a 20 year old Nintendo game. But it is a really nice wee game - Play it now!
smile.gif

Guert

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello everyone!

I heard that someone posted here aboutour game so I thought I'd drop by to see what's going on!

First of all, thanks alot for the nice words and the support. We are happy to see that you are all enjoying our game and it was worth it.

I'll try to answer some questions.

Motocross Challenge is technically a homebrew game because we created it wihtout any budget at all and while learning how to work with the GBA. We created this in our appartments workin' on it whenever we had the time. At first, we never thought any publishers would even consider taking a look at our game but we worked hard and we almost did it.

Speaking of which, we could port the game on to the DS but it would take several hours. Our situation has changed a lot since we started the project and now most of us have bigger jobs leading to a lot of working hours. Most of the team now works for big game companies so going back to independant is not an easy choice. We felt like it was tme to move on to another project and it would be more interesting if people played it for free. It is also why we are not self-publishing the game. At leats not for now.

When we started to talk and deal with publishers, the GBA sales had just began to go bad. There was still a market. But by the time we finaly got a contract signed, the slaes we're lower. We asked our publisher to put out the game before christmas, around november actually, but it told us that we'd better wait until Q2. And here we are today!
wink.gif

Thanks alot for your support and good words. I can't say it enough. We worked really hard to create this game and knowing that people enjoy it makes it all worth while. We're a very small team (3 members plus our web guy) so every support we get helps!

If you have any questions, don't be shy!
wink.gif

I'll come back later to answer everyone.
Take care all!
Guert,
DHG Games

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand

Hello everyone!

I heard that someone posted here aboutour game so I thought I'd drop by to see what's going on!

First of all, thanks alot for the nice words and the support. We are happy to see that you are all enjoying our game and it was worth it.

I'll try to answer some questions.

Motocross Challenge is technically a homebrew game because we created it wihtout any budget at all and while learning how to work with the GBA. We created this in our appartments workin' on it whenever we had the time. At first, we never thought any publishers would even consider taking a look at our game but we worked hard and we almost did it.

Speaking of which, we could port the game on to the DS but it would take several hours. Our situation has changed a lot since we started the project and now most of us have bigger jobs leading to a lot of working hours. Most of the team now works for big game companies so going back to independant is not an easy choice. We felt like it was tme to move on to another project and it would be more interesting if people played it for free. It is also why we are not self-publishing the game. At leats not for now.

When we started to talk and deal with publishers, the GBA sales had just began to go bad. There was still a market. But by the time we finaly got a contract signed, the slaes we're lower. We asked our publisher to put out the game before christmas, around november actually, but it told us that we'd better wait until Q2. And here we are today!
wink.gif

Thanks alot for your support and good words. I can't say it enough. We worked really hard to create this game and knowing that people enjoy it makes it all worth while. We're a very small team (3 members plus our web guy) so every support we get helps!

If you have any questions, don't be shy!
wink.gif

I'll come back later to answer everyone.
Take care all!
Guert,
DHG Games
Very cool to take the time and post here
don't really have any questions, just glad to see you guys have 'big game company' jobs now
smile.gif

Flozem

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I loved Motocross Maniacs on the old gameboy. One of the best games I ever played on the system. If this is even half as good, I'll gladly play it...
smile.gif

Pedro UK

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey Guert! It's nice of you to come by and say hello. Your koudos has just gone through the roof now!
tongue.gif

I've left your game on my DS cart as when I played it a while after I posted here I ended up playing it all night! Seriously. Thanks for the game, you made my evening.

I'm glad all's working out for you guys and I hope to see your work in the future.

BTW: If you decided to do a DS version with online leader boards etc I would buy this in a second (hint, hint!). You should get on to Ninty and get a Mario licence for it!
tongue.gif

acrocosm

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
That's a pretty good idea pedro. I have no idea how much a licence for mario would cost but it could work.

It's a good game and much much more proffecional looking/feeling than many crappy games released for gba, games that I really wonder how the hell they found a distributor and how they even dared to release a game like that, have they got no dignity at all? It's all about quick money. Take a programmer and a graphics artist, through them in a dark basement for 3 months maybe and when they come up with a fast, shit licenced game full of compression artifacts to fit it on a cheap flash rom release it betting on young children that don't read magazines or websites or on mothers and aunts that buy games for presents for their young children having no idea if the game is even playable. But because they have recognizable characters and titles they think they must be good... how wrong they are... So with only paying a minimum you have a game to sell and make a few quick bucks
dry.gif

It's really a pitty to see worthy games like this or the last seal never making it on the market.

On the other hand it's a very nice move to release such games for free of for a symbolic price it makes all this efford and sweat recognizable at some level

And yes it's a clone of motocross maniacs, so what? It's a prettyy damn cool clone and after all aren't all fps's clones of doom? and isn't resident evil a rip off of alone in the dark? I didn't hear anyone complaining about that. In a sence, aren't almost ALL games of a particular category clones of another one?
wink.gif

Guert, maximum respect man, to all 3 (4) of you
bow.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?