Motion Blur (GBA SP AGS-101)

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Lluvia, Oct 31, 2008.

Oct 31, 2008

Motion Blur (GBA SP AGS-101) by Lluvia at 1:55 PM (4,946 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Lluvia
    OP

Newcomer Lluvia Advanced Member

Germany
    I just bought one of the GBA SPs with better backlight second-hand. The first game I tried was Mother 3 and I was quite shocked when I first moved the charakter (up and down), because the floor of the house got a lot darker. When I looked closer I noticed that it was because of the black horizontal lines on the floor, which left their imprint behind when moving.
    Of course I tried other games with it (also original cartridges) and when I looked at the right places I could always see the same phenomenon. I also tried Mother 3 on my DS (old version) and it showed the motion blur (i hope that's the right term for it) too, but it wasn't that noticeable because the screen is not so clear and bright.

My question is if this is normal and happens with all GBA SPs and to what extend.

2. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    I', having the older SP (frontlit), and I haven't experienced anything like this what you're describing..

Is it maybe possible that you have a faulty screen?! I don't know..
    I'm playing Mother 3 on my Micro, but I tried SP, and no problems whatsoever..

3. byonder

Newcomer byonder Newbie

United Kingdom
    The newer backlit versions of the sp were prone to motion blur unlike the frontlit ones. I doubt it's faulty. The screen is nice and bright and high contrast on the backlit version but blacks tend to smear quite alot. The micro has a much better quality screen.

4. santorix10

Member santorix10 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    While the micro does have a better response time (less blurring) it's not as good as the original GBA and the first SP. (Though they do have an annoying scanline/interlace problem)

5. Lluvia
    OP

Germany
    To buy a Micro is not an option for me, because I want a device to play the old GB games. That's the only reason I want to buy a GBA, because I could also play Advance games on my DS.

So it seems nobody really has some first-hand information on this? [​IMG]

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I have a Pearl Blue GBA SP+ (bought used) and it does the same thing. I don't worry over it much though. Still looks better than the washed-out side lit GBA SP's.

7. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Game Boy Micro with Goomba Color?

8. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    My DS Lite gets motion blur, although it's only really noticeable on GBA games.

My two front lit GBASPs don't get this problem.

9. Lluvia
    OP

Germany
    When it is what I think it is (an emulator), then I need roms to use it, but I have the original games [​IMG]. Besides that I already had a Micro and sold it, because I think the screen is a bit too small. If I want to use an emulator I don't need a GBA at all, because it also runs on my DS.
    My question is not "which device is best to play old GB games", but "is my GBA SP screen faulty or not". So far the answer seems to be that the screen is not faulty, which means I should start to get used to the motion blur. Thanks everyone for the answers so far.