Motherboard swapping - what happens to serial number?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Tieracloud, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Tieracloud
    OP

Tieracloud Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    So I have a Pikachu yellow 3ds XL that was updated since getting it, it is on 9.9. My friends black XL is on 9.0 and he broke both screens. So we decided to swap out the motherboards on both systems. And now I have a Pikachu XL with hackable firmware.

BUT I recognized a bad side effect of this. When I go into eshop and then settings I tried to delete the eshop account on his XL with my old motherboard. And it asks for a serial number. Strangely enough it does not accept his serial number but only mine. Is this because the motherboard is locked to the console serial number?

I am just worried that since he is sellilng his as parts that something will come back to me later. Please if anyone knows about this can you give me insight?

2. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    What is weird about it?
    It sound like normal expected operation.

3. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    From what I know, the motherboard is basically the system itself. So essentially you have his 3DS, his Eshop settings, etc. As far as his 3DS knows, it still thinks it's in the black casing, because it can't tell what color the casing is.

AliTheAce likes this.
  4. Tieracloud
    OP

Tieracloud Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    Its strange because from what it seems the motherboard knows the serial number. Hence when it asks for the serial to delete the eshop account it only accepts mine from the Pikachu XL. So in the past when I talked to Nintendo tech support they have asked for serial number of the console and I am just curious on what would happen if they see that mine and that one do not match up. For example, if the worst happens and I have to do a data transfer the nintendo forums say they ask for serial number. So I guess I am out of luck if that happens then.

5. hashcheck1

hashcheck1 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2013
    Warranty void is what nintendo will say.... all you content is attached to your old motherboard. Your serial number is all stored in the system NAND.. it's doesn't care about the chassis and lcd is connected too

6. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    A motherboard swap is literally a shell swap. Haha I actually have an O3DS XL motherboard left after a failed shell swap, accidentally broke a ribbon cable, forcing me to upgrade. The board still powers on when the battery touches the points, so I might get around to backing up it's NAND by hard wiring it in case I can turn my European N3DS into an American one with some magic voodoo.

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    you could get around it by swapping the stickers on the case too so they match up to those of the motherboard, but yeah obviously its the system that remembers the serial etc as its stored in the nand which is on the motherboard you swapped over

8. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    Since he has both working mobo's could he not xor the NAND's and transfer via hardmod?

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    one was on 9.9...so without a nand backup of a pre-9.9 FW he couldnt....he could probably do a blind system transfer off the 3DS with the cracked screen if he had purchases on the 9.9 board he wanted to keep, but there is no way for 9.9 3DS owners to decrypt their nand without a previously generated xorpad or a 9.2 or lower nand backup

10. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    Ahh... I missed the 9.9 firmware on his original mobo.